Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Loose helmet mirrors: fixes, or suggestions for replacement?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 04-22-10, 11:14 AM
Praxis
Not a legend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would like a helmet mirror that doesn't get loose so quickly. I've seen this thread for suggestions on repair. I currently have a Cycleaware. I tried threadlocker, but it isn't helping. I don't want to buy a new mirror (or parts) every year if I can avoid it.

I'd like a helmet or eyeglass mirror that can be removed and replaced easily (for helmet stowage) and doesn't get loose so fast. I've seen the ones that stick on the lens, but don't know how great that would be (and I have a few different lenses for my glasses, and they may not fit). Any suggestions? My mirror went from "moves only at 30+ mph" to "moves in strong winds" to "flops around uselessly".

Alternatively, additional repair suggestions wouldn't hurt but it seems like this model just is engineered this way (for what are probably safety reasons).
Old 04-22-10, 11:50 AM
crazybikerchick

Bikes: Devinci Caribou, Kona Dew Plus, Raleigh Twenty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take-a-look mirror. Its all metal, easily removable (I wear mine on sunglasses). And they have a guarantee against breakage. I think if something does break you can mail them the glasses and $2 and they'll fix it.
Old 04-22-10, 12:48 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I have Third Eye mirrors glued to my helmets. If anything, they are almost too stiff. Never had an issue with them moving unless they get physically bumped. One of mine is on its second helmet and still going strong. Definately not removable, however.
Likes For CACycling:
Old 04-24-10, 08:50 PM
Praxis
Not a legend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crazybikerchick
Take-a-look mirror. Its all metal, easily removable (I wear mine on sunglasses). And they have a guarantee against breakage. I think if something does break you can mail them the glasses and $2 and they'll fix it.
Got the take-a-look. So far I'm a fan. Solid, great field of view. It's nice to see back there again!

Between the leverage and the weight it seems to pull down the glasses a bit, so I have to push them up once in a while. Anyone else have this problem, and if so how do you fix it?
Old 04-25-10, 02:54 AM
akohekohe
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Praxis
I would like a helmet mirror that doesn't get loose so quickly. I've seen this thread for suggestions on repair. I currently have a Cycleaware. I tried threadlocker, but it isn't helping. I don't want to buy a new mirror (or parts) every year if I can avoid it.

I'd like a helmet or eyeglass mirror that can be removed and replaced easily (for helmet stowage) and doesn't get loose so fast. I've seen the ones that stick on the lens, but don't know how great that would be (and I have a few different lenses for my glasses, and they may not fit). Any suggestions? My mirror went from "moves only at 30+ mph" to "moves in strong winds" to "flops around uselessly".

Alternatively, additional repair suggestions wouldn't hurt but it seems like this model just is engineered this way (for what are probably safety reasons).
I used to have this problem with the third eye, eye glasses mirror but now I simply put epoxy on the joints, then adjust it while riding and the epoxy is still pliable. When the epoxy sets you never have to adjust it again. The other alteration I've made to the Third Eye is I cut off the three prongs you use to attach it to the eye glasses and use small zip ties instead. This holds the mirror much more securely than the three prongs. To remove just slip the zip ties off the front and back of the third eye "rail", remove the third eye and then slip them off the back of the eyeglass temple. Reverse to install the mirror (this won't work if you have eyeglasses where the temples thicken at the ends).
Old 04-25-10, 06:24 AM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have a cycleaware mirror also and ran into the same problem. I took the ball and socket apart. I took the socket and very quickly held it over a Bic lighter just enough to heat up the tangs on one side of the socket. One or two passes over the flame should be enough. I then squeezed them in ever so lightly. Not too much or the ball won't fit back in. It worked and I think the ball is a much tighter fit. Just don't overheat the tangs or you'll ruin them.
Old 04-25-10, 10:29 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Which cycleaware? I have a Reflex, and it's about 4 years old and not loose at all. I guess if it got loose I'd try putting piece of paper or something around the ball and then pushing it back into the socket. Or maybe a piece of tape around the ball. needs to be able to slip though.
Old 04-25-10, 02:21 PM
Bikehead
The good looking one

Bikes: gary fisher, Schwinn Woodland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 I use a piece of saran wrap or alum. foil, form it around the ball of the
mirror, than push it back into the socket. With the saran wrap I heat the
top of the wrap with a match, o keep it from comming loose. The mirror
is as tight or thighter when new, and has been going strong for about
9 months, now
Old 04-25-10, 04:32 PM
Pobble.808
alleged person

Bikes: 1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Long-time Reflex user here. My fix for loose ball/socket joints is to disconnect and put a dab or two of nail polish on the ball, let it dry, then reconnect. This tightens the joint enough to keep it from from flopping around but still leaves it easily adjustable. May have to reapply about once a year, but it's quick, easy, effective, and foolproof.
Old 04-27-10, 07:03 AM
bikeideas

Bikes: Trek Elite 9.8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got the take-a-look. So far I'm a fan. Solid, great field of view. It's nice to see back there again!

