Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buying a Dutch style bike in the US?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-10-21, 07:05 AM
s5fskzfv

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just saw a youtube video about Dutch style bikes designed for comfortable low maintenance basic transportation. They have upright seating, coaster brakes, internal gears, a kickstand that has support on both sides of the bike, and a step through frame. I use a bike to get groceries once a week so this sounds like a good match for my needs.

Are there any bikes like this that can be purchased in the US that are not too expensive (under $500?, under 300?)?

Thanks

Last edited by s5fskzfv; 02-10-21 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-10-21, 08:19 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
Have you looked under "Cruiser bikes" for any of the companies selling in the U.S.? Such as: Cruiser bikes | Trek Bikes
Old 02-10-21, 09:03 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Linus has some models that tick off many of those boxes, but they might be over budget.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-10-21, 10:20 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by s5fskzfv
I just saw a youtube video about Dutch style bikes designed for comfortable low maintenance basic transportation. They have upright seating, coaster brakes, internal gears, a kickstand that has support on both sides of the bike, and a step through frame. I use a bike to get groceries once a week so this sounds like a good match for my needs.

Are there any bikes like this that can be purchased in the US that are not too expensive (under $500?, under 300?)?

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aESqrP3hfi8
I bought a 3-speed commuter from Nashbar a while back - boat-anchor heavy steel, three speeds, coaster brake, fenders etc, for ~$230. I added a cheap front caliper brake, basket and rear rack and backswept bars for another ~120. Not quite what you're looking for, but serves the same purpose. The problem is that the sort of bike you're looking for might once have been (and may still be, in some places) a cheap utility transport*, but in this country has become the preserve of hipsters and the companies that cater to them (see Pashley bikes, for example), so unless you come across a barn find or a fortuitous used bike, you're unlikely to find what you're looking for for a reasonable price.
*When I was a kid in Ireland, these big old black upright bikes were known as "High Nellies" - perfect for when you didn't need to get anywhere fast, and walking it up a hill was par for the course - a different time, certainly.
Old 02-10-21, 10:33 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Actual Dutch bikes are way out of the price range, but there are Dutch-style bikes, aka city bikes, which work. For example, the Breezer Downtown EX is pretty much ready to go shopping at $549 MSRP. Throw on an inexpensive pair of fold-away baskets for the rear rack, like these, and you’re all set...except for a lock, which you’ll probably want to secure the bike while you’re in the store.

Their Downtown 7 model steps up to internal gears and an enclosed chain— as well as stylee, color-matched rack!— but the price jumps up to $649 MSRP.

Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-10-21, 10:40 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
It is hard to find a quality bike under 500 that isn't a single speed or something magical that is used but in decent shape. Gazelle makes good quality bikes and real Dutch bikes since the late 1800s. Not a cheap bike but if you must have a Dutch bike that is the Dutch bike to have. However if you are looking for a good step through bike the Specialized Roll Elite step through is an excellent option and much lighter and probably one of the lightest bikes in that class. It is much more of a pleasure to ride with wide tires and a light frame and the elite has decent reliable parts that will last a good long time.
Old 02-10-21, 11:37 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I immediately thought of Breezer as I read the OP.
Old 02-10-21, 11:43 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Is Dutch "style" an actual style? Maybe the answer is in that video but I can't watch it here at the office.

Reminds me of my aunt who wanted some sort of French style pots and pans and eventually ordered them at considerable expense directly from France. Turned out to be nearly identical to the ones sold here for one-third the price.
Old 02-10-21, 11:52 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
The Electra Loft bikes and the Public C series bikes also tick most of the OP's boxes. Base models are a little over $500 though, and go up for an internally geared hub.
https://electra.trekbikes.com/us/en_...olorCode=green
https://publicbikes.com/collections/...ucts/public-c7

The Breezers in an earlier post sure look nice too.
Likes For Oldguyonoldbike:
Old 02-10-21, 11:56 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Originally Posted by veganbikes
It is hard to find a quality bike under 500 that isn't a single speed or something magical that is used but in decent shape. Gazelle makes good quality bikes and real Dutch bikes since the late 1800s. Not a cheap bike but if you must have a Dutch bike that is the Dutch bike to have. However if you are looking for a good step through bike the Specialized Roll Elite step through is an excellent option and much lighter and probably one of the lightest bikes in that class. It is much more of a pleasure to ride with wide tires and a light frame and the elite has decent reliable parts that will last a good long time.
The Roll Elite is a cool style, but it’s $900. The regular Roll is priced right at $535, but its massively heavy at 30.6lbs in Small and without fenders, rack, chainguard or anything. Weight isn’t important if you don’t have to climb hills or carry the bike up into the house, into an apartment or hoist it up onto a car rack, but it’s worth being aware of weight to match it to your needs.

This past November I got a $699 step-thru Public C9 Aluminum for my wife, which is just 25lbs (also w/o fenders/rackchainguard). I’m sure fitted with a rack and shopping basket it would still be well under 30lbs.

https://publicbikes.com/collections/...ucts/public-c9
Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-10-21, 11:59 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Is Dutch "style" an actual style?
It certainly is.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-10-21, 12:02 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Oldguyonoldbike
The Electra Loft bikes and the Public C series bikes also tick most of the OP's boxes. Base models are a little over $500 though, and go up for an internally geared hub.
https://electra.trekbikes.com/us/en_...olorCode=green
https://publicbikes.com/collections/...ucts/public-c7

The Breezers in an earlier post sure look nice too.
Ooh, I’ve never seen that Electra, but it looks great!
Old 02-10-21, 12:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by chaadster
The Roll Elite is a cool style, but it’s $900. The regular Roll is priced right at $535, but its massively heavy at 30.6lbs in Small and without fenders, rack, chainguard or anything. Weight isn’t important if you don’t have to climb hills or carry the bike up into the house, into an apartment or hoist it up onto a car rack, but it’s worth being aware of weight to match it to your needs.

This past November I got a $699 step-thru Public C9 Aluminum for my wife, which is just 25lbs (also w/o fenders/rackchainguard). I’m sure fitted with a rack and shopping basket it would still be well under 30lbs.

https://publicbikes.com/collections/...ucts/public-c9
Massively heavy, no. Compared to a lot of the crap out there in a slightly similar category it is quite light. Sure you could built it lighter but for something really comfortable, upright and not using older technology it is pretty solid. Yes it does cost a bit more but it has disc brakes for excellent stopping and skips the cheap quill stems and goes to a threadless system and has a much more comfort designed riding position.

That is probably the nicest Public I have seen but really only because it doesn't have the tourney or altus derailleur. The 25lbs I doubt but I haven't weighed one on a scale and I haven't put the newer roll elite on a scale either and if you are reading manufacturers listed weights you aren't getting any accuracy and usually the lightest number they can come up with skipping parts like pedals and things like that.
Old 02-10-21, 12:15 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
I’m not sure what’s available right now but maybe take a look at Brooklyn Bicycle Co.
Old 02-10-21, 01:32 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Massively heavy, no. Compared to a lot of the crap out there in a slightly similar category it is quite light. Sure you could built it lighter but for something really comfortable, upright and not using older technology it is pretty solid. Yes it does cost a bit more but it has disc brakes for excellent stopping and skips the cheap quill stems and goes to a threadless system and has a much more comfort designed riding position.

That is probably the nicest Public I have seen but really only because it doesn't have the tourney or altus derailleur. The 25lbs I doubt but I haven't weighed one on a scale and I haven't put the newer roll elite on a scale either and if you are reading manufacturers listed weights you aren't getting any accuracy and usually the lightest number they can come up with skipping parts like pedals and things like that.
Yeah, I shouldn’t have said “massively heavy” probably, but was thinking within my range of experience, and to me, a naked alu framed, rim-braked bike clocking in north of 30lbs in a small size is really, surprisingly heavy. I have a size 58cm Breezer Doppler made in steel, with disc brakes, 47c tubed rubber, a generator hub, headlight, taillight and alu fenders that I weighed at 31.6lbs...and I think that’s massively heavy. But you’re right that there are heavier bikes.

I didn’t weigh the Public C9 but it’s downstairs so I can go check. It’s got a basket on it, though, too.

EDIT: my S/M size C9 is reading 27.7lbs with the non-stock basket mount (which is massive and sh*tty both) and double-leg kickstand included. The kickstand could easily weigh over a pound, and the basket mount could easily be another .5lbs, so while it does seem a bit heavier than claimed even considering that, it’s within a range I consider acceptable and typical at this pricepoint. Maybe even the final production parts spec changed.

Last edited by chaadster; 02-10-21 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-10-21, 04:24 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 137 Posts
try bikesdirect
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 02-10-21, 05:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Yeah, I shouldn’t have said “massively heavy” probably, but was thinking within my range of experience, and to me, a naked alu framed, rim-braked bike clocking in north of 30lbs in a small size is really, surprisingly heavy. I have a size 58cm Breezer Doppler made in steel, with disc brakes, 47c tubed rubber, a generator hub, headlight, taillight and alu fenders that I weighed at 31.6lbs...and I think that’s massively heavy. But you’re right that there are heavier bikes.

I didn’t weigh the Public C9 but it’s downstairs so I can go check. It’s got a basket on it, though, too.

EDIT: my S/M size C9 is reading 27.7lbs with the non-stock basket mount (which is massive and sh*tty both) and double-leg kickstand included. The kickstand could easily weigh over a pound, and the basket mount could easily be another .5lbs, so while it does seem a bit heavier than claimed even considering that, it’s within a range I consider acceptable and typical at this pricepoint. Maybe even the final production parts spec changed.
The bike has disc brakes though. This is the current spec with discs and Advent 1X9 drivetrain. It has 2.3mm tires which adds a ton of comfort, stability and flat protection which the Public couldn't match as it has brake limitations.

31.6lbs is not massively heavy my touring bike with a similar style (though quite skinny 38c tires) is around that and it isn't that bad. If I had to carry it for a few minutes it might get cumbersome but for an average flight of stairs it isn't bad. Though yes compared to my 16lb fixed gear with brakes front and rear it is portly but my fixed gear is one gear vs 3x9, no rack ability front and rear, no disc brakes, no dynamo but a ton of fun.
Old 02-10-21, 05:49 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

The bike has disc brakes though. This is the current spec with discs and Advent 1X9 drivetrain. It has 2.3mm tires which adds a ton of comfort, stability and flat protection which the Public couldn't match as it has brake limitations.

31.6lbs is not massively heavy my touring bike with a similar style (though quite skinny 38c tires) is around that and it isn't that bad. If I had to carry it for a few minutes it might get cumbersome but for an average flight of stairs it isn't bad. Though yes compared to my 16lb fixed gear with brakes front and rear it is portly but my fixed gear is one gear vs 3x9, no rack ability front and rear, no disc brakes, no dynamo but a ton of fun.
The 30.6lb Roll weight is for caliper brake model per this Bicycling mag review: https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...-entry-review/

I’m sure a disc version is heavier.

Regardless of relative weight, I suggest buyers give consideration to how they will live with a bike, and to buy the lightest bike they can afford. There are no negative tradeoffs to doing so (except at the very top end perhaps), only advantages and gain

Last edited by chaadster; 02-10-21 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-10-21, 06:15 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
The one main thing you'll see in the so called dutch style bike is that the crankset is further forward in relation to the saddle. This is pretty much what the true cruiser style bike is... IMO. It makes for comfortable upright seating on a big comfy saddle for short rides around town or to the city park.

The bike industry confused everyone years ago when they came out with hybrids. People somehow mistakenly got the idea that hybrids were the thing for comfortable upright leisurely riding and cruisers sort of went out of the main stream for a while.

The Electra from trek as someone else posted comes in every conceivable configuration and component offering for a cruiser. They start at some pretty low prices for a basic coaster brake or single speed freewheel with rim brakes.
Old 02-10-21, 09:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

The 30.6lb Roll weight is for caliper brake model per this Bicycling mag review: https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...-entry-review/

I’m sure a disc version is heavier.

Regardless of relative weight, I suggest buyers give consideration to how they will live with a bike, and to buy the lightest bike they can afford. There are no negative tradeoffs to doing so (except at the very top end perhaps), only advantages and gain
Ahhh the base model...those always felt a touch heavier but I will see what we have in stock and maybe try and weigh one. We haven't had a lot of bikes in for so long like that but we do occasionally get trickles.

Agreed on the last part though.
Old 02-10-21, 09:58 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
it kills me that they do not put chain guards those city bikes. That to me is a massive miss.

Old 02-10-21, 11:00 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
it kills me that they do not put chain guards those city bikes. That to me is a massive miss.
I totally agree.
Old 02-10-21, 11:37 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by s5fskzfv

Thanks
When I first read your post, I thought "dutch" bikes are every where, but then I am in Europe, we also call them urban bikes or city bikes. I did a quick search on the net and there really is little to choose in the US.
Ikea came out with what seemed to be a good bike, but then they were recalled.
Detroit bikes makes what you're looking for, but they may be out of your price range
Chain Reaction Cycles out of N. Ireland ships easily to the US (for a price), and they have a few choices, such as:
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...?mx01=a&mx02=a
Good luck with your search
Old 02-11-21, 04:03 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Nobody mentioned Veloretti yet? Aluminum frames so they are a lot lighter too. And sub €400 + shipping.

B2C with singlespeed coasterbrake as standard with fenders and a chainguard standard. Can be easily adjusted to fit your needs if you require more speeds or extra braking power.

Old 02-11-21, 09:05 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by JaccoW
Nobody mentioned Veloretti yet? Aluminum frames so they are a lot lighter too. And sub €400 + shipping.

B2C with singlespeed coasterbrake as standard with fenders and a chainguard standard. Can be easily adjusted to fit your needs if you require more speeds or extra braking power.

Hey, looks like we have a Dutch bike specialist in the house!
Likes For chaadster:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.