Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Rear dropout chain tension screws

Old 06-15-21, 03:42 AM
Paul_JL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear dropout chain tension screws

Bought a 2nd hand Planet X pro carbon frameset last week and it came without the chain tension screws in the rear dropout. Contacted Planet X and it's not something they sell separately.

Not sure on the size, M3 or M4 at a guess but am I right in thinking I can use any generic suitable length screws?

Thanks
Old 06-15-21, 08:13 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Probably. Though it may be difficult to find exactly what you need at your local hardware store.
Old 06-15-21, 09:56 AM
VicBC_Biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul_JL
Bought a 2nd hand Planet X pro carbon frameset last week and it came without the chain tension screws in the rear dropout. Contacted Planet X and it's not something they sell separately.

Not sure on the size, M3 or M4 at a guess but am I right in thinking I can use any generic suitable length screws?

Thanks
Are you looking for dropout adjusters, as in this picture?

Those aren't really to adjust chain tension, but to make sure that the axle is in the right spot to center the rim in the frame - that's my understanding, anyway.
The spring helps to hold the adjuster in position, and the flat end touching the axle helps to protect the axle threads.
Your LBS should have those, or you can easily find them online.
In the meantime, if your frame is 'square' you can probably just slide the axle all the way back and lock the QuickRelease tight.

EDIT: My apologies - I saw this in the 'new posts' listing and didn't pay attention to the sub-forum : Track Bikes
Please ignore the above....

Last edited by VicBC_Biker; 06-15-21 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-15-21, 10:13 AM
Paul_JL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, i can't put a photo on as i'm a new member, but it's the bolts in a horizontal dropout
Old 06-15-21, 10:20 AM
VicBC_Biker

Thanks, i can't put a photo on as i'm a new member, but it's the bolts in a horizontal dropout
A 'dropoout' like this? I think dropout is the wrong term, but anyway....
(pic of track bike end...)

Last edited by VicBC_Biker; 06-15-21 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-15-21, 10:29 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
A 'dropoout' like this? I think dropout is the wrong term, but anyway....
That's not a dropout. It is a track end. A dropout is by both definition and purpose for being, a slot that opens forward or down to enable a derailleur wheel to easily "drop out" for fast racing tire (now wheel) changes.
Old 06-15-21, 10:32 AM
VicBC_Biker

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
That's not a dropout. It is a track end. A dropout is by both definition and purpose for being, a slot that opens forward or down to enable a derailleur wheel to easily "drop out" for fast racing tire (now wheel) changes.
Thanks for that.
Old 06-15-21, 10:37 AM
VicBC_Biker

Bought a 2nd hand Planet X pro carbon frameset last week
Like this?

Old 06-15-21, 10:46 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
That is exactly what OP is talking about, and many people use the phrase drop out when they mean track end.
Old 06-15-21, 11:00 AM
Paul_JL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exactly the same bike as in your last pic VikBC Biker. I've always known that as a horizontal drop out. Anyways, it's the bolts in the rear drop outs / track ends i'm referring to?
Old 06-15-21, 12:22 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
@Paul_JL's Album:
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/540974
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/21671559
Old 06-15-21, 12:31 PM
CliffordK

It does look like the Campy style adjuster screws might fit, although perhaps too small.

I'd take the frame to a hardware store to test screw sizes. At least that will get you the right thread diameter and pitch. Also verify the threads are still good.

Are those really for tension? I bet they are a bit of a pain to use as they'll have to be loosened and tightened every time the chain or wheel is mounted or removed.
Old 06-15-21, 01:14 PM
bicievino

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Personally I removed mine for mass start racing, and haven't ever had an issue that would compel me to put them back in.
I know a few folks who only put them in for standing starts, but I think that's mostly paranoia.
Old 06-15-21, 01:22 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

Thanks
You can ride the frame without the adjusting screws.
If you are a really strong rider there are alternative devices to prevent axle slip.similar to this https://www.amazon.com/BESPORTBLE-Bi...784778&sr=8-16
Old 06-15-21, 08:04 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
They are designed to keep the wheel from slipping forward during a high torque effort like a standing start or rolling jump.

In fact, that’s the preferred method for stopping this from happening as opposed to making the wheel nuts gorilla tight. This is why some manufacturers even make track disks using allen bolts which cannot be torqued down as hard as track nuts.

You can fabricate something using bits from a local hardware store. Look in the metric section. You may have to buy two nuts for the machine screw and tighten them against each other to make a tip that you grip with your fingers to manipulate the screw in and off. I’ve made such before. It all costs less than $5.
Old 06-15-21, 08:12 PM
carleton
Elitist

Also, your final product cannot be too long. Because, if the wheel has to go all the way forward and the tensioner all the way nearly out, then your heel will touch it.

It’s not catastrophic, just annoying.

So be prepared to cut the machine screw to some optimal length.
Old 06-15-21, 09:08 PM
CliffordK

That makes some sense to prevent wheel slippage. However, I have never had the NDS slip (10-speed bikes), so is there any reason to have the screw on the left other than symmetry?
Old 06-16-21, 05:14 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
this is the most overthought thread on something simple in a long time I love it

Just buy a couple of metric bolts the right size from your local lowes/home depot (in the drawers in the fastener section) there is some concern about thread pitch, but likely they'll be right on smaller size bolts. Buy some correct nuts for them.

Thread in the dropouts to correct length for clearance, thread the nuts on as your "stop" (or use loctite purple/blue, just something to keep it from turning in transport/etc)

Or just skip it... tighten down the wheel's nuts properly. Unless you are pulling big starts or using crappy locknuts you'll be fine.
Old 06-16-21, 09:04 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by CliffordK
That makes some sense to prevent wheel slippage. However, I have never had the NDS slip (10-speed bikes), so is there any reason to have the screw on the left other than symmetry?
I would suspect that you've also never done a maximal standing start on a road bike either. But, maybe you simply don't produce enough torque (which is not unusual).

Originally Posted by Morelock
this is the most overthought thread on something simple in a long time I love it

Just buy a couple of metric bolts the right size from your local lowes/home depot (in the drawers in the fastener section) there is some concern about thread pitch, but likely they'll be right on smaller size bolts. Buy some correct nuts for them.

Thread in the dropouts to correct length for clearance, thread the nuts on as your "stop" (or use loctite purple/blue, just something to keep it from turning in transport/etc)

Or just skip it... tighten down the wheel's nuts properly. Unless you are pulling big starts or using crappy locknuts you'll be fine.
Sometimes the plates of the track ends simply aren't the right material. Titanium seems to be optimal as it's soft enough to let the axle nut "bite" into it and hold. A lot of the higher end bikes use Ti. There were lots of bikes that were notorious for allowing wheels to slip, no matter how tight you wrenched on them. Serenity Bikes frames comes to mind. I've seen 150lb ladies slip wheels using those frames.

On the other end, Tiemeyer used Ti...and don't have any tensioners or allowance for such. And I never slipped a wheel using my Tiemeyer frames. And any big sprinter using a Tiemeyer probably didn't have any either. Ti is the key.
Old 06-17-21, 08:19 AM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
The one's that came stock with my bike weren't long enough so I got my longer ones at the hardware store. It doesn't have the knob, but I basically made my own by using a couple of nuts. I used to think they were unnecessary, but it really makes adjusting the chain tension quick and easy so I've grown to really like them.
Old 06-17-21, 09:23 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by carleton
I would suspect that you've also never done a maximal standing start on a road bike either. But, maybe you simply don't produce enough torque (which is not unusual).
Try it without the NDS screw, but the bolt tight. I don't torque much, but Park suggests about 29.4Nm-44Nm or 266–390 inch pounds.

Test completed with in this case, DS chain stay rub (you can tape up the stay if you wish).

We really need Robert Förstemann on this board to run the test.
Old 06-17-21, 09:25 AM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
The one's that came stock with my bike weren't long enough so I got my longer ones at the hardware store. It doesn't have the knob, but I basically made my own by using a couple of nuts. I used to think they were unnecessary, but it really makes adjusting the chain tension quick and easy so I've grown to really like them.
Old 06-17-21, 09:37 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
For you, probably not. For a guy who is hitting 1,800 plus watts, yes.
Old 06-18-21, 10:22 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Use the screws. Your track ends and axle nuts will last longer.
Likes For Baby Puke:
Old 06-21-21, 08:58 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Use the screws. Your track ends and axle nuts will last longer.
Yup. “Track nuts” are significantly different than regular nuts that you get from a hardware store. Also, to those not familiar, you’ll appreciate buying fresh ones periodically. I suggest Dura Ace, even if you don’t have DA hubs. Just order the correct thread pitch for your hub.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.