Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Specialized Como Tire Struggle

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-21, 06:58 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,630 Times in 2,918 Posts

My wife rides a 2020 Como - the middle one - and today was heading out for a ride when she saw the rear tire was flat. I told her, no problem, I could fix it in 10 minutes. She has Nimbus Sport tires BTW. A half hour later, I could not get the bead to unseat. I have repaired probably 100 tubes on road and MTB and never was unable to break the bead. I tried my best tire levers - I have 5 different sets. Rounded off screw drivers, vice grips, brute strength and nothing budged it. Looked at the interwebs and it appears to be a common complaint with no - this is a sure fire way to do it recommendations. So $20 and a trip to the bike shop a mechanic grips the tire and pulls it away as if it was nothing. Unbelievable.

So if you think you can do a roadside tube repair be prepared for a struggle unless you have gorilla like strength. My wife carries a mobile phone to call me for pickup service and AAA.

Just beware

Last edited by rsbob; 09-22-21 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-22-21, 11:03 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
Some tire/rim combinations are like that, and AFAIK the trick is to get one bead of the tire in the "groove" in the rim before trying to get the other off or (as you said) have brute strength. My wife's bike had that problem (got stolen on Sunday), so new problem(s) (repairing her old bike and procuring a new one). BTW, my brute strength seems to be waning.
Old 09-23-21, 09:18 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
You actually need to get both beads into the channel on one side of the rim so that they can lift over the edge on the other side. When unseating heavy duty tires at home I use spring clamps to press the beads together but on the road, XL binder clips from the stationery department work pretty well and of course are much lighter weight to carry around.

Likes For andychrist:
Old 09-25-21, 11:45 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
Have not had that struggle with Como's yet and I don't think any of our techs have had that issue. andychrist had the right idea in getting the bead into the center channel that will help in removing.