Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Restaurant delivery car parked in bike lane. Posted picture on Google map reviews.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Restaurant delivery car parked in bike lane. Posted picture on Google map reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-21, 11:51 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by homeless in ca.
Wrong. Motor vehicles parked in the bike lane are a danger to cyclists and Montreal police advise calling 911
You dial 911 only if you are in an accident...You're shouldn't dial 911 to report delivery drivers who are just trying to do their daily job.

Old 08-13-21, 12:02 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 330 Posts
I think the capitalist system just regards people getting injured or killed by cars as the cost of doing business. It's an externality like noise and pollution that is imposed on our public space.
OK, let's test that proposition. (Source is Wikipedia but the contrasts are so great that the point will be valid regardless of source.)

Well, economic system doesn't seem to cut it.

How about our value system regards people getting injured or killed, be it by motor vehicles, disease, etc. as less important than speed, "!viva yo!", etc?

(Oh, and the brakes must be shot on all those 1950's Chevys in Cuba...)
Old 08-13-21, 12:22 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Here is the English version.
My question to you. When you call 911 for cars parked in the bike lane, what is their response like to you? Are they receptive of your complaint or do they lecture you like what Wolfchild does about using 911 for this purpose?
Old 08-13-21, 12:22 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
OK, let's test that proposition. (Source is Wikipedia but the contrasts are so great that the point will be valid regardless of source.)

Well, economic system doesn't seem to cut it.

How about our value system regards people getting injured or killed, be it by motor vehicles, disease, etc. as less important than speed, "!viva yo!", etc?

(Oh, and the brakes must be shot on all those 1950's Chevys in Cuba...)

TBH, I'm not sure what significance to make from the right hand column. Per 100k motor vehicles is a pretty odd measure. A low number there could just mean that some countries have a lot of cars and trucks that aren't being driven very much. Per 100k motor vehicle miles might make a bit more sense.

Since I'm an inhabitant and not a vehicle, I like my odds in Cuba a bit more than I do in the U.S.
Vietnam or China, on the other hand....
Old 08-13-21, 01:35 PM
homeless in ca.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
My question to you. When you call 911 for cars parked in the bike lane, what is their response like to you? Are they receptive of your complaint or do they lecture you like what Wolfchild does about using 911 for this purpose?
They ask for the address and send someone. I've never been told I shouldn't call 911 to report vehicles parked in the bike lane.
Old 08-13-21, 02:07 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
You dial 911 only if you are in an accident...You're shouldn't dial 911 to report delivery drivers who are just trying to do their daily job.
A character who doesn't know the difference (or care if there is a difference ) between a vehicle illegally parking, and a delivery vehicle stopping to make a business delivery to nearby premises, or describes almost anything a motorist does as "bad driving" might just call 911 for anything that upsets his tender sensibilities.

I suspect that such a person is more likely to have a bad outcome from deliberately provoking delivery drivers with his gratuitous lectures or perhaps the police with frivolous 911 calls than ever getting any positive results for his peculiar actions.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 08-13-21, 02:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
A character who doesn't know the difference (or care if there is a difference ) between a vehicle illegally parking, and a delivery vehicle stopping to make a business delivery to nearby premises, or describes almost anything a motorist does as "bad driving" might just call 911 for anything that upsets his tender sensibilities.

I suspect that such a person is more likely to have a bad outcome from deliberately provoking delivery drivers with his gratuitous lectures or perhaps the police with frivolous 911 calls than ever getting any positive results for his peculiar actions.

Cough cough, "Bike Lane Karen", cough cough.

I'm pretty sure that someone who repeatedly called 911 for this several times would probably be warned that they'd be charged with abusing the 911 system the next time they did so in a lot of cities.
Old 08-13-21, 03:46 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts

Since you don't appear to understand the difference between cars parked "along" the bike lane and parking "in" the bike lane posting an English translation would not have made any difference..
They started out by saying, "...parked along side a sidewalk...", and in my case a bike lane is along side a sidewalk and the other side is the normal traffic lane, so it was easy for me to visualize a car parking in a bike lane in the way that sentence was worded. Very unusual for a car to park on a sidewalk or in a normal traffic lane.

So, how many times do you dial 911 for a car parked in the bike lane?

BTW, it doesn't seem much different if a car is parked in a bike lane than next to a bike lane, because if it's in the bike lane, I still have to go around, but if it's parked along side a bike lane, again I still have to go around to avoid getting doored.

Old 08-13-21, 03:55 PM
work4bike

Here is the English version.

https://spvm.qc.ca/en/Fiches/Details...parked-vehicle

Badly parked vehicle

Here is how to proceed to report a badly parked vehicle.
Note that in all cases, due to emergencies that may arise on the territory, we cannot estimate the response time.

Please provide a description of the vehicle and the licence plate number. Please dial 911 if the vehicle leaves the premises.

You are in the presence of the driver of an illegally-parked vehicle?

• Dial 911.
  • It is important that you remain on site to meet with the police officer.

An illegally-parked vehicle is creating an unsafe situation for other vehicles or pedestrians?

• Dial 911 and describe the dangerous situation.
  • Do not remain on the scene of the incident not to put your own safety at risk.