Between the leverage and the weight it seems to pull down the glasses a bit, so I have to push them up once in a while. Anyone else have this problem, and if so how do you fix it?
I find Take-A-Look and Third-Eye mirrors too big to have in my face, so I made a light, compact design for my sunglasses (eyeglasses).

Please pattern the design for yourself ~ or follow signature link.
Old 04-27-10, 12:24 PM
Praxis
Not a legend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeideas
I find Take-A-Look and Third-Eye mirrors too big to have in my face, so I made a light, compact design for my sunglasses (eyeglasses).

Please pattern the design for yourself ~ or follow signature link.
Thanks! I'm really digging the bigger mirror, but it's definitely a tradeoff. Might try this. I saw a similar design in my neck of the woods that used a polished bottle cap (possibly just a glued-in mirror), your choice of beverage.

Ah, there it is: https://www.marketingcounsel.com/beerview_mirrors.html

Last edited by Praxis; 04-27-10 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Mirror technicality
Old 04-27-10, 01:14 PM
bikeideas

Bikes: Trek Elite 9.8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw a similar design in my neck of the woods that used a polished bottle cap (possibly just a glued-in mirror), your choice of beverage.
The bottle cap mirror is $15 plus $3 ship = $18! Too much. MessengerMirror is under $6 delivered.
Old 04-27-10, 11:07 PM
Praxis
Not a legend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeideas
The bottle cap mirror is $15 plus $3 ship = $18! Too much. MessengerMirror is under $6 delivered.
Oh, I hear you there. And it doesn't even include the beer!

Different strokes, and all that. You've got a good deal going there.
Old 04-30-10, 06:54 PM
h. bicycletus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
++ on take-a-look. I gorilla glue the mounting tab to my helmet and add another twist of wire to further secure the mirror wire. . .(had a poorly mounted one fall off during a road-sit "pit stop" in the trees) . But its the most durable, adjustable helmet mirror I've seen and I can't imagine using anything else. . .the plastic stuff just doesn't seem as well made or durable.
Old 09-17-21, 01:50 PM
JohnDaly

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by akohekohe
I used to have this problem with the third eye, eye glasses mirror but now I simply put epoxy on the joints, then adjust it while riding and the epoxy is still pliable. When the epoxy sets you never have to adjust it again. The other alteration I've made to the Third Eye is I cut off the three prongs you use to attach it to the eye glasses and use small zip ties instead. This holds the mirror much more securely than the three prongs. To remove just slip the zip ties off the front and back of the third eye "rail", remove the third eye and then slip them off the back of the eyeglass temple. Reverse to install the mirror (this won't work if you have eyeglasses where the temples thicken at the ends).
Thanks. I had tried pliable glue and floor polish but realized on reading your post that I do NOT need to adjust the mirror angle. Just look it in they way it works and epoxy it hard.
Appreciate the tip.
JD
Old 09-28-21, 03:07 PM
fat biker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
I have nothing to add, just wanted to say this really is a clever bunch. Generous too.

still fat
Old 09-28-21, 07:00 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by CACycling
I have Third Eye mirrors glued to my helmets. If anything, they are almost too stiff. Never had an issue with them moving unless they get physically bumped. One of mine is on its second helmet and still going strong. Definately not removable, however.
Third Eye is amazing. However, I just bought one made to attach to your visor with a screw on arm. I like it!
Old 10-03-21, 07:06 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
I like the Third Eye glasses-mount and have used them for many years. When the joints get a little loose, they can be tightened by jamming them together. I may try that epoxy trick, thanks!
The closer the mirror is to the eye, the smaller diameter that will give an adequate field of view. For this reason, I prefer the glasses-mount over the helmet-mount mirrors.
Third Eye employs people with intellectual and physical disabilities, so buying their products also supports a good cause.
Old 10-04-21, 11:43 AM
thorsteno
wannabe

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the take a look and like it much. I drilled a few holes in my visor and ziptied in place. It only gets misaligned when I bump the mirror on something while wearing or storing the helmet. One disadvantage of the mirror is the sharp edges which I've heard cut a BikeForums users face during a crash. Never had that problem personally.
Old 10-08-21, 12:46 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts