Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Restaurant delivery car parked in bike lane. Posted picture on Google map reviews.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Restaurant delivery car parked in bike lane. Posted picture on Google map reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-21, 02:07 PM
homeless in ca.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Does anyone with the capacity to take action on your complaints ever respond in a positive manner to your petty grievances about parking violations by delivery service drivers?
Yes. I have not seen any more Benny BBQ restaurant vehicles parked in the bike lane.
Old 06-03-21, 04:17 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
I don't care when cars park in the bike lanes, I just reciprocate by taking the lane.
Old 06-03-21, 04:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
No, parking in the bike lane isn't dangerous. It may be the catalyst that causes a cyclist to make a bad decision. In some places in the CBD, there are two standard travel lanes and no bike lanes. Delivery trucks regularly park in the travel lanes to make deliveries. From a risk and risk mitigation standpoint, that is no different from a truck parking in the bike lane. You know what I do when I encounter that situation while pedaling? I make sure it's safe to go around, then I go around. My street is lined with autos parked in the travel lanes. Most streets in this area are. You know what I do when I encounter one while pedaling? I make sure it's safe to go around, then go around.

To remind you, this is the question you continue to dodge.

Thinking about the bigger picture, about 8 times more pedestrians are killed each year in the USA than are cyclists, so why is forcing him to push his dolly across 3-4 intersections or more a better solution than me going (pedaling) around?
I think you're missing a larger point--in the situations you're talking about, the bike lane will quickly become the de facto delivery parking lane and cease to be an effective bike lane. Any one such truck or car is no big deal, but if it's known that the bike lane isn't enforced, it's going to be a lot more than one.

I'm not a fan of "broken windows" because it's been used to justify overly aggressive police interventions over petty matters, but this is clearly an issue of deterrence being needed to preserve the traffic system.

The proliferation of delivery services and the shift to online shopping are imposing social costs that need to be allocated somehow. Old city centers especially are not designed to accommodate the numbers of delivery vehicles that we're now seeing, and seeing this entirely from the perspective of the delivery driver really misses a larger point-- there really needs to be a real rethinking about how urban deliveries can be made. In the meantime, if people who rely on bike lanes for their transit through those urban centers don't "fight back" figuratively, they're likely going to see the bike lane converted into one very long parking lot.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-03-21, 07:18 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think you're missing a larger point--in the situations you're talking about, the bike lane will quickly become the de facto delivery parking lane and cease to be an effective bike lane. Any one such truck or car is no big deal, but if it's known that the bike lane isn't enforced, it's going to be a lot more than one.

I see this from both sides and thoughtfully examine it from both sides.

Enforce bike lane infractions when reasonable alternatives exist and aren't used. Don't enforce them when no reasonable alternative exists or when the infraction isn't affecting anyone. This is nothing new to law enforcement. They apply discretion and a standard or reasonableness regularly. I don't hesitate to run a traffic light right in front of one of the downtown police precincts. Cops see me do this nearly every time I ride downtown. They see that there is no harm in it. There's no telling how many times I have been clocked going over the speed limit while driving and not been pulled over. Several times I have been pulled over and not ticketed.

I truly believe our advocacy needs to apply the same standard of reasonableness we'd like applied to us. When it is seen as unreasonable or dogmatic, it can be counterproductive.

As a cyclist, when I come upon a bike lane obstruction, I do what I do when I am driving and see a travel lane obstruction. I go around when it's safe. I recognize and respect that cyclists are more vulnerable, but the risk mitigation measures are exactly the same when driving and riding. Proceed when safe. In the case of the delivery driver parked in the bike lane where I posted the satellite image, had a rider been in the lane, they could have gone around the inside of the delivery truck.Slowly and cautiously of course.

It's as if we expect to ride unimpeded, but we don't have that same expectation when driving. Our CBDs are tight on space. We can never make them perfect for pedestrians, cyclists, drivers and delivery services.

For clarification, I view parking in a bike lane much differently from making a quick stop for a load, unload or delivery in the bike lane.
Old 06-03-21, 07:23 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
There is no question that some vehicles are parked or stopped in the bike lane without a thought given to how it might affect others. My tangent on this thread is that there are times when there isn't a reasonable option as it relates to delivery drivers. Well, an option that most folks would consider reasonable.

I am all for advocacy, but we all need to be aware of the larger picture. When we go scorched earth we are going to alienate some of those we need as allies. I had dinner with the wife of a local urban planner two nights ago. Her husband is the one who handles the bicycle infrastructure in our 3 parish (county) area. She gave me some valuable insight into some of the push back he gets. The screaming loudly and throwing a tantrum kind of advocacy can only carry you so far. Pissing one key person off can create an insurmountable hurdle.