I read the link and it doesn't give cars parked in bike lanes as an example, so I'm guessing the cops probably will put any call in on a car parked in a bike lane a low priority. Granted, a car parked in a bike lane is illegal parking, but it's been my experience that this isn't something that 911 responds to, but I'm still curious how many times you've called 911 on bike lane obstructions? I almost want to take a ride up to Canada and start looking for cars parked in bike lanes and call the cops

Badly parked vehicle

Here is how to proceed to report a badly parked vehicle.
Note that in all cases, due to emergencies that may arise on the territory, we cannot estimate the response time.

Please provide a description of the vehicle and the licence plate number. Please dial 911 if the vehicle leaves the premises.

You are in the presence of the driver of an illegally-parked vehicle?

• Dial 911.
  • It is important that you remain on site to meet with the police officer.

An illegally-parked vehicle is creating an unsafe situation for other vehicles or pedestrians?

• Dial 911 and describe the dangerous situation.
  • Do not remain on the scene of the incident not to put your own safety at risk.

Are you a contractor?

• Dial 514-280-2222, option 5.
  • Remain on site to meet with a parking attendant.

A vehicle is parked on private property?

• It is important that you remain on site to meet with a police officer or parking attendant.

An illegally-parked vehicle is blocking a property entrance?
6 apartments or less

• The parking attendants will either issue a statement of offence or have the vehicle towed.
  • It is important that you remain on site to meet with a parking attendant.

An illegally-parked vehicle is blocking the entrance to a property?
More than 6 apartments

• The parking attendants will either issue a statement of offence or have the vehicle towed.
  • You do not need to remain on site.

A vehicle appears to be abandoned?

The vehicle is collecting statements of offence, has been vandalized or may have been stolen.
  • Dial 911.
  • You do not need to remain on site.

Old 08-13-21, 03:59 PM
work4bike

BTW, what I hate more than parked cars in the bike lane (or along side) are cyclists that ride in the wrong direction in a bike lane that's definitely more dangerous.
Likes For work4bike:
Old 08-13-21, 06:34 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
They ask for the address and send someone. I've never been told I shouldn't call 911 to report vehicles parked in the bike lane.
Well then. That should be the end of the discussion. Who are we, who don't live in Longueuil, to argue any improvements to law enforcement in Longueuil, Quebec? If it proves successful, maybe it'll spread to the rest of the province and then to other provinces in Canada.

The rest of the forum-karens can just whine about it to each other.

Last edited by Daniel4; 08-13-21 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-14-21, 01:31 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Well then. That should be the end of the discussion. Who are we, who don't live in Longueuil, to argue any improvements to law enforcement in Longueuil, Quebec? If it proves successful, maybe it'll spread to the rest of the province and then to other provinces in Canada.

The rest of the forum-karens can just whine about it to each other.
Good stuff.
If it is only centric to one specific town in Canada why even post in the first place? The data would not be relevant based upon your post Karen.
Or are you under the impression that OP would only get responses from his neighbors?
Old 08-14-21, 03:59 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Good stuff.
If it is only centric to one specific town in Canada why even post in the first place? The data would not be relevant based upon your post Karen.
Or are you under the impression that OP would only get responses from his neighbors?
I suspect if the OP posted locally about his actions to gratuitously hassle and provoke delivery drivers for making stops in their neighborhood he would get far more hostile reactions than he has received so far from this moderated audience.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 08-14-21, 04:07 PM
work4bike

Another thing that scares me about riding near parked cars are kids/dogs that come running out from between the cars, or even adults if the vehicle is large enough to provide cover.

And even with delivery vehicles, the delivery man has a tendency to jump out without looking too closely, probably because he has a lot of deliveries and is in a hurry. I've seen some really close calls in these situations, I take a wide berth with all parked vehicles.

Old 08-14-21, 04:57 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by work4bike
Another thing that scares me about riding near parked cars are kids/dogs that come running out from between the cars, or even adults if the vehicle is large enough to provide cover.

And even with delivery vehicles, the delivery man has a tendency to jump out without looking too closely, probably because he has a lot of deliveries and is in a hurry. I've seen some really close calls in these situations, I take a wide berth with all parked vehicles.
Makes sense to give obstacles and potential hazards a wide berth.

Of course an alternative is for a self described do-gooder to stop and lecture drivers about the errors of their ways. Maybe even call 911 and report them as well as children and dogs who might run out in front of an all important bicyclist, or cause him to have to alter his speed or course as a precaution when riding amongst others in the city (oh the horror!)
Old 08-14-21, 06:11 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Maybe even call 911 and report them as well as children and dogs who might run out in front of an all important bicyclist, or cause him to have to alter his speed or course as a precaution when riding amongst others in the city (oh the horror!)
+1.

“9-1-1. What’s your emergency?”

”A kid ran out in front of me chasing a ball and I had to avoid him on my bike!”

“*click*”
Old 08-16-21, 03:14 PM
homeless in ca.

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
Old 08-16-21, 04:38 PM
work4bike

That's funny
Old 08-17-21, 12:59 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Why did someone draw a crude picture of a bicycle in the middle of the road?