Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek Emonda vs Madone

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek Emonda vs Madone

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-21, 05:09 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by RichLiv
if it helps anyone, I went through this selection process and came out with a Madone SL7 for exactly this reason: isospeed. I had it on my 2013 Domane and it just works. For me, a 57 year old reasonably fast club rider for my age, I'm now doing 100 mile/3k ft climbing rides at 17-18mph in some comfort. It was the right choice for me. It is just fine in the North Somerset hills in the UK though if I lived in the Pyrenees the Emonda's weight would've swung it. Took it on a cyclosportive in Dorset 2 weeks ago -8.5k ft of climbs, 100 miles, no problems. Really fast on flat and downhill, certainly adequate on the climbs too. I'm 75kg so not a stick insect and I have found it brings a smile to my face at times - that's got to be worth something in these times.
Re: The Bold/Underlined Stuff

I would say that if you can say that about your bike pretty much in any times, there is a good chance that you made the right choice in bikes for your situation.

dave
Old 06-22-21, 06:12 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by GAtkins
H2 is the standard frame geometry. You can specify H1.5 in Project One.

Glenn
For 2021, both the Emonda & Mdone are H1.5 fit.
Old 06-22-21, 06:29 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
OP, have you tried a new Domane SLR?
That bike is fairly aero, and very comfortable, I just got one and have ~150 miles on it.
I've also got a 2109 Emonda SLR (rim brake).
The Domane is a bit chunky at ~18 lbs. (Emonda is 13.5 lbs.) but doesn't ride like an 18 lb. bike, it's fast & very stable, I actually seek out ruts in the pavement to test the Isospeed system, and I'm repeatedly amazed at how well it works.
I've got the new Aeolus Pro 51's, which are aero as well (XXX2's on the Emonda) and help the Domane at the speeds that you're writing about.
FWIW, the previous Emonda (no Isospeed) is very comfortable, I just did a 142 mile ride with ~10K feet of climbing on New England roads,
and I wasn't too beat up at the end (well my legs were).
My Domane wasn't ready, or I may have taken it that day.

Give the Domane a shot, you may be surprised at how good it is.

Last edited by Dancing Skeleton; 06-22-21 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-07-21, 04:21 PM
RichLiv

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
Re: The Bold/Underlined Stuff

I would say that if you can say that about your bike pretty much in any times, there is a good chance that you made the right choice in bikes for your situation.

dave
Pretty sure you're right, Dave. My old Domane for winter is hard going by comparison but March will roll around and the SL7 will come out to play again :-)))
Old 11-08-21, 09:09 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Pizzaiolo Americano
Stiffer than the Madone? I somehow doubt that.
the madone has isospeed, the emonda does not. That explains some of the weight difference.

my money would be on the madone, just because 2lbs on a 6% grade only results in a 2.7W loss at 250W.

source: Bike Calculator
aero and comfort trump weight 7 days a week unless you're literally riding HC climbs. At least when it comes to speed. When it comes to enjoyment, the emonda might win because a light bike feels better.

edit: ope. Just realized this a zombie thread. I wish the bf interface would make that more obvious.

Last edited by smashndash; 11-08-21 at 09:14 AM.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 11-16-21, 07:40 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
Cyclist Magazine recently reviewed the new Emonda. Trek has made it more aero than the older model. Where I live there is a lot of climbing so a light bike would be advantageous. But also the Madone is supposedly a super bike as well. So, look at the Domane which is supposed to be a comfortable all day bike. Now you are confused...
To add to the confusion, for 2022 Trek has just announced the last in the series-- Amdone.

Please tip your waitress, I'll be here all week.
Likes For redcon1:
Old 11-16-21, 02:16 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Originally Posted by redcon1
To add to the confusion, for 2022 Trek has just announced the last in the series-- Amdone.

Please tip your waitress, I'll be here all week.
I wonder if that can be taken as Trek saying they "am done" with their anagram naming for models? Madone, Domane, Emonda and now Amdone.

I guess it is since you said it's their last. Or will there be a new set of anagram models?
Old 11-20-21, 03:19 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,835 Times in 2,989 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I wonder if that can be taken as Trek saying they "am done" with their anagram naming for models? Madone, Domane, Emonda and now Amdone.

I guess it is since you said it's their last. Or will there be a new set of anagram models?
Think it was a joke mate.....
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-20-21, 07:26 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
I went with he Madone, I wanted all the benefits of aero since my other two bikes are not very aero. I am extremely happy with it, and I like the geometry. I was concerned about the weight, but my madone is lighter than my cervelo. I don’t know the actual weight difference but I can feel it when I do a side by side.

I plan on replacing the cervelo with an emonda whenever I get the approval from the wife.
Old 11-21-21, 09:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Think it was a joke mate.....
Oh... I think you are right and can see that now. Thank goodness you clued me in before I went around telling people all about it.
Likes For Iride01: