Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

battery-less front light

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

battery-less front light

Old 10-19-20, 01:36 AM
fofinet855

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
battery-less front light

Hello everyone.
I'm looking for a motion-powered front light (to be seen, but also to see), because I'm a bit tired of always having to worry about recharging the one I'm using now. I checked Reelight and they seem good, but the ones that mount on the axle are only visible from one side, which I don't like, while the ones with separate pieces for the dynamo and for the light are not suited for carbon forks, because the dynamo is attached with a very thin wire which might damage the fork. Before I start checking dynamo hubs, is there some cheaper option? As I said, carbon fork and disk brakes.
Thank you.
Old 10-19-20, 08:36 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
I think you are looking at a dynohub.

Several years ago I bought a dyno powered headlight on a clearance price, no switch on it. Sat on my shelf for a few years. Then I got lucky and got a low cost dynohub wheel that had been donated to a charity. Put it on my errand bike. In my case it is a Shimano hub, they are grounded to the fork, the light is also grounded to the mount, steel fork is conductive, thus one wire from hub to light was all that was needed. My fork has fender mounts, your carbon fork might not. But my light is off to the side far enough that the shadow behind the wheel is off to the side far enough that it does not bother me. I just used a piece of threaded rod and some nuts to mount it.

The light being this low gives a lot of shadows for dips in the road, etc., so if I was going to use this very much I would raise the light up higher but for my errand bike for short shopping trips it is adequate.

It however hangs up on some bike racks at stores.

Old 10-19-20, 02:52 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
I have dynamo lights on a couple of my bikes. I love them. They are very reliable. I've tried various dynamos, and I find that I prefer the hub kind. It takes more money and work to get them going, but it's worth it to me. I barely feel the drag from the hub. It's so small that I run my lights day and night. Another benefit of dynamo-powered headlights is that they are designed with a new beam shape that has a cutoff at the top of the beam.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-20-20, 06:09 AM
fofinet855

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, the drag of the dynamo hub, according to some research, is about 3% IIRC. That's not what bothers me. But I guess I'll keep an eye on offers for hubs and lights.
Old 10-25-20, 02:05 AM
polyphrast

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Not really cheaper than a dyno hub, but cheaper than a new wheel with a dynohub (unless you rebuilt the wheel yourself): check the dynos from velogical engineering. Lightweight, solid product, works in rainy and slippery conditions as well. I has been discussed here in the forum before, search for it.
As a to-see light: B&M IQ-X. Don't know where you based, but if you're in states it might be cheaper to order it from a german online seller than buying it at peter white cycles.
Old 10-26-20, 11:24 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
Yes hub dynamos are expensive. Especially here in the US where they are not that popular. But you find them in Europe almost anywhere. I have a few bikes of mine equipped with hub dynamos and purchased the dynamos and even complete wheels in Germany and brought them back from my family visits in Germany. Some dealers might even ship to the US.
If you don't mind side mounted bottle dynamos but don't want them to mount on the carbon fork you can also mount them to the rear wheel if the frame is not carbon. One of my bikes has a rear mounted dynamo. You just need to make sure to purchase the correct model. There are clockwise and anti-clockwise turning models. They all generate about 3W and are sufficient to power the modern LED lights.
Old 10-26-20, 12:00 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by fofinet855
I checked Reelight and they seem good, but the ones that mount on the axle are only visible from one side, which I don't like, while the ones with separate pieces for the dynamo and for the light are not suited for carbon forks, because the dynamo is attached with a very thin wire which might damage the fork.
Reelight RL700 Series. I've had one on my commuter for ~7 years. Powers the front and rear lights, and has a built in capacitor/battery so it still works for a few minutes, even when you come to a complete stop and a Stop sign or red light. I mounted mine to the rear wheel and seat stay. No need to touch the carbon fork.

https://www.reelight.com/collections...s/rl700-series
Old 10-28-20, 09:05 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 10-29-20, 01:55 PM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
What you want then is something like these:

https://www.magniclight.com/en/

I've got the Mk1 set of these and I've supported the Kickstarter for the new brakeshoe type.

OR
https://www.reelight.com/

No personal experience
Old 10-30-20, 06:41 AM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by fofinet855
Hello everyone.
I'm looking for a motion-powered front light (to be seen, but also to see), because I'm a bit tired of always having to worry about recharging the one I'm using now. I checked Reelight and they seem good, but the ones that mount on the axle are only visible from one side, which I don't like, while the ones with separate pieces for the dynamo and for the light are not suited for carbon forks, because the dynamo is attached with a very thin wire which might damage the fork. Before I start checking dynamo hubs, is there some cheaper option? As I said, carbon fork and disk brakes.
Thank you.
I have the Reelight Nova and it's a light to been seen and not to see. You'll still need a front light to see the road. However, it's always good to have a backup front light and you tend to use it less during dusk.

Would I purchase it again? Probably not as I'm looking into bottle dynamos once this light burns out! However, it's so well made, I don't expect that to happen for years!
Old 10-30-20, 10:36 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Bottle dynamos seem to make the most drag. They are light and easy to install, however.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-02-20, 03:29 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyHK
What you want then is something like these:

https://www.magniclight.com/en/

I've got the Mk1 set of these and I've supported the Kickstarter for the new brakeshoe type.
Their claim of no friction is misleading though. There are forces being applied analogous to friction. You have to take your energy for the lights from somewhere.
Energy is drawn from the rotating bicycle wheels without any physical contact, and thus without friction.
According to wikipedia:
By Lenz's law, an eddy current creates a magnetic field that opposes the change in the magnetic field that created it, and thus eddy currents react back on the source of the magnetic field. For example, a nearby conductive surface will exert a drag force on a moving magnet that opposes its motion, due to eddy currents induced in the surface by the moving magnetic field. [...] The current flowing through the resistance of the conductor also dissipates energy as heat in the material. Thus eddy currents are a cause of energy loss in alternating current (AC) inductors, transformers, electric motors and generators, and other AC machinery, requiring special construction such as laminated magnetic cores or ferrite cores to minimize them.
That being said, I kind of like their brake pad mounted version as a be-seen light so I might buy one one day.

Last edited by JaccoW; 11-02-20 at 03:39 AM.
Old 11-02-20, 03:12 PM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Their claim of no friction is misleading though. There are forces being applied analogous to friction. You have to take your energy for the lights from somewhere.

According to wikipedia:

That being said, I kind of like their brake pad mounted version as a be-seen light so I might buy one one day.
They do have a bunch of advantages.

Much cheaper than a hub dynamo set up. Easily transferred between bikes. Much cheaper.
Old 11-02-20, 04:16 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyHK
They do have a bunch of advantages.

Much cheaper than a hub dynamo set up. Easily transferred between bikes. Much cheaper.
I can get a prebuilt dynamo wheel for €90, add a fairly decent front light for €20 (that's brighter at 40 lux than the 28 lux for the pair of the magnetic lights) and €10 rear light and you're only €5 more expensive than this setup. All that leaves you is a lighter setup that's easier to swap between bikes. Swap out the front light for a B+M Cyo Premium and it will vastly outshine the other option for €35 more.

Look, I'm not hating on the tech. I think it's pretty cool. But I do have trouble seeing what the added advantage is over existing tech. And it doesn't help that I live next door to the country with some of the best and most affordable bicycle light technology. The US is just very expensive when it comes to dynamo wheels compared to the rest of the world.

Last edited by JaccoW; 11-02-20 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-02-20, 05:39 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by JaccoW
I can get a prebuilt dynamo wheel for €90, add a fairly decent front light for €20 (that's brighter at 40 lux than the 28 lux for the pair of the magnetic lights) and €10 rear light and you're only €5 more expensive than this setup. All that leaves you is a lighter setup that's easier to swap between bikes. Swap out the front light for a B+M Cyo Premium and it will vastly outshine the other option for €35 more.

Look, I'm not hating on the tech. I think it's pretty cool. But I do have trouble seeing what the added advantage is over existing tech. And it doesn't help that I live next door to the country with some of the best and most affordable bicycle light technology. The US is just very expensive when it comes to dynamo wheels compared to the rest of the world.
This is good information. Sometimes people ask me where to get a reasonably priced dynamo wheel. I build my own wheels but others don't. I checked out this site's shipping charge for one of those wheels, and it was 20€ to the US which really isn't that bad.

Likes For noglider: