Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Elevation gain & loss - changes every ride, both Garmin & RWGPS

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-15, 01:57 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My Garmin 705 shows different feet of ascent and descent on every ride. Ditto RideWithGPS.

Up/Down feet for the first 6 miles of my most common ride:
  • 251/356 - Ride with GPS - "Plan"
  • 233/325 - Garmin completed ride, 10/16, "corrections" ENABLED
  • 183/410 - Ride w/ GPS completed ride, same ride
  • 200/386 - Garmin completed ride, 10/1, "corrections" NOT enabled
  • 192/378 - Ride w/ GPS completed ride, same ride
    • How can this be? It's the exact same data on the XML file.
Why the differences?
Is one the "most correct"?

Thanks.

ADDITIONAL INFO ADDED:
  • These rides were both done at about 45 degrees F, so temperature shouldn't have much effect on any barometric readings (I would think)
  • The elevation is stored in the record inside the GPS device TCX (or XML) file for each second of the ride -
    SEE my "what's XML" reply below to see actual data
  • That's why I don't comprehend why RWGPS would show different results than Garmin -
    • I would think the must be identical unless Garmin "corrected" the data, but it's different in both cases

Last edited by hobkirk; 10-19-15 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-19-15, 02:20 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 941 Posts
There is variation in what is measured and variation in method.

If "corrections" are being done, then it's not the same data.

Ridewithgps "plan" uses a database of elevations (not the same data). That may miss "significant" ups-and-downs.

The 705 uses a barometer to measure the elevation gain/loss. Using a barometer is considered the best way to do the measurement but it isn't perfect. Corrections are needed for GPS-only elevation gain (GPS is poor for measuring gain) but makes barometric gain measurements worse.

There is some "error" (noise) in the data being measured. That error is smaller for longer rides and with more elevation gain.

200 feet is probably closer to noise.

Of course, the elevation gain doesn't take the grade into account (which makes gain a poor indication of effort anyway).

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-19-15 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-19-15, 02:22 PM
Xherion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use the device's built in barometric altimeter, which is corrections disabled.
Old 10-19-15, 02:38 PM
Fly2High

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Alos, there is error in the barometric readings in that they need temperature correction. I am surprised Garmin doesn't have a built in temp. sensor to auto-correct. I believe they do not and ask you to put in a temp via their software. Add to the fact that shady areas, sunny areas and elevation can have differences in temperature, this too can affect readings.

I also think there is a way to default the Garmin before a ride to help with some of this error.
Old 10-19-15, 02:49 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
There is variation in what is measured and variation in method.

If "corrections" are being done, then it's not the same data.

Ridewithgps "plan" uses a database of elevations (not the same data). That may miss "significant" ups-and-downs.

The 705 uses a barometer to measure the elevation gain/loss. Using a barometer is considered the best way to do the measurement but it isn't perfect. Corrections are needed for GPS-only elevation gain (GPS is poor for measuring gain) but makes barometric gain measurements worse.

There is some "error" (noise) in the data being measured. That error is smaller for longer rides and with more elevation gain.

200 feet is probably closer to noise.

Of course, the elevation gain doesn't take the grade into account (which makes gain a poor indication of effort anyway).
The good news - the 6 vertical feet between the grass and the casket is just "noise".

I note the beginnings of climbs and the tops on a contour map. Sum those up. Ride "data" from anywhere else is usually a lot higher. But my numbers I know I did.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 10-19-15, 02:50 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Your Garmin is probably closer to the truth than an app running on your phone, because it has a barometer, and presumably a better GPS antenna. The baro sensor is why Garmin Connect doesn't automatically run its elevation corrections over your data when you upload from that device (but does for other devices). Corrections usually make the data more accurate but not always.

Originally Posted by hobkirk
How can this be? It's the exact same data on the XML file.
What xml file exactly?
Old 10-19-15, 02:52 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Fly2High
Alos, there is error in the barometric readings in that they need temperature correction. I am surprised Garmin doesn't have a built in temp. sensor to auto-correct. I believe they do not and ask you to put in a temp via their software. Add to the fact that shady areas, sunny areas and elevation can have differences in temperature, this too can affect readings.
Some of the Edges have thermometers but it appears it's not used to correct the barometric temperature. I don't think it matters too much.

200 feet is basically "zero". A variation of 10-20% is probably very good. I think part of the problem is that other measurements (like distance) are easy to measure at high accuracy. Elevation gain isn't as easy. Another part of the problem is that a diffence in distance of 1000 feet wouldn't be noticed but a difference in elevation gain of 1000 might be.

I also think there is a way to default the Garmin before a ride to help with some of this error.
Not really. There's a way of syncing the elevation measured by the device to a known elevation but that doesn't do anything for the response of the instrument. Cyclists generally only care about elevation gain/loss (not absolute elevation). For gain/loss, this syncing (calibration) doesn't do anything.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-19-15 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-19-15, 02:53 PM
Seattle Forrest

Alos, there is error in the barometric readings in that they need temperature correction. I am surprised Garmin doesn't have a built in temp. sensor to auto-correct.
Garmins do (generally) have thermometers but do not use them to adjust elevation from the barometer.

[h=3]How accurate is the elevation on my Edge 510, 520, 800, 810, 1000, and Edge Touring Plus?[/h]

The Edge 510, 520, 800, 800, 810, 1000 and Edge Touring Plus calculate elevation data using a barometric altimeter. Once the device is properly calibrated, the standard area of accuracy will be +/- 10 feet. To ensure that elevation data is accurate at the beginning of an activity, calibrate the elevation manually.

To calibrate the elevation manually:

Touch setup menu (tools icon) from the home screen
Touch System
Touch GPS
Edge Touring Plus:
Select Mark Location*
Select Change Elevation
Set elevation to known elevation of starting point
Select check-mark to save

To calibrate the elevation manually on Edge 520:

Press enter/select (upper right) button from the home screen
Press enter/select
Select Set Elevation
Set elevation to known elevation of starting point
Select check-mark to save

The elevation will then be calibrated from this manually set elevation.

The barometric altimeter is not temperature compensated. Temperature changes in the measuring device will affect the barometric pressure sensor and altimeter readings.

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={df7142e0-ea50-11e0-73d0-000000000000**
Old 10-19-15, 02:56 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Corrections usually make the data more accurate but not always.
I think the corrections (using a database) are intended for elevation by GPS only. I think barometric measurements are considered better than the correction data.
Old 10-19-15, 03:09 PM
Fly2High

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is funny that we can get altimeters for model aircraft that have built in temp sensors and are accurate (claimed) to 30 CM but we cannot get them for cycling. Others are good to 1 ft and others are good to 1 meter. Why is Garmin only good to +/- 10 ft?

Zlog
ZLog - Recording Altimeter

RAM3
https://www.soaringcircuits.com/

Hobby King Altimeter
HobbyKing® ? Altimeter

I was wondering why they would include a temp sensor and NOT correct for it? sounds ridiculous to me.

I wonder also why they do not use GPS altimetry but that also has levels of inaccuracy.
Old 10-19-15, 03:09 PM
Seattle Forrest

I think the corrections (using a database) are intended for elevation by GPS only. I think barometric measurements are considered better than the correction data.
Some people might consider them gold but a barometer is an instrument that only gives you useful data when it's calibrated. A barometer measures air density and uses a formula to determine what the elevation is. But air pressure changes. Wind is air moving from a zone with high pressure to a zone with low pressure. So the fact that a number came out of a barometer doesn't mean it's perfectly accurate.

(But it's probably consistent with itself, eg your barometer might be 500 feet too low when you start a ride; every point in the ride will be about 500 feet too low so you can use the data to get your approximate total gain for a ride, but not your absolute elevation at any point.)
Old 10-19-15, 03:12 PM
Seattle Forrest

It is funny that we can get altimeters for model aircraft that have built in temp sensors and are accurate (claimed) to 30 CM but we cannot get them for cycling.
An aircraft costs a little bit more than a bike. I'd hazard a guess the instrumentation for a plane is also a lot more expensive. Probably Garmin doesn't use the thermo in the Edges to adjust the baro because the unit usually lives on your stem, out in the sun? I know they don't do it in my watch because my body temp affects the thermo more than the air entering the watch sensor.
Old 10-19-15, 03:15 PM
njkayaker

Some people might consider them gold but a barometer is an instrument that only gives you useful data when it's calibrated. A barometer measures air density and uses a formula to determine what the elevation is. But air pressure changes. Wind is air moving from a zone with high pressure to a zone with low pressure. So the fact that a number came out of a barometer doesn't mean it's perfectly accurate.
No one is saying it's "perfectly accurate". GPS does elevation poorly (as far as I understand). The only options for measuring gain are barometric, database, and GPS (in order of decreasing accuracy, as far as I understand).

If you are interested in absolute elevation, you have to "calibrate" the barometer to a known elevation. That "calibration" doesn't do anything with pressure changes due to weather or temperature.

(But it's probably consistent with itself, eg your barometer might be 500 feet too low when you start a ride; every point in the ride will be about 500 feet too low so you can use the data to get your approximate total gain for a ride, but not your absolute elevation at any point.)
Yes. Basically, no cyclist is interested in absolute elevation.
Old 10-19-15, 03:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

Some of the Edges have thermometers but it appears it's not used to correct the barometric temperature. I don't think it matters too much.
The main source of error is air temperature. When the air is warm, pressure doesn't drop as rapidly when you gain altitude as it does when the air is cold. In other words, if it's a warm day then the altimeter will tend to under-read, and the error will get worse the more altitude you gain since the instrument was last calibrated.

Here's an online calculator that you can use to estimate the error in barometric elevations due to temperature differences: https://www.isu.edu/~wolpjame/cold.html. Where it says "airport elevation" enter the elevation at which the device was last calibrated.

Technical background if you're interested: https://commons.erau.edu/cgi/viewcont...&context=ijaaa

In the summer, when you're doing an activity that involves real gain, a barometric altimeter can be expected to have an error approaching 100 feet for a 1,000 gain.
Old 10-19-15, 03:18 PM
njkayaker

ot use GPS altimetry but that also has levels of inaccuracy.
GPS is not very good at all for elevation.
Old 10-19-15, 03:19 PM
njkayaker

Here's an online calculator that you can use to estimate the error in barometric elevations due to temperature differences:
I've looked at them. I've concluded it doesn't matter much. Especially, since there's no accounting for grade.
In the summer, when you're doing an activity that involves real gain, a barometric altimeter can be expected to have an error approaching 100 feet for a 1,000 gain.
10% is small.

An aircraft costs a little bit more than a bike. I'd hazard a guess the instrumentation for a plane is also a lot more expensive. Probably Garmin doesn't use the thermo in the Edges to adjust the baro because the unit usually lives on your stem, out in the sun? I know they don't do it in my watch because my body temp affects the thermo more than the air entering the watch sensor.
He's talking about model aircraft.

As you said, the Garmins are exposed to sun. They are also small. Model aircraft might be big enough to keep the temperature sensor isolated from sun heat (so that it more accurately measures air temperature).

Of course, if the Garmins don't measure temperature accurately, it's odd that they even have a thermometer.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-19-15 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-19-15, 03:19 PM
Seattle Forrest

No one is saying it's "perfectly accurate". GPS does elevation poorly (as far as I understand). The only options for measuring gain are barometric, database, and GPS (in order of decreasing accuracy, as far as I understand).
In my experience, GPS elevation is about as good as barometric elevation in real-world use when you have a clear view of the sky. I have a data page set up on my Garmin to show a field for GPS elevation and another field for baro elevation, they're usually within 50 feet of each other.

If you are interested in absolute elevation, you have to "calibrate" the barometer to a known elevation. That "calibration" doesn't do anything with pressure changes due to weather or temperature.
Pressure changes (often associated with weather changes) are the reason you calibrate a barometric altimeter. The barometer itself just reports inches of mercury (or millibars), you need to know the current pressure at sea level for your location to turn that into elevation. Calibrating a barometric altimeter means entering the pressure at sea level (or your current altitude which lets your device do the math in reverse order).
Old 10-19-15, 03:27 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Does the 705 have the capacity to set known elevation points? I know my 500 does, and I replaced the factory default points with known elevations from a surveyor's database (find local landmark points, ride there, set exact elevation data point,) and mine has been extremely accurate-- with ~5ft when repeating the same 32-mile route, which may be 100% accurate as I doubt I rode the exact same wheeltrack each time. National Geodetic Survey Data Explorer
Old 10-19-15, 03:48 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What xml file exactly?
The Garmin saves a record to a file every second (there's another option on frequency) and calls it a TCX file. That's a pure XML file. Here's the start of a file (I added BOLD, notes, and line breaks).
  • <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?> (Note: this is header info)
  • <TrainingCenterDatabase xmlns="https://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/TrainingCenterDatabase/v2" xmlns:xsi="https://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="https://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/TrainingCenterDatabase/v2 https://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/TrainingCenterDatabasev2.xsd">
  • <Activities>
  • <Activity Sport="Biking">
  • <Id>2015-06-09T19:51:57Z</Id>
    * THIS STARTS THE DATA FOR THIS RIDE
  • <Lap StartTime="2015-06-09T19:51:57Z">
  • <TotalTimeSeconds>191.02</TotalTimeSeconds>
  • <DistanceMeters>1609.347046</DistanceMeters>
  • <MaximumSpeed>13.882999</MaximumSpeed>
  • <Calories>85</Calories>
  • <AverageHeartRateBpm><Value>161</Value></AverageHeartRateBpm>
  • <MaximumHeartRateBpm><Value>202</Value></MaximumHeartRateBpm>
  • <Intensity>Active</Intensity>
  • <Cadence>44</Cadence>
  • <TriggerMethod>Distance</TriggerMethod>
  • <Track> (Note: this starts the tracking data. There's a new "record" for every second)
  • <Trackpoint> (Note: there is one "trackpoint" for every second)
  • <Time>2015-06-09T19:51:58Z</Time>
  • <Position>
    • <LatitudeDegrees>42.449174</LatitudeDegrees>
    • <LongitudeDegrees>-71.439554</LongitudeDegrees>
    • </Position>
  • <AltitudeMeters>119.937</AltitudeMeters>
  • <DistanceMeters>3.308</DistanceMeters>
  • <HeartRateBpm><Value>104</Value></HeartRateBpm>
  • <SensorState>Present</SensorState>
  • </Trackpoint>(Note: this ends the first trackpoint)
  • <Trackpoint>
  • <Time>2015-06-09T19:51:59Z</Time>
  • <Position><LatitudeDegrees>42.449150</LatitudeDegrees>
  • <LongitudeDegrees>-71.439523</LongitudeDegrees></Position>
  • <AltitudeMeters>119.937</AltitudeMeters>
  • <DistanceMeters>6.945</DistanceMeters>
  • <HeartRateBpm><Value>104</Value></HeartRateBpm>
  • <Cadence>31</Cadence>
  • <SensorState>Present</SensorState>
  • </Trackpoint> (Note: this ends the SECOND trackpoint)
  • <Trackpoint>
  • <Time>2015-06-09T19:52:00Z</Time> (Note: the time is 1 second after the last "trackpoint")
    * (Note: all the info just keeps getting repeated.
Old 10-19-15, 03:58 PM
njkayaker

Pressure changes (often associated with weather changes) are the reason you calibrate a barometric altimeter.
That still is assuming the weather doesn't change during the ride. And it's only necessary for absolute elevation (which cyclists don't really care about).

I think the Garmins let you store multiple absolute-elevation/GPS-coordinate associations (for calibration) but I believe they only use one (the nearest) for a ride.

