Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Parts cleaner?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Parts cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-21, 05:36 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 504 Posts
Parts cleaner?

I have a bunch of dirty old parts including chainsets. I'd like a parts cleaner setup that will actually save me some time and messiness. Any recommendations for an ultrasonic that is big enough for a chainset? Would use Dawn or Simple green.
Old 04-08-21, 08:35 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
This will be interesting. A romp through Amazon suggests that unless you get a really large one cleaning a chainset
will require rotating same several times to get at all sides and best you disassemble first. Even a 10L size has an
effective immersion depth of 4-5" with the basket and that one full will weigh ~30#. Amazon does give inside
measurements but the baskets will reduce this by 1-1.5" all around.
Old 04-08-21, 09:22 AM
AndrewJB

Bikes: FUJI Transonic 2.3; Motobecane LeChampion TI SL; Trek 2.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
Automotive parts cleaner is what you might be looking for...
https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=parts%20washer

Simple Green or Dawn is not going to work in this...might be interesting to watch, but probably not the right cleaning agent for this unit
Old 04-08-21, 09:38 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
I've seen some homemade ones on YouTube that use orbital sanders.
Old 04-08-21, 10:00 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
I use citrous degreaser and an older water bottle. Fill the water bottle about halfway with degreaser. I drop the chain in, shake it around. Let it set for a few hours, And repeat till 24 hours have passed. Worked great for me.
Old 04-09-21, 05:04 PM
bikemeister

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I'd be tempted to use kerosene. Cheap, low volatility, won't hurt paint or chrome, and should dissolve any greasy gunk.
Old 04-09-21, 05:48 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemeister
I'd be tempted to use kerosene. Cheap, low volatility, won't hurt paint or chrome, and should dissolve any greasy gunk.
+1. Kerosene, or it's more sophisticated cousin, odorless mineral spirits. Either can be reused by letting the dirt settle out and decanting the clean(er) solvent off the top.
Old 04-09-21, 08:57 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I have the 2.5l one from Harbor Freight and am absolutely thrilled with it. I just use water with some Simple Green added and heat the water. Items as large as crankset need to be ran over one side at a time and then turned over to do another side. Within my life and this context, kerosene and mineral spirits belong to the past that I want to forget.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 04-10-21, 05:38 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
I have the 2.5l one from Harbor Freight and am absolutely thrilled with it. I just use water with some Simple Green added and heat the water. Items as large as crankset need to be ran over one side at a time and then turned over to do another side. Within my life and this context, kerosene and mineral spirits belong to the past that I want to forget.
A little small for chainrings, but for cassettes, freewheels, derailleurs, and loose-ball bearings, I would love it.

For the big stuff, if you don't have the space or the bucks for a floor-standing unit (not untrasonic, by the way), I recommend a can of citrus degreaser concentrate (available at bike shops, hardware, and auto parts stores), a bucket, a brush, and rubber gloves.
Old 04-12-21, 08:07 AM
klasse

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I have a bunch of dirty old parts including chainsets. I'd like a parts cleaner setup that will actually save me some time and messiness. Any recommendations for an ultrasonic that is big enough for a chainset? Would use Dawn or Simple green.
For the cranks/rings, I use an oil catch (they give them away at Auto Zone when you buy oil), then soak the parts in very hot water & simple green. Scrub with a metal brush. Works great.

Also have an ultrasonic cleaner like the one pictured above, use for chains/cassettes primarily.
Old 04-12-21, 08:35 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I have this one. 2 L Industry Heated Ultrasonic Cleaners Cleaning Equipment Heater W/ti – Vevor US
You can't get a crank-set in it, but it's good for every thing else.
I'd drop a chain in it every 800 miles and the chains lasted over 15k miles.
Likes For davidad:
Old 04-12-21, 06:15 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 253 Posts
+1 for Citrus Degreaser. I used to be a real fan of solvent cleaners but switched to the Zep Citrus Degreaser a few years back. I'm really impressed with this cleaner. I save gallon orange juice jugs (tougher than milk jugs) and put the parts in there, add degreaser and warm water and let it do the magic. If you have on old tumble dryer, put the jug on top and leave it for an hour. Parts come out sparkly clean.

I degrease everything that way but if something is really stubborn or has old caked on grease then into the solvent it goes after a long sitting in the Zep.
Old 04-12-21, 07:04 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Just to be clear: DON'T use kerosine or mineral spirits in an ultrsonic cleaner. Very bad karma.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 04-12-21, 08:11 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
I thought I might get some good ideas for cleaner in this thread, but sadly none of the liquids suggested seem to clean very well. As a watchmaker, I kept my old cleaning solutions and recycled them for cleaning greasy parts, and that was the best. I tried a degreaser from Harbor freight and the best it does is release the grunge but leaves large globs behind. No stars for that rating!

The old stoddard solvent we used to get for parts cleaning was great, but sadly no longer available.

-SP
Old 04-12-21, 10:48 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by speedy25
I thought I might get some good ideas for cleaner in this thread, but sadly none of the liquids suggested seem to clean very well. As a watchmaker, I kept my old cleaning solutions and recycled them for cleaning greasy parts, and that was the best. I tried a degreaser from Harbor freight and the best it does is release the grunge but leaves large globs behind. No stars for that rating!

The old stoddard solvent we used to get for parts cleaning was great, but sadly no longer available.

-SP
A watch is smaller than a crankset. Sorry that you're disappointed in us. We use what is affordable and environmentally acceptable. The AQ-1 pictured here is what we used at my last shop. https://www.safety-kleen.com/service...-parts-washers . It still required a lot of scrubbing, and you have to leave it on overnight to keep the fluid hot. It also eats the grey anodizing on Shimano derailleurs and crank parts if you leave them in too long. You can also use automotive brake cleaner, but that stuff eats paint, plastic, and rubber almost as well as it eats grease.

The bike repair co-op I belonged to while I was in college (run by the local YSA brigade) had a benchtop ultrasonic cleaner for small parts like derailleurs and freewheels, and a kerosene-filled tank for the big stuff. That was in the 1970s. The kerosene tank still required application of elbow grease and a stiff brush.

Last edited by oldbobcat; 04-12-21 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-13-21, 01:19 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Just to be clear: DON'T use kerosine or mineral spirits in an ultrsonic cleaner. Very bad karma.
At an instrumentation branch of my work they commonly use alcohol in the ultrasonic cleaners when cleaning their instrument components.
Old 04-13-21, 07:30 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by 2_i
At an instrumentation branch of my work they commonly use alcohol in the ultrasonic cleaners when cleaning their instrument components.
Open? I mean, you can put the alcohol and the parts in a baggie and put it into a water bath, and its pretty safe.

Having been very near to fatal industrial accidents, I tend to try to eliminate possibilties of disaster. So given that they make ultrasonic vaporizers... Not sure that this is the smartest thing anyone's ever done.
Old 04-13-21, 07:36 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Having said that, I recall using a vapor degreaser. It was a large vat, 4 feet by 4 feet, and about 3 feet deep. Heater in the bottom. Bottom was full of carbon tet. Turn on the heater, the CCl4 boiled, the vapor in the tank rose. You put a big basket of dirty, greasy parts in a basket and put it in the vat. The vapor rose to cover the parts and there was a constant condesation taking place. So the vapor rose, and it "rained" CCll4 down over the parts. Pretty safe if you didn't stick your hand in the vapor. 170°F vapor would burn your hand and degrease it all in one shot.
Old 04-13-21, 07:50 PM
2_i 

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Open? I mean, you can put the alcohol and the parts in a baggie and put it into a water bath, and its pretty safe.

Having been very near to fatal industrial accidents, I tend to try to eliminate possibilties of disaster. So given that they make ultrasonic vaporizers... Not sure that this is the smartest thing anyone's ever done.
I have not watched it. I am sure they have a better equipment than I at home and no safety corners are cut. They have pretty large items that they need to clean and it is doubtful these can be put into bags. I think they have containers that are hermetic and they may have nested containers.
Old 04-14-21, 10:43 AM
Bimmer69

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
Us cheapskates get by just fine with a bucket, water and laundry detergent.
overnight soak and everything comes out squeaky clean.
old toothbrush for the really gunked on stuff.
Likes For Bimmer69: