Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bike/Ped Infrastructure Around Abandoned Suburban Malls

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 09-09-21, 07:42 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts

I'm working on a trail/bike route project and in the middle of it is a 80's-era suburban mall on one corner of two major thoroughfares. There are still a few businesses operating in it, and the surrounding strip mall and stand-alone restaurants continue to operate. Access roads and traffic lights were set up to handle much higher traffic loads than the area is seeing at present. Everyone anticipates that the property will be re-developed at some point, but no announcements have been made. The property owner is subdividing some lots on the perimeter.

Ideally, routing a MUP around the perimeter of the property would be a big part of connecting a 11 mile MUP to a larger network along the bayous of Houston.

I'm looking for experience others may have in a situation like this. Of course, every property owner, government and situation is different, but if anyone has any "war stories" or key lessons learned in similar situations I'd like to hear about them. With the decline of suburban malls in the United States, I'd imagine this isn't a first.

Thank you.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 09-10-21, 07:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Don't know anything specific for your project, but in general I'd say don't skimp on the road bed and drainage underneath the road bed. Often I see paved trails, roads and parking lots that are cosmetically perfect when new but in less than a year they have the beginnings of a pothole forming as the road bed underneath the pavement settles. Then once cracks start to form in the pavement, water gets in and quickly makes a once pretty pavement a horrible mess.

The road bed is the most important part of making a road last. IMO.
Old 09-10-21, 10:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
I'm working on a trail/bike route project and in the middle of it is a 80's-era suburban mall on one corner of two major thoroughfares. There are still a few businesses operating in it, and the surrounding strip mall and stand-alone restaurants continue to operate. Access roads and traffic lights were set up to handle much higher traffic loads than the area is seeing at present. Everyone anticipates that the property will be re-developed at some point, but no announcements have been made. The property owner is subdividing some lots on the perimeter.

Ideally, routing a MUP around the perimeter of the property would be a big part of connecting a 11 mile MUP to a larger network along the bayous of Houston.

I'm looking for experience others may have in a situation like this. Of course, every property owner, government and situation is different, but if anyone has any "war stories" or key lessons learned in similar situations I'd like to hear about them. With the decline of suburban malls in the United States, I'd imagine this isn't a first.

Thank you.

I'm a little unclear on whether you're saying it's near the end of the 11 mile path. I don't have any experience on this, but maybe figuring out a way to convince the property owner that the installation of a link to that path would enhance bicycle traffic to the former mall and therefore increase the potential retail customers, you might get an ally in trying to get this done.
Old 09-21-21, 06:44 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead

Thank you.
What specifically are you attempting to accomplish? Bike lane/s? Signals? Paint is the easiest, as there won't be anything to demolish when/if the property is redeveloped. It's also the cheapest option, and therefor the city would complain (slightly) less. Just for gods' sake, don't let them put in sharrows.