Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rivnut tutorial

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rivnut tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-11, 09:56 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Rivnut tutorial

I deliberated for years over adding rivnuts for a water bottle cage to my Raleigh Gran Sport. The bike is no showboat, but I'm unaccustomed to drilling holes in 531 framesets. Well, I finally convinced myself it was the right thing to do, and after a couple test runs on a scrap piece of tubing, it was cake. The installation tool for rivnuts is costly for the occasional user, but I found the following method works very well. I ordered the rivnuts from McMaster Carr, pt. #95105A175.
Clearly there are frames I wouldn't drill, but for all the rest, this provides a nice and pretty simple alternative to clamps, handlebar cages or going thirsty, and does it with minimal damage to paint. I've read the horrors about rivnuts coming loose but my understanding is that most of those stories involve aluminum frames and probably aluminum rivnuts. I'm not expecting any problems from my steel/steel application.

Other than a drill, a small pilot bit, a 19/64" bit, and a little grease, this is what I used. That's an M5 bolt (I grabbed the clamp bolt from an unused brake lever), a 10 mm nut (you do NOT want the nut thread to fit the bolt) and a couple fender washers. The wrenches hopefully are obvious.

After applying some grease to both of the washers, the bits are assembled finger tight as shown prior to inserting the rivnut into the hole.

The 10mm wrench holds the nut while the bolt is turned to draw the rivnut tight. When it suddenly becomes more difficult to turn, it's time to stop.

The result is a well-crimped, solid attachment point for bottle cages. It might also prove useful for a chainguard-to-seat tube attachment. I wouldn't use them for smaller tubing, though - eg. seatstay rack attachment points.
Likes For due ruote:
Old 02-04-11, 10:01 AM
zzyzx_xyzzy
headtube.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What's your technique for drilling the holes on center?
Old 02-04-11, 11:03 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by zzyzx_xyzzy
What's your technique for drilling the holes on center?
I suppose I should say I made an elaborate jig and all that, but honestly I just taped a bottle cage on the frame, marked the locations and carefully drilled the pilot holes.

I measured a few frames with factory brazed bosses, and there didn't appear to be a standard location for bottle mounts on the downtube. You do need to be careful, though, to put the bottom hole high enough that you can get your drill in between the seat tube and downtube. My bottom hole is about 6" from the bottom bracket. A right-angle drill would be helpful but I don't own one. If you plan to do a lot of these you could cut off a drill bit and re-grind the edge; that would buy you some flexibility.
Old 02-04-11, 11:03 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
.. one more technique , a simple jig , drill a hole , or the 2 in the spacing you need
thru the corner of a piece of angle iron, drill press will get it straight .

then you can use the hand drill on the confined space in the frame.
Old 02-04-11, 05:04 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
.. one more technique , a simple jig , drill a hole , or the 2 in the spacing you need
thru the corner of a piece of angle iron, drill press will get it straight .

then you can use the hand drill on the confined space in the frame.
That's essentially what the J.A.Stein bottle cage drilling jig is. I have one, and it works very well. A right angle drill is a handy thing to have too.
Old 02-04-11, 07:23 PM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
cage jig

jiggy

Old 02-04-11, 08:46 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Very nicely illustrated and described tutorial. Your M5 bolt, oversize nut and two wrenches can also be used to retighten an OEM Rivnut in a frame but loose.
Old 07-15-21, 02:11 PM
Mambo Dave

Bikes: Dawes, Jamis, Gardin, Can-o-ale

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you. I ordered rivnuts, and am probably going to add a third water bottle cage to a more modern frame.
Old 07-18-21, 12:51 PM
skipper0802

Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Pro, 2008 5.2 Madone

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your post. I need to replace a rivnut and this expedient method is what I'm going to use. I think If I was going to repair more rivnuts, I'd buy the tool for it. However, this one instance is the only one I've had ever.
Appreciate!
Old 07-18-21, 11:16 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
For anyone who might do more than a few rivnuts-

Cheap kits at Summit Racing, or Eastwood. I found Eastwood had the cheap prices for rivnuts in quantity. I bought packages for 5 and 6mm.

-SP