Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

fantasy giro d'italia time!!

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Old 05-01-17, 02:02 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts

hay everyone...it's fantasy giro time! hibernation is over! first grand tour of the year and high time
to show how much or little you know or luck into.

https://www.velogames.com

league name: bike forums
league code: 553021363111

deadline to enter is 12:00 cest (central european summer time) on friday, may 5th.

let's do this.
Old 05-01-17, 06:31 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Way too complex for this old codger.

Old 05-01-17, 11:32 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Way too complex for this old codger.
picking 9 riders and a team name is too complex? the site does all the heavy lifting and numbers crunching. ah well, hopefully we'll see you for the tour.
Old 05-01-17, 01:13 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
It sounded like I had to deal with salaries and all. I'ii look at it again. I have zero experience with fantasy sports. And I have never ubdetstood the draw.

Old 05-04-17, 08:55 AM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
In looking forward to this Giro looks like teams are treating this as the premier Gran Tour this year. Let the Hundred Year celebration of the Corsa Rosa and the fight for the endless trophy begin!
Old 05-04-17, 11:36 AM
diphthong

last day to register! love the spring classics but my heart lies with the gt's.
Old 05-04-17, 10:22 PM
eddiepliers 

Bikes: 2011 Scott Addict R3 and Redline Conquest with Campy Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have added myself!
Old 05-05-17, 02:35 PM
diphthong

disappointed at the giro turnout this year but we'll forge ahead. funny how we all picked yates for our team.
curious to see if my two sprinter approach yields enough points in the first two weeks vs adding another gc/climber
rider like a mollema, landa, tj or pozzovivo. if valverde, sagan or gva had been riding, woulda picked them for sure with
a few punchy uphill finishes on the docket. rohan dennis is my wild-card/do everything guy being able to climb, tt
and contest those short uphill sprints.
Old 05-07-17, 09:06 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Darn...missed out on getting my picks in. Will pay more attention for the TdF. Great stages so far...today was a real barn burner!

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 05-07-17, 08:34 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 445 Posts
And then there were 5.

Just arrived in the league with team "Eh, for true?" nipping on your heels in second place, ooga-booga.

Still sticking with the Yates motif, pondering many last minute flips, and glad that giving Zakarin a second chance to let me down is so exciting already.

I don't come to bikeforums any more, but had to check in with my old nemesises, er, nemesii, or is it nemesissies?
Old 05-08-17, 12:37 AM
diphthong

Originally Posted by slcbob
And then there were 5.

Just arrived in the league with team "Eh, for true?" nipping on your heels in second place, ooga-booga.

Still sticking with the Yates motif, pondering many last minute flips, and glad that giving Zakarin a second chance to let me down is so exciting already.

I don't come to bikeforums any more, but had to check in with my old nemesises, er, nemesii, or is it nemesissies?
nemeses, i think. bummed about rohan dennis because he lost the most today. was thinking he would be a dark horse top 10 gc guy along with 2 potential tt wins and/or a rolling/punchy finish stage. now just hoping he can start tues. the rest day comes at a good time for him. jungels and quick-step sure did a number today, eh?
Old 05-08-17, 05:01 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

"Like Belgians on a cross-wind" isn't quite the idiom that "like Chinese on rice" is, but it should be close.

I've done a lot of careful follow on analysis and I've concluded that you're going down, ooga-booga. Ha ha ha.

Here's to another great grand tour and our little fight for faux fantasy pink. Everybody have fun! And talk a little smack.
Old 05-08-17, 08:09 PM
diphthong

slcbob...you're the only other person dumb enuff to take (the same) two
sprinters as me. i mean who uses their wild card choice on a sprinter (other than
sagan)?!?! just stoopid.
Old 05-08-17, 08:11 PM
diphthong

and i like your "belgians on a cross-wind" line. so true.
Old 05-09-17, 03:53 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
slcbob...you're the only other person dumb enuff to take (the same) two
sprinters as me. i mean who uses their wild card choice on a sprinter (other than
sagan)?!?! just stoopid.
And with a Zakarin on top for a real triple threat of indefensible ambition in fantasy play. It's in the subtle nuances of my minion selection where I must break you. Though counting on Nibali to vanish has helped (Vuelta) and hurt (Giro) me in the past, so it will be a nail biter.

It could be worse for both of us. We could have vanGarderen and Rolland on the same team like Gallo, ha ha.

Nothing leaps out as ridiculous on Eddie Pliers' team, except it seems to have the potential for the same anti-synergy he is famous for where the whole is so much worse than the sum of its parts. Pinot may fit right in.

We'll see what the Crushers can do once they start the race. They may not have gotten the memo about the Friday start.

Old 05-09-17, 06:34 AM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

And with a Zakarin on top for a real triple threat of indefensible ambition in fantasy play. It's in the subtle nuances of my minion selection where I must break you. Though counting on Nibali to vanish has helped (Vuelta) and hurt (Giro) me in the past, so it will be a nail biter.

It could be worse for both of us. We could have vanGarderen and Rolland on the same team like Gallo, ha ha.

Nothing leaps out as ridiculous on Eddie Pliers' team, except it seems to have the potential for the same anti-synergy he is famous for where the whole is so much worse than the sum of its parts. Pinot may fit right in.

We'll see what the Crushers can do once they start the race. They may not have gotten the memo about the Friday start.