In my experience, GPS elevation is about as good as barometric elevation in real-world use when you have a clear view of the sky. I have a data page set up on my Garmin to show a field for GPS elevation and another field for baro elevation, they're usually within 50 feet of each other.
Interesting. It would be interesting to see the profiles next to each other. GPS-only is still not considered as good.

From the Ground Up: Accurate Elevations from GPS.

Altitude Accuracy

Understanding Sport Device GPS Elevation Issues | DC Rainmaker

GPS and altitude for hang gliding and paragliding | Cross Country Magazine

The aviation industry has always used barometric pressure to measure altitude. Altimeters measure pressure and are calibrated to indicate that pressure as an altitude in feet or metres. The calibration assumes that the pressure drops at a standard rate as altitude is gained. We are interested in the altitude above ground level (AGL) or above mean sea level (AMSL) or with respect to the standard reference of 1013.25 hPa (Pressure Altitude, or PA). There is no evidence to suggest the industry will move to GPS altitude in the near future. - See more at: GPS and altitude for hang gliding and paragliding | Cross Country Magazine

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-19-15 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-19-15, 04:09 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,153 Times in 492 Posts
Using a power meter as an altimeter is better than using an altimeter as a power meter.
How to turn an expensive power meter into a cheap altimeter.
Old 10-19-15, 05:02 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
I've found all of my Garmins (500,510,810,Oregon) to provide woeful elevation data. My wife and I ride a tandem with two Garmins with the exact same settings. Though our mileage is generally pretty close, the elevation data can be as much as 25-35% different.

Also, I'm a retired highway engineer and had access to plans for numerous miles of roadway which I use to check for grade data on my rides. The grade info on the Garmins is ridiculously inaccurate while riding; it's not even the same ballpark as reality.

Old 10-20-15, 06:33 AM
Fly2High

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ummm, I said Model Aircraft (Remote Control) hobby stuff. Not the full size stuff. If you look, these altimeters are not that expensive but show better accuracy than a Garmin. I would say it is time for them to change their sensors. These things are just a few grams also.
Likes For Fly2High:
Old 10-21-15, 03:04 AM
Ice41000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hobkirk
My Garmin 705 shows different feet of ascent and descent on every ride. Ditto RideWithGPS.

Up/Down feet for the first 6 miles of my most common ride:
  • 251/356 - Ride with GPS - "Plan"
  • 233/325 - Garmin completed ride, 10/16, "corrections" ENABLED
  • 183/410 - Ride w/ GPS completed ride, same ride
  • 200/386 - Garmin completed ride, 10/1, "corrections" NOT enabled
  • 192/378 - Ride w/ GPS completed ride, same ride
    • How can this be? It's the exact same data on the XML file.
Why the differences?
Is one the "most correct"?

Thanks.

ADDITIONAL INFO ADDED:
  • These rides were both done at about 45 degrees F, so temperature shouldn't have much effect on any barometric readings (I would think)
  • The elevation is stored in the record inside the GPS device TCX (or XML) file for each second of the ride -
    SEE my "what's XML" reply below to see actual data
  • That's why I don't comprehend why RWGPS would show different results than Garmin -
    • I would think the must be identical unless Garmin "corrected" the data, but it's different in both cases
That happens when you try to measure small altitude changes by using machines flying 20.000 km above you.
Old 10-21-15, 04:13 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
I just bought a Sigma BC14.12 bike computer - has a built in Altimeter. I've used it on two rides - to work and from work. I know my elevations at both points (work has a helipad with the elevation posted on it right near my office). So far it seems pretty accurate although it didn't get the ending elevation exact on either ride after I calibrated the starting elevation. I assume because of the variation in pressure during the 45/50 minute ride -- it was morning and evening, windy, temps changing.

I compared it to Strava for both those rides. Distances were pretty accurate - almost spot on (and I sized my wheel with a roll out). Elevation on the way to work was way understated on Strava, but pretty close on the way home where there is more actual climb. The Sigma computer only tracks ascending, not descending.

Going to compare it to ridewithGPS, and mapmyride. As stated, GPS doesn't do well with elevation - I guess part of that has to do with the positioning of the satellites.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.