The OP has said he subscribes to the broken window theory. I don't. If I were going to do what he does, I'd offer the photo, a brief explanation of the dangers it poses to cyclists and the reasonable alternative available. That's advocacy. Raising hell when a delivery driver stops in a bike lane on a largely empty street for a 2 minute pizza delivery isn't advocacy. Nor is it when a reasonable alternative doesn't exist in a CBD.
All good points, but is OP going scorched earth, screaming, throwing tantrums or breaking windows? If so, I don't recall seeing it.

I'm not a fan of "broken windows" because it's been used to justify overly aggressive police interventions over petty matters, but this is clearly an issue of deterrence being needed to preserve the traffic system.

The proliferation of delivery services and the shift to online shopping are imposing social costs that need to be allocated somehow. Old city centers especially are not designed to accommodate the numbers of delivery vehicles that we're now seeing, and seeing this entirely from the perspective of the delivery driver really misses a larger point-- there really needs to be a real rethinking about how urban deliveries can be made. In the meantime, if people who rely on bike lanes for their transit through those urban centers don't "fight back" figuratively, they're likely going to see the bike lane converted into one very long parking lot.
LDL makes a good point here too. Just because riding around is no problem for me and others doesn't mean pointing out violations can't be productive for raising motorist awareness, reducing BL infractions, and maybe even coming up with some better solutions for all.

Like dump the bike lanes. I kid! *runs off to get fire suit* Seriously, bike lanes certainly have their place and I admire those who would defend/protect them. Maybe some here believe the infractions have to be raised to an intolerable level before any defenders can say or do anything about it? I'd say by then it's too late.
Old 06-03-21, 07:58 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I am headed out for a kayaking vacation. Kayakers are to motor boaters what bicyclists are to motorists.
Old 06-03-21, 09:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I see this from both sides and thoughtfully examine it from both sides.

Enforce bike lane infractions when reasonable alternatives exist and aren't used. Don't enforce them when no reasonable alternative exists or when the infraction isn't affecting anyone. This is nothing new to law enforcement. They apply discretion and a standard or reasonableness regularly. I don't hesitate to run a traffic light right in front of one of the downtown police precincts. Cops see me do this nearly every time I ride downtown. They see that there is no harm in it. There's no telling how many times I have been clocked going over the speed limit while driving and not been pulled over. Several times I have been pulled over and not ticketed.

I truly believe our advocacy needs to apply the same standard of reasonableness we'd like applied to us. When it is seen as unreasonable or dogmatic, it can be counterproductive.

As a cyclist, when I come upon a bike lane obstruction, I do what I do when I am driving and see a travel lane obstruction. I go around when it's safe. I recognize and respect that cyclists are more vulnerable, but the risk mitigation measures are exactly the same when driving and riding. Proceed when safe. In the case of the delivery driver parked in the bike lane where I posted the satellite image, had a rider been in the lane, they could have gone around the inside of the delivery truck.Slowly and cautiously of course.

It's as if we expect to ride unimpeded, but we don't have that same expectation when driving. Our CBDs are tight on space. We can never make them perfect for pedestrians, cyclists, drivers and delivery services.

For clarification, I view parking in a bike lane much differently from making a quick stop for a load, unload or delivery in the bike lane.

I think the reality here is that your exception is likely to swallow the rule in any crowded CBD.
Old 06-03-21, 12:06 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
I think the reality here is that your exception is likely to swallow the rule in any crowded CBD.
Note that none of the OP's "violation of the law!" pictures and complaints about a delivery vehicle parked in a bike lane that he encountered appeared to involve a crowded CBD or even a busy street.
Old 06-03-21, 12:57 PM
homeless in ca.

Note that none of the OP's "violation of the law!" pictures and complaints about a delivery vehicle parked in a bike lane that he encountered appeared to involve a crowded CBD or even a busy street.
Rue Girouard is a busy road and I counted several cyclists who had to dodge the illegally parked van whose driver nearly clubbed a woman in the head with a 2x4.

But keep splitting your hairs I'm sure you will find one fine enough to satisfy the Paul Doctrine that drivers should only be expected to respect the bike lanes when it doesn't inconvenience the all important task of delivering office supplies.
Old 06-03-21, 01:09 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I don't care when cars park in the bike lanes, I just reciprocate by taking the lane.
I do care. That's why when I take the lane, I ride more slowly.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 06-03-21, 02:33 PM
work4bike

Originally Posted by Daniel4
I do care. That's why when I take the lane, I ride more slowly.
We're forced to take the lane when the bike lane is obstructed, but I'm not prepared to "ride more slowly". It's inevitable that we will slow motorist down at some point, by taking the lane, but I see no reason to purposely go slower. I am careful in not slowing down other vehicles on the road, but it does happen, especially when I have to avoid pot holes, but they never have to slam on the brakes.

How much slower do you go?

Old 06-03-21, 02:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

So? Didn't say it did. I was discussing the New Orleans example.
Old 06-03-21, 02:38 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
We're forced to take the lane when the bike lane is obstructed, but I'm not prepared to "ride more slowly". It's inevitable that we will slow motorist down at some point, by taking the lane, but I see no reason to purposely go slower. I am careful in not slowing down other vehicles on the road, but it does happen, especially when I have to avoid pot holes, but they never have to slam on the brakes.

How much slower do you go?

No slower than any family out for a ride with their kids. Motorists following can take a good look why we're in front of him when there's a bike lane full of parked cars right beside him.

Streets are supposed to be safe to use regardless if you're 8 or 80. That's the premise behind Vision Zero.

Last edited by Daniel4; 06-03-21 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-03-21, 02:52 PM
work4bike

No slower than any family out for a ride with their kids. Motorists following can take a good look why we're in front of him when there's a bike lane full of parked cars right beside him.

Streets are supposed to be safe to use regardless if you're 8 or 80. That's the premise behind Vision Zero.
That's true, but it just goes against my being to purposely be an inconvenience to someone that had nothing to do with me having to take the lane. I don't like to group all motorist as the same, just as I don't want motorist to group me with a cyclist I saw today riding across an intersection against both the stop light and the traffic, making people put on their brakes.
Old 06-03-21, 03:36 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,347 Times in 935 Posts
It's much more likely that the motorist will think you are just an a-hole. The motorist might not even realize that it's a bike lane.

Congratulations on figuring out a way of making an (arguably) bad thing even worse!
Old 06-03-21, 08:02 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I honestly don't give a crap if a delivery person briefly blocks the bike line. I can share. These folks - who are usually among the most economically vulnerable to start with and hardest hit by the recent pandemic - are just trying to put food on the table. I can't believe some people get so bent out of shape about this.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-03-21, 08:09 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I honestly don't give a crap if a delivery person briefly blocks the bike line. I can share. These folks - who are usually among the most economically vulnerable to start with and hardest hit by the recent pandemic - are just trying to put food on the table. I can't believe some people get so bent out of shape about this.
It's like a holy war for some people.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-03-21, 08:42 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It's like a holy war for some people.
More like a handful of self righteous bicyclists who see themselves as perpetual victims of any motorist that crosses their path, waging what they see as a holy roller battle with representatives of an evil/greedy/ignorant/wicked motor powered economy/culture that doesn't recognize the righteousness of dogma driven obnoxiousness.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 06-04-21, 08:28 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Big city problems. Come out here to small town America and you don't have to worry about such things.
Old 06-04-21, 08:30 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
More like a handful of self righteous bicyclists who see themselves as perpetual victims of any motorist that crosses their path, waging what they see as a holy roller battle with representatives of an evil/greedy/ignorant/wicked motor powered economy/culture that doesn't recognize the righteousness of dogma driven obnoxiousness.
Well when you put it that way it doesn’t seem so bad
Old 06-04-21, 10:45 AM
njkayaker

This doesn't make much sense.

Delivery trucks already have no disincentive to park in bicycle lanes (or nearly anywhere).

That is, it's likely what is currently seen isn't going to get worse.

The COVID stuff (already a year old) caused a large increase in deliveries. Deliveries aren't likely to increase significantly more (it seems more likely they will drop some as things open up).

"The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

The COVID stuff (already a year old) caused a large increase in deliveries. Deliveries aren't likely to increase significantly more (it seems more likely they will drop some as things open up).

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-04-21 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-04-21, 10:52 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by homeless in ca.
Rue Girouard is a busy road and I counted several cyclists who had to dodge the illegally parked van whose driver nearly clubbed a woman in the head with a 2x4.
If cyclists are "dodging" parked cars, they probably shouldn't be riding on the roads.
Old 06-04-21, 07:29 PM
homeless in ca.

Originally Posted by njkayaker
If cyclists are "dodging" parked cars, they probably shouldn't be riding on the roads.
Correct. They should be riding in the bike lane. But the Renorun delivery truck was parked there.
Old 06-04-21, 08:09 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by homeless in ca.
Correct. They should be riding in the bike lane. But the Renorun delivery truck was parked there.

Whoosh!

If they need to "dodge" a parked car, they aren't aware enough and will have all sorts of problems.

Bike lanes are not magic.

If people can't deal with common traffic issues, bike lanes won't save them.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-04-21 at 08:35 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-05-21, 06:49 AM
homeless in ca.

Originally Posted by njkayaker

Whoosh!

If they need to "dodge" a parked car, they aren't aware enough and will have all sorts of problems.

Bike lanes are not magic.

If people can't deal with common traffic issues, bike lanes won't save them.
It's not really a bike lane if cars are parked there. Either we have bike lanes to encourage people to ride bicycles or we don't and we let people park their cars there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.