Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

PSA: REI and Backcountry 20% sale

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-17-21, 12:28 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts

Some things are on sale at both places, and there's a code to get 20% off one item that isn't, except expensive things. Not sure about Backcountry, the REI sale excludes bikes and GPS units. But if you need a new jacket or crankset or something you might be able to save a few bucks.
Old 11-17-21, 06:29 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Yep, ordered a new 105 cassette this afternoon from REI.
Old 11-17-21, 06:46 PM
Seattle Forrest

I forgot to say, as an FYI. You get a 10% dividend in the spring, from all the full price things you bought that year. When you use the 20% coupon, their system does not consider that full price anymore, and you don't get a dividend on that item. It's still better than paying full price, but people should be aware.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 11-18-21, 11:24 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
boycottbackcountry.com?

why boycott?
Old 11-18-21, 01:09 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Fffft - maybe it's for the best, I don't really *need* a new helmet, but the Competetive/backcountry 20% Off promo isn't valid on Specialized.

On the other hand, the 20% off for REI members *does* apply to Rapha, which is better than any sale price you're likely to see from them, other than stumbling across something that you like within their Archive Sale.
Old 11-18-21, 01:27 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
boycottbackcountry.com?

why boycott?
I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Probably about a year ago, backcountry.com the website started suing companies that used the word backcountry in their name or marketing. Stores that sell backcountry skis (that's what they're called, like road bikes) started getting sued. A lot of people stopped shopping with them after that. It's the most likely answer.
Old 11-18-21, 02:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Probably about a year ago, backcountry.com the website started suing companies that used the word backcountry in their name or marketing. Stores that sell backcountry skis (that's what they're called, like road bikes) started getting sued. A lot of people stopped shopping with them after that. It's the most likely answer.
The post I responded to was deleted. cxwrench was the poster, i think? It was a picture of one backcountry goat mounting another and had 'boycottbackcountry' under the image.
Yeah, without that picture for context my post is super confusing!
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-19-21, 07:26 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Some things are on sale at both places, and there's a code to get 20% off one item that isn't, except expensive things. Not sure about Backcountry, the REI sale excludes bikes and GPS units. But if you need a new jacket or crankset or something you might be able to save a few bucks.
The 20% does apply to the Garmin Varia RTL515 though, which was nice.

Also, all Bontrager lights are 20% off without coupon.
Old 11-19-21, 08:28 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
I have an REI credit card, so I think I still get a 5% dividend on sale stuff if I use it when I shop there. By the end of the year I will have racked up around $200. Sadly, the card is not what it used to be. You get 1% back on all non-REI purchases, but they used to have no-minimum specials. Like once they had a 2% back special on groceries. That lasted a long time. Racked up a lot of money that year. Now, when they do run specials, they only kick in after you make something like $3000 in card purchases in a month.
Old 11-19-21, 09:31 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
On the other hand, the 20% off for REI members *does* apply to Rapha, which is better than any sale price you're likely to see from them, other than stumbling across something that you like within their Archive Sale.
The Rapha Archive Sale section is sometimes pretty great, if you're willing to wait and not too fussy about colors. Just this am, I ordered a Classic Jersey for half-price -- $75. I don't need it yet, but at that price I decided to grab it. Best Spring/Fall jersey I've ever worn. And if you ever need it, their CS is the best in the business.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have an REI credit card, so I think I still get a 5% dividend on sale stuff if I use it when I shop there. By the end of the year I will have racked up around $200. Sadly, the card is not what it used to be. You get 1% back on all non-REI purchases, but they used to have no-minimum specials. Like once they had a 2% back special on groceries. That lasted a long time. Racked up a lot of money that year. Now, when they do run specials, they only kick in after you make something like $3000 in card purchases in a month.
I've been a member for about 35 years and am dismayed that REI seems to have become like any other e-tailer -- they send very frequent emails about "specials" that are not special, frequent coupon codes and sales, etc. I suppose that, in the highly-competitive internet era, this is inevitable. I still buy from them whenever possible, but it no longer feels the same.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-19-21, 10:29 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Koyote
The Rapha Archive Sale section is sometimes pretty great, if you're willing to wait and not too fussy about colors. Just this am, I ordered a Classic Jersey for half-price -- $75. I don't need it yet, but at that price I decided to grab it. Best Spring/Fall jersey I've ever worn. And if you ever need it, their CS is the best in the business.
Yeah, I ordered a Pro Team Training Jersey ($69) and a Technical T ($37) yesterday. I already have one of the PTT jerseys and love it; the limited edition colorway that I ordered yesterday was one that I'd decided I wanted when it was released a couple months ago and was surprised to see it in the Archive so soon and for so steep of a discount.

In general, yeah, you can get some great deals with the Archive Sale if you're willing to be patient and keep tabs on the ever-changing inventory. If you happen to be on the smaller or larger side of things, you're more likely to find a great deal. Their bundles are can be pretty great, too. After ordering yesterday, I noticed the Core Flyweight Jersey bundle - two jerseys for $120. I was tempted to place another order!
Old 11-19-21, 11:06 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Yeah, I ordered a Pro Team Training Jersey ($69) and a Technical T ($37) yesterday. I already have one of the PTT jerseys and love it; the limited edition colorway that I ordered yesterday was one that I'd decided I wanted when it was released a couple months ago and was surprised to see it in the Archive so soon and for so steep of a discount.

In general, yeah, you can get some great deals with the Archive Sale if you're willing to be patient and keep tabs on the ever-changing inventory. If you happen to be on the smaller or larger side of things, you're more likely to find a great deal. Their bundles are can be pretty great, too. After ordering yesterday, I noticed the Core Flyweight Jersey bundle - two jerseys for $120. I was tempted to place another order!
I don't see that price today, so I think you got a bargain. At that price, I would've bought one in a heartbeat.
Old 11-19-21, 11:10 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Koyote
I don't see that price today, so I think you got a bargain. At that price, I would've bought one in a heartbeat.
It's the navy/purple-ish Ascent version. They also have black/pink for $80.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-19-21, 12:24 PM
Seattle Forrest

I'd decided I wanted when it was released a couple months ago and was surprised to see it in the Archive so soon and for so steep of a discount.
​​​​​​When that happens, you need to get two. 🙂
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 11-19-21, 12:28 PM
WhyFi

​​​​​​When that happens, you need to get two. 🙂
I almost got both colorways, but then I would have "needed" to buy some bibs to go with the second one.
Old 11-19-21, 08:37 PM
Gravel Rider

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The post I responded to was deleted. cxwrench was the poster, i think? It was a picture of one backcountry goat mounting another and had 'boycottbackcountry' under the image.
Yeah, without that picture for context my post is super confusing!
Yep. Thought you were yelling at the clouds.
Old 11-19-21, 09:16 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
I almost got both colorways, but then I would have "needed" to buy some bibs to go with the second one.
WhyFi Great find! I ordered them both with my wife's approval.

With jerseys as nice as these, who cares they match your bibs or not.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 11-19-21, 09:18 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yup, REI has occasionally had some really good sales on items I actually needed. I think I paid only $20 for Pearl Izumi thermal shoe covers two or three years ago via an online order, and they've performed very well even down into the 20s here. Ditto a couple of smaller Kryptonite U-locks in sizes that fit my jersey pocket so I might actually carry and use one, for around $20.

I've rarely found advertised sale products available in my local REI, but they've sorta compensated by offering great discounts on unadvertised items. A year or so ago I bought a few Shimano and SRAM components really cheaply from REI, including some Shimano BB-UN55 bottom brackets for around $8 each, in common sizes for my older steel bikes.
Old 12-21-21, 03:09 PM
WhyFi

FYI - Just saw that REI put the Pro Team Training Bibs (which are from the same line as the jerseys I'd posted previously and should match nicely) on sale for 25% off. In addition, and unlike when using the 20% off coupons, they'll also be eligible for the 10% dividend (and additional 5% if you have/use the REI credit card). All told, that's a pretty solid deal.
Old 12-21-21, 03:42 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
FYI - Just saw that REI put the Pro Team Training Bibs (which are from the same line as the jerseys I'd posted previously and should match nicely) on sale for 25% off. In addition, and unlike when using the 20% off coupons, they'll also be eligible for the 10% dividend (and additional 5% if you have/use the REI credit card). All told, that's a pretty solid deal.
You could have just sent me a PM, you know.
Likes For indyfabz: