Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Old 01-10-21, 02:40 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts
It has been rainy of late.
Old 01-10-21, 08:45 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by tilsover
Some days are warmer than others. Some days are windier than others. Some days gravity is stronger than others.
So true-- wind at the back is best but it's all good...
Old 01-10-21, 09:04 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Being the oldest family member locally, always makes me feel ancient as we approach the New Year...

Am i alone in this unsolicited, benevolent senior treatment?
​​​​​​
My branch of the family is all gone, me in my young '70s but, my cousin and his wife are nearing mid-80s and their folks like my folks lived to be in their late '80s or early '90s (my aunt lived to be over a hundred) so... I'm sort of in a no man's land as far as age and activity goes... even among friends I grew up riding bikes with who no longer do but, it's a sport I like (even with a hip growing a bit problematical) and there's plenty more who share my interest, even if it's just watching the tour de France on TV ...
Likes For McBTC:
Old 01-11-21, 12:13 PM
Merrimac

Bikes: Road, carbon, 32mm tires

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
Even at 71, I wasn't sure I really belonged here until yesterday when I hit the ground just getting on my bike. No one saw it even though it seemed like ~5 min. to get my ass off the ground. Definitely earned a shot of bottled in bond bourbon for that one...
Been there, done that—getting off, when I was using clipless shoes for the first time. My wife and daughter witnessed the fall as my bike came to a stop in the driveway.

I'm 74, had a knee replacement a year ago, ride only 1,000 miles a year, mostly one-hour outings from my house. But it keeps me healthy and happy. When I start getting a little irritable my wife asks if it is time for me to go out on my bike for a while. When I come back, all is well.

The Merrimack River near my home in Massachusetts, late November.
Old 01-11-21, 05:42 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by Merrimac
Been there, done that—getting off, when I was using clipless shoes for the first time. My wife and daughter witnessed the fall as my bike came to a stop in the driveway.

I'm 74, had a knee replacement a year ago, ride only 1,000 miles a year, mostly one-hour outings from my house. But it keeps me healthy and happy. When I start getting a little irritable my wife asks if it is time for me to go out on my bike for a while. When I come back, all is well.

The Merrimack River near my home in Massachusetts, late November.
Same plus a revision for me - also right knee... didn't think about it on a yearly basis but similar... ~1,500 mi a year (out every 3 days).
Likes For McBTC:
Old 01-19-21, 12:04 PM
mellowyellow

Bikes: 2 old bikes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Dont mention it....

Originally Posted by McBTC
​​​​​​
My branch of the family is all gone, me in my young '70s but, my cousin and his wife are nearing mid-80s and their folks like my folks lived to be in their late '80s or early '90s (my aunt lived to be over a hundred) so... I'm sort of in a no man's land as far as age and activity goes... even among friends I grew up riding bikes with who no longer do but, it's a sport I like (even with a hip growing a bit problematical) and there's plenty more who share my interest, even if it's just watching the tour de France on TV ...
Very strange culture differences with regard to age
I *never ever* talked about age until obliged to discuss my age after cops were called out to inspect me, by a supposedly, not genuinely, anxious person who knows very little about me, and they broke into my home.

I was away on business, at the time.
Im fit enough to ride an ordinary lightweight road bike, but prefer my e-bike for over 20 kms trips.
No one had ever said anything about *best behaviour* for seniors until that unnecessary and annoying intrusion.
*Since then*, suddenly
being 79, is considered a fragile state that needs surveillance and supervision.

Which In my own case, would be absolutely unnecessary, and I will not approve, or tolerate it.

I realized how different cultures think of, and treat those citizens considered 'elderly'. In asian countries, physical fitness is counted a social responsibility. Sports of all kinds for the most senior, supported, funded, encouraged.
Thats how I feel
Yes, more care may well be necessary.
But there must be no coercion, no obligation to accept any unwanted attention. Just because of a *number!*
My ebike is my best way to travel. Any more stress for being designated *elderly*, it could be top way. towing a small trailer, to escape! .

Hit the road Jack,
i wont be
Comin back, no more! no more! no more! No more!

Last edited by mellowyellow; 01-19-21 at 01:18 PM.
Likes For mellowyellow:
Old 01-19-21, 03:59 PM
tilsover

Bikes: 2019 KHS 1000; 1990 (or so) Trek 930

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 28 Posts
I've never been this age before so I'm not sure how it's supposed to be, but I'm still pedaling under my own power. Friends have asked me about E Bikes but I know nothing about them. If and when the time comes I will certainly explore that option. I seldom ride on pavement and enjoy being surrounded with off-road trails. Of course I'm not what you'd call a shredder. My style of riding is more "I've got brakes and I'm not afraid to use them!" Grateful for the years I've had and hopeful for many more. Good riding.
Likes For tilsover:
Old 01-19-21, 06:17 PM
decotriumph 

Bikes: 2022 Trek Marlin 7, 2016 Trek FX 7.4, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1955 Indian Scout (Phillips)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 15 Posts
For some reason, I just now noticed this thread, probably because it is a "sticky" and I almost never look at those. Anyway, I'm 70 and have only been riding for about 7 years this time around. I rode when I was a kid, of course, and even ran a 14-mile paper route on a heavy old J.C. Higgins Flightliner back then. Broke the frame on that one twice; also broke a late '60s Huffy. In the late '70s, I bought a nice new Nishiki 10-speed with the plans of riding it to work at GM. Thought I was going to get run over! That turned out to not be a good idea in that traffic!

Back to now, I laid off riding last year because my wife/riding partner was having some irritating health issues and wasn't comfortable riding anymore. In the process, I gained back about 10 pounds I had lost a couple years before and I missed the riding. I love riding and I love bicycles. I collect/buy/sell old bikes, too. Before last year, I was doing pretty well, averaging around 10-12 miles a day. On my 67th birthday, I had a goal of riding 37 miles. I did 42. Then the next year, I developed a-fib, so that slowed me down some. I'll be on blood thinners the rest of my life, but thankfully the ol' heart is staying in rhythm and I feel good. As soon as the weather warms up just a tad more, I'm ready to get back at it.

Likes For decotriumph:
Old 01-25-21, 06:51 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Originally Posted by mellowyellow
Very strange culture differences with regard to age
I *never ever* talked about age until obliged to discuss my age after cops were called out to inspect me, by a supposedly, not genuinely, anxious person who knows very little about me, and they broke into my home.

I was away on business, at the time.
Im fit enough to ride an ordinary lightweight road bike, but prefer my e-bike for over 20 kms trips.
No one had ever said anything about *best behaviour* for seniors until that unnecessary and annoying intrusion.
*Since then*, suddenly
being 79, is considered a fragile state that needs surveillance and supervision.

Which In my own case, would be absolutely unnecessary, and I will not approve, or tolerate it.

I realized how different cultures think of, and treat those citizens considered 'elderly'. In asian countries, physical fitness is counted a social responsibility. Sports of all kinds for the most senior, supported, funded, encouraged.
Thats how I feel
Yes, more care may well be necessary.
But there must be no coercion, no obligation to accept any unwanted attention. Just because of a *number!*
My ebike is my best way to travel. Any more stress for being designated *elderly*, it could be top way. towing a small trailer, to escape! .

Hit the road Jack,
i wont be
Comin back, no more! no more! no more! No more!
IME, it takes a lot to draw the attention of those charged with the elderly and/or of diminished capacity. You might take that as a heads up and have a good chat with your doc.
Old 01-27-21, 08:25 AM
justrhines

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Howdy All,

Avid mountain biker and bike commuter here. Also a researcher at a Purdue University, leading a team studying bicycle developments for improved ergonomics, comfort, and safety. Specifically, we're working for a customer on a bike design that will ultimately increase safety and comfort, especially as we get a little less limber... This is near and dear to me as well, having taken a couple of (preventable) spills over the years.

I'd really appreciate if I could take 20 seconds of your time to see what kind of bikes everyone here rides (recumbent, normal upright, etc), as well as a few other quick questions regarding your experiences and discomforts with biking! Here is the link to the Google Survey:

https://forms.gle/9VPadt6jnAshvHAi8

If you're curious, I'd be happy to share a little more about this project, and the product underway. As a cyclist I'm very excited about this, and I think you will be too.

Cheers!
Justin

Likes For justrhines:
Old 01-27-21, 11:37 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
Being the oldest family member locally, always makes me feel ancient as we approach the New Year.
observational, not a rant.

My wife always encourages me to sit near the fireplace.
My son calls my Christmas tradition of collared shirt and seasonal tie (changed each year) "old fashioned", and 'almost pre-historic'.
Calmly raking the last fallen leaves from the front yard, a neighbor called out, "Don't have a heart attack working so hard".
My son-in-law announced (today) a new resolution - for the coming year, they would keep one of my bikes at their house, so i would not have to ride the 18 miles (to their home) so often.
Older siblings back East&South with health problems, regularly commenting to my wife all the issues i will be facing soon. And all the medical tests i should be getting.
It's time to sell the heavy, double+kid kayak. But it has such memories, I don't want to let it go. Elkhorn Slough, Monterey Bay was over 2 decades ago.
I don't want wireless earbuds when just hanging out at home.
Commenting on winter-ish yardwork, my daughter replies, 'A good way for you to get outdoors and spend your idle time'
Being told 'You should take a nap more often'.

Maybe I've gotten too sensitive?
I don't offer the same old retorts anymore, they're worn clichés and no longer funny.

Am i alone in this unsolicited, benevolent senior treatment?
Stuart, all you need to do is invite those pesky but thoughtful relatives and neighbors to join us at Cino one year.
Old 01-27-21, 07:58 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Stuart, all you need to do is invite those pesky but thoughtful relatives and neighbors to join us at Cino one year.
Are you a 1st Time 65+ thread contributor?

Haha. Not only Cino. Even a 25miler.

We mostly exaggerate over here.
You should see my pills and ills posts.
Old 01-27-21, 09:08 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
Are you a 1st Time 65+ thread contributor?.
Guilty as charged. Approaching 70 at full speed but not previously aware of this thread.
Old 02-05-21, 09:42 AM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Me, 72 in a few weeks. This was last October on the parkway. I ride selected sections of the parkway for 4-5 weeks every year. Living in Fl it is hard to train for climbing but if you have the gearing and the state of mind it is pretty easy as long as you don't mind being passed buy locals even older than you.
Climbing up the spur road up to Mt Mitchell two years ago I was passed by a butterfly, really! I took a video of it to send my wife.

My favorite sections are the Cherokee to Mt Pisgah, and the climb from Town Mountain Road (Bull Gap) parking lot up to Craggy Gardens and then on to Mt Mitchell (if it is a feel good day) The ride back down from Craggy is very sweet. I'm a slow down at 30 mph guy, the locals are pass motorcycles kind of riders.

That is my new to me Domane Disc w/Di2 . It's geared to climb and the Hydro brakes are so good on the long downhills

Old 02-06-21, 07:01 PM
decotriumph 

Bikes: 2022 Trek Marlin 7, 2016 Trek FX 7.4, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1955 Indian Scout (Phillips)

New Mountain Bike at 70!

I'm 70 and I picked up one of these today - 2021 Kona Lava Dome - from Trailhead Bicycles in Huntsville, AL. It's a really cool little shop, by the way, a "destination" style of shop in an old mill's office space, I believe. I love little local enthusiast-owned shops like that. New bike inventory is getting scarce; this was the last XL of anything they had in stock. If I'd been 20 minutes later, I would have left empty-handed (or technically, empty-racked) because another customer came in looking for one. I called three dealers yesterday looking for a sub-$1500 XL MTB before I located this one. One of the dealers I called also called his company's two other locations. Nothing, and both Trek and Specialized dealers are saying some models are back-ordered to May of 2022!

Anyway, I had a couple of MTBs in the past but sold the last one because I thought I was getting too old/wimpy/whatever to ride a MTB. Turns out I had a heart issue. That has been repaired and I'm feeling good, so here I go again! The Lava Dome will give me a good platform to upgrade on if I decide to do so.

Likes For decotriumph:
Old 02-06-21, 08:27 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

That is a sub 1500 bike? Looks pretty freakin awesome for the price . Is that 12 speed?

I love the new design Hardtails, I have a Scott Scale 710 ,1x 11 , 27.5 + tires on boost rims, very sure footed feeling, that was $1500 used, and pretty well used at that.

Looks like you got a good deal to me.
Old 02-07-21, 07:31 PM
decotriumph 

Originally Posted by bykemike
That is a sub 1500 bike? Looks pretty freakin awesome for the price . Is that 12 speed?

I love the new design Hardtails, I have a Scott Scale 710 ,1x 11 , 27.5 + tires on boost rims, very sure footed feeling, that was $1500 used, and pretty well used at that.

Looks like you got a good deal to me.
Yes, it's $799 retail.

Old 02-16-21, 10:53 PM
McBTC

Crisp 14 mph headwind on the return last Friday... doesn't bother me-- I know what to expect-- it's my usual ride, but-- I do love and appreciate the occasional tailwind on the return leg...
Likes For McBTC:
Old 02-20-21, 07:05 AM
bykemike 

Tailwind on return = Happy Place
Old 02-21-21, 08:14 AM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
Well - As of last Friday I am now officially a part of this exclusive club. It's hard to imagine still...
Likes For timgriffin2:
Old 02-21-21, 03:02 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by timgriffin2
Well - As of last Friday I am now officially a part of this exclusive club. It's hard to imagine still...
...then-- there's the subset of the club that's even leaner: those who share a cigar and glass of bourbon after a Sunday bike ride which for me today I think will be, an H. Upmann and Old Forester.
Old 02-22-21, 07:59 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Above freezing in Central Indiana today and the roads are free of ice/snow so out for first ride in 9 days. Its been gawdawful cold of late and most snowfall in several years last week.
I was able to outrun a coyote, today! A two dimensional, steel coyote!

Old 02-24-21, 06:08 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
72 and my knees are giving me some issues. I have a gravel bike and a hybrid that I ride depending on how my back and legs feel. I ride about 10 - 12 miles at a time with a 15-mile ride once in a while. My knees are my limiting issue and I do not recover like I once did. Hope I can ride for many more years and I will certainly consider an e-bike if the need arises.
Be safe all.

Likes For Helderberg:
Old 02-26-21, 09:27 PM
Restrec

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about level of sexual activity?

Originally Posted by The Weak Link
I see your point.

IF:
-you don't smoke,
-keep your weight at least a little in check,
-stay away from excessive mind-altering substances,
-don't smoke,
-have a decent genetic heritage,
-have a little disposable income,
-appreciate what you have instead of whining about what others have and you don't,
-have a sense of humor, and
-don't smoke,

then 50 is the new 30. That would make 65 the new 50.

So it's all good.
I have had to reduce my sexual activity substantially in order to be bike efficient Any suggestions. ?
Old 02-27-21, 08:56 AM
McBTC

Originally Posted by Restrec
I have had to reduce my sexual activity substantially in order to be bike efficient Any suggestions. ?
Start smoking? If so, studies show 1 to 2 cigars a day are not correlated with early demise and, if you want to live to be 105 you should have a couple of gin-soaked raisins everyday. Seems to me, a bottle of red wine helps an arthritic left hip and, concerning sexual activity - try tilting your saddle down a bit more to prevent perineal injury.

Last edited by McBTC; 02-27-21 at 09:07 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.