Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

need advice immediately

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

need advice immediately

Old 11-28-21, 09:40 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by 700cMe
there's nothing trolling about this post.. i was being sarcastic when i said i wanted it all.

Sorry this has turned into a roast of you. But I mean if you’re looking for serious suggestions then you shouldn’t be making sarcastic comments. Most responses are being honest and realistic about what you’re asking for. Anyway…

Have you thought of maybe a Segway?

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 11-28-21 at 10:11 PM.
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 11-28-21, 09:42 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
ok first off..

there's nothing trolling about this post.. i was being sarcastic when i said i wanted it all.. i realize the challenges of finding all that in one package which i had already mentioned in my first post.. so just please stop making the same forum assumptions all too common across the net..

secondly the fire watch is obviously a pretty committed responsibility but this is primarily on commercial sites where a motor vehicle isn't practical as we move in between commercial units on the same property..

i mean if thats your suggestion why not just buy a surplus fire truck or water tanker.. theres a reason im looking for a service bike im not here to waste your time or just make things up.. i always consider aesthetics whether it be a vehicle bicyle motorcycle boat etc.. its just how i was designed.. it doesnt mean i settle for less because of the way something looks but lets face it..

some of these modern bikes look pretty nice whether you want to admit it or not.. and the only reason i said eurobike is because i found one on amazon and i figured the quality of the bike probably isnt going to deliver that of a $5000 product but the design of the bicycle is interesting to me..

perhaps one thing you overlooked is i dont work 247365.. so i do plan on using the bicycle for personal commute locally around town as well.. and yes i really need all that equipment mounted to the bike..

so for those of you making serious suggestions i appreciate it and for those playing with my thread theres plenty of other people to mess with out there.. quit trespassing here if you have nothing positive to contribute because frankly i really dont see any other point of commenting here than doing just that..

How is your carbon wheel search going there Smokey?
Old 11-28-21, 09:59 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster

How is your carbon wheel search going there Smokey?
So you continue....
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 11-28-21, 11:23 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
This seems like a troll thread to me. Need carbon wheels, gotta look good, don't want to spend much...and no one seemed to catch the eurobike comment.
I caught the comment, that was a red flag for me, it just seems to go along with the other points where they seem to want visual esthetics over function.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 11-29-21, 12:45 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
ok first off..

there's nothing trolling about this post.. i was being sarcastic when i said i wanted it all.. i realize the challenges of finding all that in one package which i had already mentioned in my first post.. so just please stop making the same forum assumptions all too common across the net..
secondly the fire watch is obviously a pretty committed responsibility but this is primarily on commercial sites where a motor vehicle isn't practical as we move in between commercial units on the same property..
perhaps one thing you overlooked is i dont work 247365.. so i do plan on using the bicycle for personal commute locally around town as well.. and yes i really need all that equipment mounted to the bike..
... a bunch of other stuff/comments...
so for those of you making serious suggestions i appreciate it and for those playing with my thread theres plenty of other people to mess with out there.. quit trespassing here if you have nothing positive to contribute because frankly i really dont see any other point of commenting here than doing just that..
Incomplete and nebulous information is a primary cause for an OP's questions to not be answered directly or taken serious.
so maybe you should have been upfront and given this info at the outset?
so... bikes...
for $1500 you're not gonna get a customized anything... if you buy smart, you might get something which can be adapted to your needs, provide good service, and look like a nice bike.
carbon ? LOL! same for proper e-bike. Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang e-bike? sure you can cobble one together for $1500.
be happy to get a good size...
for versatile use, it's hard to beat a 'gravel bike' configuration... why? well, it'll ride nicely on most any road surface, offer a generally comfortable posture. have gearing for just about any type of terrain, have mount points for as many racks as anyone might want to use - for other equipment , or shopping, or whatever... And with no requirement to use them, they are generally 'invisible' . For close to $1500 you can get a pretty nice bike. Not the cutting edge of tech, but precision level parts, with long service life (if properly maintained).
And if the 'motor' is OK, it'll be a pretty fast bike.
Here's one I find to be a pretty nice 'Swiss Army Knife', looks good, from company known for good bikes, and more than adequate components. There are prolly more like this, from other bike companies.
https://www.evo.com/gravel/marin-fou...5359/clone.jpg
How it fits into your self-imaging, that's you're worry.
Phone mounts are plentiful - tablet mounts may be harder to find, and be pricy when found...
But that's for you to figure out.
Peel back the BS layers and you'll come to what your most important needs are and what might suit best.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 11-29-21, 12:53 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 514 Posts
Five whole minutes I am never going to get back ...
Old 11-29-21, 07:30 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
...and no one seemed to catch the eurobike comment.
I caught it..... And it made me wonder if the guy in that other thread ever got the Eurobike he ordered, or the three Eurobikes, whichever it was. I also wondered if this was the same guy.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 11-29-21, 07:44 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I would get a used 29 er mountain bike and put fast tires on it. Dropped handlebars are going to get real uncomfortable unless the shift is an hour or two. You will get plenty of speed and more comfort out of something like that. I would buy used.
Old 11-29-21, 08:14 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18321 Post(s)
Liked 15,302 Times in 7,232 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Five whole minutes I am never going to get back ...
Becoming more and more common in General.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-29-21, 08:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
ok first off..

i mean if thats your suggestion why not just buy a surplus fire truck or water tanker.. theres a reason im looking for a service bike im not here to waste your time or just make things up.. i always consider aesthetics whether it be a vehicle bicyle motorcycle boat etc.. its just how i was designed.. it doesnt mean i settle for less because of the way something looks but lets face it..

some of these modern bikes look pretty nice whether you want to admit it or not.. and the only reason i said eurobike is because i found one on amazon and i figured the quality of the bike probably isnt going to deliver that of a $5000 product but the design of the bicycle is interesting to me..

I think the problem here is that you're listing a bunch of criteria that aren't likely compatible with each other. Don't worry about the styling, the whole reason the Eurobike is funny is that it's a bunch of crap components dressed up to look expensive. You're needing a bike that's reliable under some pretty heavy duty demands, and you want it to be fast/aero. As soon as you strap all that stuff on it, it's not going to be very aero.

I vote you look at gravel or commuter bikes, and work out the kind of gearing and tires that will suit you best. I don't know what the quality of the roads you commute and patrol are, so that's going to make a lot of difference based on the weight of the loads you're going to be carrying for those tasks.

And forget about carbon wheels, you're not budgeted for that nonsense.
Old 11-29-21, 09:09 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,381 Times in 3,692 Posts
Please do not buy a Eurobike. A friend of mine works as a tech in a bike shop. Someone brought in one of those Amazon bikes for set up. John worked on it for hours just trying to get the brakes tp not rub and the derailluers to actually properly shift to all the gears. He eventually gave up. It appears to be the pretty much the same bike as a Eurobike just with different brand stickers. And, they weigh a ton.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 11-29-21, 09:23 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
[See end for Tl;Dr .... ]

A few questions---Do You Ride?

If so, what and how far over what kind of terrain and at what average pace?

If not ..... well .......

I am unclear on Exactly what you plan to do with this bike. it sounds like you are a watchperson in an industrial complex doing outdoor patrol and and need to be mobile---Or are doing indoor patrol but want to get between buildings promptly, and the buildings are too close to bother with a car but too far to reach efficiently on foot (of course, the bike will likely be only a bout four times as fast as a brisk walk ....)

If this is a work bike, build it as such and don't stress over your occasional off-the-clock uses. My thinking here is that if the bike doesn't work for work, you wasted money and don't do the job well .... but if you do the job well you can buy a better bike for personal use later on down the road.

By the way .... bikes are not fast, riders are. There is a Tour-de-France-type rider who traveled about 3000 miles with Full Camping Kit (https://www.npr.org/2021/07/14/10152...-beat-the-pack) When I was fit I was able to ride slow hundred-mile days fully loaded day after day, or go pretty fast on a bike carrying 80 pounds of gear ..... Now I can barely crack double figures on a race bike.

If you want to have some fun, get a really light fast bike, ride by a bike cop---on his/her MTB with fat tires and 40 lbs of gear---and smack him/her in the back of the head and say, "Bet you can't catch me."

Not too far down the road you will find that part of that gear load are handcuffs, which you will be wearing, and a radio, with which the officer is summoning the car to haul you to jail. Carbon wheels aren't the key to speed---massive training is.

You need to identify the primary mission and buy/build for that--IMO. And if you are not already a rider ...... you need to learn to ride. It is easy to do .... but the tons of junk on the handlebar will make it harder and also and crashes will be much more expensive. You had best be able to keep the rubber down.

Also, if you need to go from one group of facilities to another .... then you will want to throw the bike on a car, right? Unless you live a short ride from work and only patrol one small group of buildings .... when I was a security guard I might get assigned anywhere within a dozen miles or so, because clients might have factories, warehouses, and office buildings in different neighborhoods. If this is how you will be working, you will need a rack for your car and a bike you don't mind throwing on and yanking off a rack. Al frame, CF fork, Al rims Strongly advised.

So .... - looking for a good value up to $1500 maybe (cant really swing 6k bicycles right now)---$1500 is about what will get you a low-mid-grade "Real" bicycle right now. If you need any other gear ......

- looking for something more modern by design with good aesthetics if possible (again for official business use)----"Good aesthetics .... purely subjective and completely pointless for a work bike. Are you going to Not buy a bike if you cannot find one you find esthetically pleasing? So .... either scratch that as a requirement or say up front you aren't serious about the rest.

- ability to add front and rear led lights for safety and legal compliance---yeah ..... those lights are designed to mount on any bike. The fact that you don't know that makes me think this is all a not-vwry-well researched dream of yours. You seriously haven't checked out lights?

- abilty to mount a tablet to the bars between 11" and 12" That is a big device .... you might need to rig something. Certainly can be done---I have built sturdy racks for touring bikes ..... but you will need to make sure the table it very securely mounted and also vibration-isolated. I don't know anyone who makes such a product---you might be able to modify something from an exercise bike. But .... Why do you need a Tablet on the bars? You really can't be riding and staring at the tablet, you know .... right?

In fact, a Lot of riders mount a phone on the bars and use it for navigation .... or a dedicated computer, but since you have and will need the phone .... but you really don't need to be watching streaming movies when you ride, and since you will know where you are going---to the next building ion a compound---navigation won't be a big thing. Why does the tablet need to be on the bars while riding?

- ability to mount a gopro or similar camera to the front and rear of the bicycle ------------Again, this shows that you have not done any research.
-
need something i can actually get as soon as possible insetad of waiting 3 months for delivery ---------- Really? You think we have stocks of bikes in out garages, waiting for your order? We don't even know what country you live in .... pretty hard to suggest sources at random and actually guess the right one, eh?

See here is why people think you are trolling---You obviously have not thought this through at all, and once you got the idea, you didn't do any serious follow-up. No one is taking you very seriously because you obviously are not taking this very seriously.

At the very least you would---if serious--- gone online and found bikes which You Think might meet your criteria and offered them as examples. You would have researched GoPros and lights, racks, etc and would already have a clue about what was out there .... I mean, you are planning to buy this stuff, right? Don't you need to research it first, to make sure it meets your needs?

On top of that you have a list of disparate and in some cases mutually exclusive "requirements" which make us think this is all just a fantasy for you .... you are sitting in class drawing pictures of bikes with wings and beautiful, scantily-clad damsels-in-distress waiting for you to ride up on your Bionic Bike and rescue them or something.

Seriously .... you Might want to take yourt bike on an airplane someday .... maybe? And you want to ride up to the gate? have you even begun to think that through? How about your personal luggage? How are you going to carry a bike case to house the bike in flight---or did you think you ride onto the plane and lock it to a rack? There are plenty of threads on this site about shipping bikes .... did you do a google search about shipping a bike?

Seriously .... right now we have So much information available and we all have about 200 times the computing power NASA needed to reach the Moon---in our pockets. There is no reason you couldn't have looked around more seriously to find out if what you want is possible at anything like the budget you quote .... and sorry, but if you can only afford a $1500 bike, how are you planning to pay airfare, shipping, hotels, etc on your maybe-someday bike journey?

My advice to you: Get Serious.

Figure out For Real what you Need the bike to do. "Looking good" is not a "need" unless you plan to park the bike at the café and sip lattés while passers-by admire it---and frankly, even a $6000 bike won't draw much attention because there are so many $16,000 bikes parked outside cafés ...... So forget people admiring your no-name work special.

Decide exactly what you need the bike to do while you are at work, and buy to fill those needs. After work .... you can do almost anything with any bike, particularly with a road or gravel bike, but I have done serious commuting on an F/S MTB when all my other bikes were being repaired. And I wasn't slow.

If you know you need lights ... research lights. Might I suggest This subforum---https://www.bikeforums.net/electronics-lighting-gadgets/ where people might even be able to help you with your tablet mount, or a better alternative. Just don't waste their time .... do your research or at least read some threads, before you start asking unfocused questions---would be my advice, for good or ill.

Also consider the https://www.bikeforums.net/utility-cycling/ and pages.

Tl;Dr----- Get serious, do some research like it matters to you---act like this is a real thing in a real life, because it is a real thing in our lives. We will give you all the help you can handle if you start by helping yourself, which will help us to help you.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-29-21, 09:33 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
It ain't pretty (to others) but it can haul ALL the gear and the groceries too, and it can be fitted with whatever you think it need for accessories--I have a back-up light bar so I can mount a rack two feet long and stick every electronic gadget ever made there. It can go faster than you can make it go (50x11 top gear) and climb well enough even fully loaded (34x32 low) even with my weak self riding it.

It has lights and can have more. it has a phone mount on the stem but I am not using it in this pic. it is AL with a CF fork. The front wheel is CF .... the issue with CF wheels is that if you throw the bike on and off a car rack a lot, park it in places which are not too stable (like if you have to hop off the bike and pull a fire alarm in a hurry and the bike falls over .... ) you can damage a CF rim .... which is why it has one Al wheel.

Cost now would be about $1500-$1800 with stock wheels .... This is a Serious work bike. It works Hard, and never falters. And I can take the bags off and ride it as quickly as any of my other bikes.

Think about stuff. Figure out stuff. Come back with a little more precise data and we would be more than pleased to help you.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-29-21, 10:31 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 409 Posts
I’m not a moderator, but my guess is that this thread’s days/hours/minutes are numbered (before it’s locked). Maybe it is a troll…the OP initially responded, but doesn’t seem interested in common sense suggestions. He wants to use a Ferrari as a construction vehicle, on a Ford Taurus budget. And now his responses have ceased.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 11-29-21, 11:36 AM
GhostRider62

OP responded multiple times yesterday. He goes into work third shift and comes home this morning.....to sleep.

OP.....focus on utility. Forget the fancy bikes. And forget the bashing, it is a sport here on new members. Something like a mountain bike with fast rolling tires, something like what police use......

https://www.policebikestore.com/fuji...bike-combo.htm
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 11-29-21, 12:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
OP responded multiple times yesterday. He goes into work third shift and comes home this morning.....to sleep.

OP.....focus on utility. Forget the fancy bikes. And forget the bashing, it is a sport here on new members. Something like a mountain bike with fast rolling tires, something like what police use......

https://www.policebikestore.com/fuji...bike-combo.htm

I think we're all thinking along the same lines in emphasizing its practical carrying ability to racing stylishness, but I think I'd probably suggest OP try a few of these "sturdy" bicycle types (mountain, gravel, fitness hybrid, commuter) to see what he's going to be most comfortable on for hours at a time.

I agree with you, I'm dead sick of the game of "bust the troll". I think the OP in good faith didn't know what he didn't know, which messed up the formulation of the question. I don't know why we need to get nasty about that.

Last edited by livedarklions; 11-29-21 at 12:08 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-29-21, 12:08 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
yea im looking for carbon wheels disc brakes the whole works i want it all baby ill keep looking eurobike has some of these options cheap but not sure if theyre worth buying
Youre going to have to increase your budget
Old 11-29-21, 12:20 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
i could if i could find one that was worth visiting but why i mean theres more inventory knowledge and order reach on the internet than a local bike shop that only stocks 30-40 models.
Because if this is for a business, and at some point you will need help from a local shop to keep you on the road.
Old 11-29-21, 12:34 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I thought a simple e-scooter would be a fine vehicle to patrol an industrial complex with, especially if going indoors to patrol.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 11-29-21, 01:03 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18321 Post(s)
Liked 15,302 Times in 7,232 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
I thought a simple e-scooter would be a fine vehicle to patrol an industrial complex with, especially if going indoors to patrol.
Or a golf cart.

Maybe the OP should post here:

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-29-21, 01:15 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs

If you want to have some fun, get a really light fast bike, ride by a bike cop---on his/her MTB with fat tires and 40 lbs of gear---and smack him/her in the back of the head and say, "Bet you can't catch me."

Not too far down the road you will find that part of that gear load are handcuffs, which you will be wearing, and a radio, with which the officer is summoning the car to haul you to jail.
our local Police have traded in their old school Trek Police bikes for the updated Trek Police e-bikes. They will catch you much faster now

Old 11-29-21, 01:35 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Wouldnt your employer supply you with the bike?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-29-21, 01:40 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Spent a couple of weeks visiting a German hospital which was so big that the transport service rode bikes indoors. They were heavy work bikes in the purest clinical white.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 11-29-21, 01:41 PM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Wouldnt your employer supply you with the bike?
You must work for the government?

Contractors supply everything.
Old 11-29-21, 01:45 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
You must work for the government?

Contractors supply everything.
My private employer supplies the computer and monitors I am using to not work right now.
Private employers commonly supply vehicles for security staff. This thread seems in line with that, though I admittedly dont fully understand what the OP actually does for work.
Likes For mstateglfr:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.