Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cargo/Utility bike-trike

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Cargo/Utility bike-trike

Old 04-13-21, 05:29 PM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cargo/Utility bike-trike

Looking for suggestions for a cargo trike or bike for use on a farm. Yes a farm. I live on 22-acres and have need for a bike to carry stuff: electric fence parts, tools etc. I'm really looking for a fat tire trike but other options will do. Fat tire bike with a center stand maybe, don't really want to throw my bike in the dirt. We toyed with just getting a four-wheeler but the area I'll mostly be zipping around is on only ~4 acres. The tractor handles the rest. Don't want electric.
Old 04-14-21, 10:37 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
If you can get by with a single-speed setup (or maybe a three-speed), the Worksman STPT would seem like a great choice for the farm -- simple, durable, weather-resistant.
Old 04-17-21, 03:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
Have you ridden a trike before?
Old 04-23-21, 04:24 AM
Gareth

Bikes: 2006 Falcon Explorer Hybrid, 2008 Landrover Visalia Crossover, 2010 Cargo Cycles Senton, 2010 Cargo Cycles Capability, and a 2001 AVD quad pedi-van, 1980 Peugeot Carbolite 10sp racer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 7 Posts
How about a utility quad?

I have and use one of their pedal vans: AVD - Advanced Vehicle Design and Work-Bikes

Last edited by Gareth; 04-23-21 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06-07-21, 12:55 PM
Trainbike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 9 Posts
What aboutt The blackborow from salsa? Its a fat bike with a long wheel base. For rougher roads/ more evavation but less gear id pick this
Old 06-08-21, 07:58 AM
SirLeaflock

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Priority Classic Plus Gotham-Edition

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Surly?

The Surly Big Fat Dummy could be just the thing! Look up Big Fat Dummy long term review by Seth Bell. He makes a very compelling case for the sort of use you describe. Rolling Jackass makes a center stand for it as well. I have their stand on a regular big dummy and for kid hauling and grocery loading consider it a necessity.
Old 07-24-21, 02:00 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Did you ever figure out what you wanted for a bike? There are a lot of cargo solutions in Europe. And, a few scattered around the USA. I've been wanting to try building a cargo trike for some time, but use a homemade cargo bike + trailer. Eventually I may update the tow vehicle, or go to a pure trike.

I've experimented a bit with 20x4.25" FAT tires, as well as 16x3" (mini-FAT).

The Eugene bike co-op, (CAT, Center for Appropriate Transport, Human Powered Machines) made what they called a "tri-hauler" in the past.

They still have the shop, but I don't know how many cargo bikes they're making. They used to have an apprenticeship program which included building one.

The founder, Jan VanderTuin has been slowing down a lot over the last few years.

Most of their more recent trikes have been electric assist.

Their trikes are front wheel drive only, and they tend to build them around 20" BMX style wheels and tires. Schwalbe Marathon 20". For a custom build, one could potentially use any where one wishes.

Last edited by CliffordK; 07-24-21 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-20-21, 02:03 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 448 Posts
Seen in NYC since spring 2021: