Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo vs Origin8

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Campagnolo vs Origin8

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-21, 02:42 PM
mrmb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Campagnolo vs Origin8

Which is better and why?
Old 04-15-21, 03:20 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
When is the last time you saw an Origin8 tattoo on someone?
Old 04-15-21, 03:57 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
I think for most people it's pretty hard to tell the difference, but tbh neither is as good as Retrospec.
Likes For j_e_r_e_m_y:
Old 04-15-21, 04:42 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
popcorn dot gif
Old 04-15-21, 05:13 PM
mrmb

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Well, origin8 sells a copy of a campagnolo chainring.

Is it likely to be inferior to the real deal?

Old 04-15-21, 05:16 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Are you trolling us ?

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 04-15-21, 05:20 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Camp is overrated, nothing wrong with Origin8. Also, tattoo free is better.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 04-15-21, 07:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
This is a joke, correct? We aren't really arguing Campy vs. Orgin8? We get some weird threads around here.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-16-21, 01:05 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Better value or better quality? Better looks or better selection? A little content might help. A lot will be based on your preference and needs/useage.
Old 04-16-21, 03:43 PM
tough_boots

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Is this like a Tom Waits vs Dave Matthews kinda thing?
Likes For tough_boots:
Old 04-16-21, 04:16 PM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Well, I'm not much of an equipment geek, which is one of the reasons I appreciate the simplicity of the fixed gear, but I've heard of Campagnolo...

My first thought was, "I wonder if Campagnolo do a copy of any Origin8 products?" and I think we can guess the answer to that one.

But then I thought, no, let's look up Origin8, and I was amazed by what I found.

Do you know, you can buy straight bars in preference to drops and then — wait for it — get some Origin8 dropped bar ends to convert the straights into slightly less comfortable drops?

Perhaps I'm missing something.

My serious answer: for single speed/fixed, there's not much to go wrong with a chain ring. Compare weights, if that's your thing, and check it's the right width, BCD, and number of teeth and that the price seems fair. It's a consumable, not a forever choice anyway.

A genius idea, yesterday:
Likes For Mikefule:
Old 04-16-21, 04:48 PM
tough_boots

Originally Posted by Mikefule

My serious answer: for single speed/fixed, there's not much to go wrong with a chain ring. Compare weights, if that's your thing, and check it's the right width, BCD, and number of teeth and that the price seems fair.
I think there's some other quality issues as well. There are definitely manufacturers known for not making the most consistently round chainrings.
Likes For tough_boots:
Old 04-16-21, 11:59 PM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by tough_boots
I think there's some other quality issues as well. There are definitely manufacturers known for not making the most consistently round chainrings.
Fair point. I have never personally experienced that. However, I admit to delaying the purchase of a new sprocket because I got bewildered by the competing claims for circularity or otherwise.
Old 04-17-21, 11:58 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Is this like a Tom Waits vs Dave Matthews kinda thing?
I think it is Tom Waits vs. Wing type of thing. Dave Matthews actually has good musicians behind him.You can say what you want about the fans or the lyrics but he actually has fantastic musicians in the band and has done quite well for himself and the band.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-17-21, 07:09 PM
tough_boots

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I think it is Tom Waits vs. Wing type of thing. Dave Matthews actually has good musicians behind him.You can say what you want about the fans or the lyrics but he actually has fantastic musicians in the band and has done quite well for himself and the band.
I bet I'd like Wing more than DMB.
Likes For tough_boots:
Old 04-17-21, 08:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I bet I'd like Wing more than DMB.
Wing is some good singing. She really has some pipes.

I do enjoy Dave Matthews Band, I won't lie I got nothing to hide, I also listen to Sleep, Magrudergrind and Atari Teenage Riot amongst a ton of other stuff. Would I see Dave Matthews Band live, probably not though a friend had the opportunity to go as they did a concert for the victims of the Charlottesville terrorist attack and they happened to be one of those victims and if they could have gone probably would have invited me to make the trip out (but they couldn't go).

I tend to give most music a shot though I don't like a lot of the pop music for the radio, including country and other similar radio crap and much of the religious music (minus metal which happens to be full of Christian metal which isn't always bad minus maybe lyrics but I don't pay them mind) . Also not a fan of Reggaeton...Reggae is good, ton is a unit of measure but together they just don't work well for me.
Old 04-18-21, 04:20 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Squirrel!
Old 04-18-21, 08:25 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
As a long time fan of the Dave Matthews Band (having seen them in concert close to 30 times from 1998-2007) I’d say they’re more of a Shimano 105 level, than an Origin8. Sure some of that is bias, but veganbikes is right, musically they are some of the better musicians around. Phish is the Ultegra, and Wilco is the Dura Ace.

That said, I’ve had a number of Origin8 products over the years and haven’t had issues. Stylistically they aren’t as wonderful looking as anything Campy makes. But my track crankset from them served me very well for 5 years before I upgraded to a Sugino. I never saw that it was out of round. I still have it in my parts box and would absolutely use it again.
Ive also had both kinds of their bullhorns and 2 quill stems. All worked extremely well for the price point. Very happy with them.

Are they as light and wonderful as Campy parts? No. But they are a good budget conscious choice.

At least they were a few years ago - having not bought parts in a while I can’t attest to their current quality control.
Likes For the sci guy:
Old 04-19-21, 06:45 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Materials used.

Campagnolo uses a higher grade of aluminum alloy. You can get away with running mild 6061 alloy rings in the larger sizes, but the smaller you go the quicker they wear (look at bmx sprockets, the only time you see 6061 alloy used is on OE spec) Especially when talking about older Campy stuff before they learned to cheapen them up a bit, their old rings wouldn't wear for thousands of miles.

I have no problem with Origin8 stuff, I have several of their parts. They're the house brand for a major bike supply distributor, J and B. Just like Surly is to QBP. Their stuff is just culled from the big Chinese bicycle shows. They see something they like and place an order for a batch of parts with their name on them. They have nothing to do with the design or production of any of their parts, they just place an order.
Old 04-19-21, 10:54 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 253 Posts
Origin8 provides a reasonable quality Taiwan-made (China too maybe?) products for a reasonable price point. Campagnolo is top of the line. There isn't much value in comparing the two because they serve different purposes. If you want Campy quality buy Campy or Dura-Ace. If you want value for the money, buy Origin8. They source their parts from commodity manufacturer's just like other branded products.

Fir instance, Maxway makes bike frames for just about everyone but nobody has heard of them.
Old 04-19-21, 02:43 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
Origin8 provides a reasonable quality Taiwan-made (China too maybe?) products for a reasonable price point. Campagnolo is top of the line. There isn't much value in comparing the two because they serve different purposes. If you want Campy quality buy Campy or Dura-Ace. If you want value for the money, buy Origin8. They source their parts from commodity manufacturer's just like other branded products.

Fir instance, Maxway makes bike frames for just about everyone but nobody has heard of them.

Wait, what?!? “If you want Campy quality...buy...Dura Ace” ?!?! That’s going too far!
Old 04-19-21, 05:01 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 253 Posts
Wait, what?!? “If you want Campy quality...buy...Dura Ace” ?!?! That’s going too far!
Oh, uh, buy BOTH! I do.......
Likes For drlogik:
Old 04-19-21, 07:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

If you want better than Campy quality, Sugino Super 75 cranks, bb and chainring, EAI Gold Medal Cogs and Izumi Super Toughness KAI chains.
Old 04-19-21, 08:39 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
If you want better than Campy quality, Sugino Super 75 cranks, bb and chainring, EAI Gold Medal Cogs and Izumi Super Toughness KAI chains.
Would agree on everything but the cranks—Campy Pista cranks are supreme—form and function.
Old 04-19-21, 08:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Sonofamechanic
Would agree on everything but the cranks—Campy Pista cranks are supreme—form and function.
Are we talking the old Super/Nuevo Record Pista or the new stuff? If you are talking old stuff than maybe if you are talking new stuff then no sorry Sugino Super 75 is just so sexy and perfect and rocketed Sir Chris Hoy to some big victories along with the rest of the GB cycling team and many other riders. It is hard to beat high polished cranks in anything. Now regular 75s are a bit more utilitarian but the Super 75 is tops. Just look at it: https://www.tracksupermarket.com/cra...ilver-584.html

Campy is fine stuff but I never really hear great things about their modern track cranks, nothing terrible but kind of the meh! treatment. I would probably still run them if I had an Italian bike but beyond that I would rather have a set of Super 75 Direct Drives with that sexy super zen chainring just glimmering and glistening with the S3 treatment watching all the people at the shop drool and see their eyes bulge out of their heads while going 'aaaooogah" like in the cartoons.
Likes For veganbikes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.