Etna on stage 4, Mortirolo two tries up Stelvio stage 16, Grappa stage 20 yea I loaded up on climbers and still have the Gorilla! Big blow to BMC with Dennis hate to see that
Old 05-09-17, 05:54 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by Gallo
Etna on stage 4, Mortirolo two tries up Stelvio stage 16, Grappa stage 20 yea I loaded up on climbers and still have the Gorilla! Big blow to BMC with Dennis hate to see that
With that approach I'm surprised you could resist Zakarin and Pinot, but maybe they haven't choked enough to be the dark horses you plan to ride to dominance.
Old 05-10-17, 02:10 AM
diphthong

pinot is dead to me. he could the next 5 gt's in a row and
i still wouldn't pick him. ended up choosing him a while back
for a fantasy gt (may have been the vuelta) before he revealed
he had a serious case of the descending yips. grumpy about
the bad luck for rohan dennis (was thinking he'd have 550-900
points), zakarin showed his metttle, worried that jungels is peaking too soon and praying for both sprinters to make it to milano.
Old 05-10-17, 02:16 AM
diphthong

yeah...tvg and rolland. talk about mercurial. starting
to feel that way about pozzavivo. just throw in talansky
and it's a woulda coulda shoulda mushpot.
Old 05-10-17, 02:34 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Don't forget Tyler Farrar.

I've ridden the fantasy game roller coaster with all those guys. Way back to Dennis Menchov.

The climbers are the most mercurial but high hopes and low scores can be found in any category.

Pity about Dennis but it's not like his teammate Teuns is doing anything for me to close the gap on you, even if he is still in the race. I'm counting on my cheap Movistar unclassified dudes to start racking up some Nairo assist points soon. Or maybe Winner will winner up on his own. I had a brief flash of hope on Etna. Just like Rolland's guys! Ha ha ha.
Old 05-10-17, 10:19 PM
diphthong

the last few km's on this upcoming stage 6 look to be a doozy. punchy uphill finish along
with supposedly a few hairpin turns and rollers enrollee to said punchy uphill finish. hoping nibbles
gives it the gas but hoping more that there aren't any race-changing crashes/injuries because of the ending
km's. dunno how wide the applicable thoroughfares are but i think we're gonna see some fireworks good or
bad or maybe both.
Old 05-11-17, 07:48 AM
Gallo

With that approach I'm surprised you could resist Zakarin and Pinot, but maybe they haven't choked enough to be the dark horses you plan to ride to dominance.
your killing me literally Zakarin was a consideration but I went another route. So far not a great decision. I built around the Shark, the Gorilla, Yates and Dumoulin

Pinot was not on my radar but I like him as a rider but think he is better suited to the TdF.

Went with Rolland because I thought he might shine in the steeps and was good value TdF does not have the same type of grades

TJ was a value pick that fit points wise He is a good rider losing Dennis is not good for him

ooga always seems to do well with lower picks and I do not. so for 8 points I picked up De Buyst and De Plus because I did not know which way my team was going

So far it looks like the sprinter strategy is working out well
Old 05-11-17, 02:01 PM
diphthong

Originally Posted by Gallo
your killing me literally Zakarin was a consideration but I went another route. So far not a great decision. I built around the Shark, the Gorilla, Yates and Dumoulin

Pinot was not on my radar but I like him as a rider but think he is better suited to the TdF.

Went with Rolland because I thought he might shine in the steeps and was good value TdF does not have the same type of grades

TJ was a value pick that fit points wise He is a good rider losing Dennis is not good for him

ooga always seems to do well with lower picks and I do not. so for 8 points I picked up De Buyst and De Plus because I did not know which way my team was going

So far it looks like the sprinter strategy is working out well
it is. currently ranked 34th out of 17,225. pinch me. pretty much nowhere to go but down and down hard.
for the sprinter thing to work tho, i (and every other dope doing likewise) need both their sprinters to place
in the top 5 of all sprint stages, pick up occasional incidental sprinting points throughout the stage, get
occasional incidental assist points when teammates win a stage and finish the entire race to get bonus points in the points
competition. that's a lot of if's. we all know how much sprinters love the mountains and the last week of the giro,
fortunately, the tour of california has come onto the scene and it seems like there is less sprinter (and rouleur)
abandonment halfway or 2/3 of the way in. teams now have a viable alternative based on team/riders goals.

speaking of the tour of california, the fantasy page should be up for that at any moment so i'll post a separate
thread for that. the initial fear when the race got moved to may to overlap the giro was that the toc would be
a lesser/afterthought race. it has really turned out to be anything but. i love the giro but really, who wants to race
3 weeks in the rain and cold (and occasional snow)?

and another random thought...when was the last time quick-step had a viable general classification gt contender?
virenque is the last one that comes to mind. not that he was a great all-around rider but his mountain escapades
occasionally found him in the final top ten. jungels better watch himself. sailing into uncharted waters....
Old 05-11-17, 03:24 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

I think it's Jungels keeping you in clover, ooga-booga.

It's always weird to pick. You have to have at least one sprinter, and there's rarely a dirt cheap one so the big winners aren't that much more expensive.

You can only afford a few good GC guys. You can do well the first few days without them (who cares, other than some trash talking which is just setting you up for a fall), but you can't do well in the long haul.

Those climbers are so mercurial as to how they really do on points. Even the mountain jersey winner sometimes barely cracks the top 30 scorers or so in the long haul. So really the good "climber" picks are the GC-ish dudes who are classified as climbers for whatever reason George has.

The art of this thing really is in picking your UNCLASSIFIED guys with precision and foresight (and LUCK!!!) and then making the right call on the GC/Sprint names (a few top names, or a few more slightly less top) -- e.g. do I do better with 1 & 10 overall, or 3, 4, and 6th.

And then the race starts and it all goes to hell!
Old 05-11-17, 03:26 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

P.S. 34th is awesome.

A pity YOU'RE GOING DOWN.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.