Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Carbon gravel bikes with rack mounts and 20 KG carrying capacity

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 01-28-20, 03:58 PM
sweetspot

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

It is said that carbon bikes are not good for the rear rack but I have found Willier Jena, Jamis Renegade, Bombtrack Hook EXT-C, Fuji Jari Carbon, Specialized Diverge, Norco Search and Tifosi Cavazzo bikes that are, at least in theory, capable of carrying even 20 kg on the rack. Do you know more carbon gravel bikes like that? And what do you think in general about carbon + rear rack?

Last edited by sweetspot; 01-28-20 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-28-20, 06:35 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by sweetspot
It is said that carbon bikes are not good for the rear rack but I have found Willier Jena, Jamis Renegade, Bombtrack Hook EXT-C, Fuji Jari Carbon, Specialized Diverge, Norco Search and Tifosi Cavazzo bikes that are, at least in theory, capable of carrying even 20 kg on the rack. Do you know more carbon gravel bikes like that? And what do you think in general about carbon + rear rack?
Niner RLT RDO

Norco Search XR
Old 01-29-20, 01:04 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
No point saving 500g on the frame weight when you are carrying 20kg on the rack
Likes For Elvo:
Old 01-29-20, 03:31 PM
sweetspot

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
No point saving 500g on the frame weight when you are carrying 20kg on the rack
Yes, but I am not after the weight savings but after better power transfer. And I do not plan to carry 20 kg all the time, usually it will not be the case.
Old 01-30-20, 08:49 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
Carbon is the ideal material for this purpose if designed properly. If a reputable manufacturer says it can hold a rack then I would not hesitate to add a rack and load the MF up.

The first bike that came to my mind was the trek 1120, which is not a gravel bike but an off-road touring/adventure bike, but with a carbon frame and racks designed for that frame. Totally not what you were looking for but I think it's cool.

https://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en_CA/b.../1120/p/22005/
Old 01-30-20, 09:03 AM
balrog687

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
check this link

https://www.cyclingabout.com/carbon-touring-bikes/
Old 01-30-20, 12:08 PM
sweetspot

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Carbon is the ideal material for this purpose if designed properly. If a reputable manufacturer says it can hold a rack then I would not hesitate to add a rack and load the MF up.

The first bike that came to my mind was the trek 1120, which is not a gravel bike but an off-road touring/adventure bike, but with a carbon frame and racks designed for that frame. Totally not what you were looking for but I think it's cool.

the question is: would you use the rack on a carbon bike to mount a child seat and carry a child there? Becase this is what I am thinking about and trying to decide between carbon and titanium for that purpose.

Originally Posted by balrog687
cool, thank you very much!
Old 02-01-20, 09:02 AM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Salsa Cutthroat has rack mounts but you need to use a seat collar with mounts for the upper attachment.
Likes For wsteve464:
Old 02-03-20, 08:35 AM
MAGAIVER

Bikes: Kona Unit, Kona Kahuna, Kona Dew DL, Scott Big Jon, Trek Checkpoint ALR4, KHS Urban Soul, Haro Team Issue, GT Force Expert Carbon, Bernardi Quadra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier

The 1120 is not a carbon frame, it's Trek's Alpha Platinum Aluminum.
Old 02-03-20, 08:38 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by MAGAIVER
The 1120 is not a carbon frame, it's Trek's Alpha Platinum Aluminum.
Oops!
Old 02-03-20, 10:31 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Salsa Warbird, Jamis Renegade.
Old 02-04-20, 09:15 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
I probably put 1000 miles a year on the Burley with my kids. Do that. Safer and more fun for the kids. Easier transition for the bike
Old 02-05-20, 10:54 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Trail Donkey comes right to mind:

https://www.rodeo-labs.com/td3/
Old 02-09-20, 06:59 PM
chief9245

Bikes: 2017 Argon 18 Krypton Xroad, 2017 Bombtrack Arise 2, 2018 Bombtrack Hook EXT-C

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 37 Posts

Bombtrack Hook EXT-C with the Tailfin pannier rack system. Did the Great Alleghany passage, both ways, with them on along with fork bags from Apidura and feed bags from Apidura. Didin't even notice them there. The EXT-C is the swiss army bike of bikes. Tailfins system comes off and go.es on in less than 30 seconds. Pricey, but well worth it. Each bag holds 20L.
Old 02-12-20, 09:12 PM
TrackSmart

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Fascinating!

Originally Posted by chief9245
Bombtrack Hook EXT-C with the Tailfin pannier rack system. Did the Great Alleghany passage, both ways, with them on along with fork bags from Apidura and feed bags from Apidura. Didin't even notice them there. The EXT-C is the swiss army bike of bikes. Tailfins system comes off and go.es on in less than 30 seconds. Pricey, but well worth it. Each bag holds 20L.
Fascinating! I *really* like the idea of a quick-release rear rack (and some matching quick-release full-coverage fenders that don't stink -- if such things exist). But the price of the Tailfin system is pretty steep give the rack and specific-designed bags combined. Especially when you already own a high quality rack + bags. Plus there is the extra complication of full-coverage fenders, which in my case, are partly attached to mounting points on my rack.

It sounds like you did your homework before buying the Tailfin system. In your research, did you find any quick-release hardware that can be adapted to existing conventional rack designs? And fenders, too, for the holy grail? I'm guessing the answer is 'no', but who knows... Clearly there are plenty of products out there I have not heard about.
Old 02-14-20, 10:52 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Nice setup! The Bombtrack EXT-C is in there with great choices like Jamis Renegade and the new Salsa Warbird. You can demo all 3 at one shop near Pittsburgh.
Old 02-15-20, 05:52 AM
chief9245

Bikes: 2017 Argon 18 Krypton Xroad, 2017 Bombtrack Arise 2, 2018 Bombtrack Hook EXT-C

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by TrackSmart
Fascinating! I *really* like the idea of a quick-release rear rack (and some matching quick-release full-coverage fenders that don't stink -- if such things exist). But the price of the Tailfin system is pretty steep give the rack and specific-designed bags combined. Especially when you already own a high quality rack + bags. Plus there is the extra complication of full-coverage fenders, which in my case, are partly attached to mounting points on my rack.

It sounds like you did your homework before buying the Tailfin system. In your research, did you find any quick-release hardware that can be adapted to existing conventional rack designs? And fenders, too, for the holy grail? I'm guessing the answer is 'no', but who knows... Clearly there are plenty of products out there I have not heard about.
So the great thing with the Tailfin system is if you already own panniers, you can get an adapter through them that allows you to use them. I'm not sure about any other designs that offer quick release for rack systems. I know the Tailfin system was something that worked perfect for me, the rack system on and off in 30 seconds and less than 15 seconds for the panniers to come on and off. And if you want to keep the rack system on, it looks fantastic, with the carbon fiber and graceful lines. I've put hundreds of miles on the system and not ever a rattle or an issue. Like I said, it's pricey but I don't have an issue paying for quality and paying just once. The system comes with a fender also, not a full coverage one but enough to keep you dry, as for the front I have nothing yet but I'll keep looking.
As for the Hook EXT-C - all I can say is wow. want to run 650b's with a 2.1" WTB Nano to rip through the trails? Do it. Want to run 700c's and get some street miles in? Go for it. I've done 80 mile road rides no problem and 600 mile off road adventures loaded with 60 pounds of gear and this thing just takes it. I've never been happier with a bike purchase, this is definitely an N+1 killer.
Old 02-15-20, 03:30 PM
TrackSmart

Thanks for your impressions on both the frameset and the rack system. It wasn't clear that they had adapters for other panniers. Good to know!
Old 02-16-20, 05:57 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Salsa Warbird, Jamis Renegade.
I have a Jamis Renegade Expert, and it has attachment points for a rear rack. Starting an attempt on the GDMBR, south to north a few years ago, I overloaded my rear rack panniers (far less than 20kg). The rack attachment bushings pulled out of the seat stays on the first day. I epoxied them back into place. When I hit the hills north of Silver City, the front shimmied down every grade. I turned around. Wrong bike.
Old 02-20-20, 02:51 PM
TrackSmart

Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I have a Jamis Renegade Expert, and it has attachment points for a rear rack. Starting an attempt on the GDMBR, south to north a few years ago, I overloaded my rear rack panniers (far less than 20kg). The rack attachment bushings pulled out of the seat stays on the first day. I epoxied them back into place. When I hit the hills north of Silver City, the front shimmied down every grade. I turned around. Wrong bike.
Thanks for the word of warning. In *theory* rackmounts on a carbon bike could be quite sturdy. Do you have a sense of whether your situation was unusual? And have you heard about this happening on other carbon bikes with racks (more-so than any other bike -- aluminum or steel - with rack mounting points would suffer from this problem)? Clearly there are lots of carbon bikes being designed to take racks. Here's a list of 50 such models (dated from 2018) on the web: https://www.cyclingabout.com/carbon-touring-bikes/
Old 02-20-20, 04:31 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by TrackSmart
Thanks for the word of warning. In *theory* rackmounts on a carbon bike could be quite sturdy. Do you have a sense of whether your situation was unusual? And have you heard about this happening on other carbon bikes with racks (more-so than any other bike -- aluminum or steel - with rack mounting points would suffer from this problem)? Clearly there are lots of carbon bikes being designed to take racks. Here's a list of 50 such models (dated from 2018) on the web: https://www.cyclingabout.com/carbon-touring-bikes/
No, I don't have a sense of anything about racks/carbon bikes. I was surprised that the small threaded bushings glued into the seat stays were only 5mm long, but the bike was only rated for "light touring", after all. Still, the front end shimmy was very disconcerting, which is why my next bike was a 29plus rigid, fully capable bikepacking bike. But it sucks on pavement, leaving me looking for one more that can do both. Maybe the Cutthroat?
edit: I successfully rode a tour with the same bike, bikepacking bags and an ExtraWheel trailer, and it handled just fine with the trailer carrying the heavier stuff, food and water.

Last edited by DeadGrandpa; 02-20-20 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-20-20, 10:22 PM
gravelslider

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I believe the Renegade is rated max 25 lbs front, 25 lbs rear. Near 20 kg on the back may have been a bit much. Regardless, that was a quick failure. Did they cover it under warranty? The GDMBR is probably a little much for a loaded tour on any gravel bike if you are carrying a camping load. The Salsa Cutthroat or Fargo is the bike better made for that.

When mounting racks I normally run bolts with a low profile head from inside the frame to the outside and put the rack on the outside of that and secure it with a washer and a nylock nut from the outside. That can never strip out that way, and even if it does it could still not fail unless the bolt were to completely shear off.

Sometimes a little weight on a front rack can change the dynamics just enough to start (or stop) a shimmy. Or a different tire or a little more pressure on the headset bearing can make a difference.
Old 02-20-20, 10:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10899 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Weehoo. Allows the kid to participate, is very safe with 5pt harness and foot retention, and is more interactive between parent and kid.

Power transfer is the goal for frame material with a kind perched atop a rack?
seems...different, but interested to see what solution you find!
Old 02-24-20, 04:50 PM
Matadors

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
Framed Gravier: Full carbon fully loaded

Old 02-25-20, 09:22 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Originally Posted by Matadors
Framed Gravier: Full carbon fully loaded
what is holding up that front bag?

This is the way to go on full carbon bikepacking. Some carbon forks will take a front rack though

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.