Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

A new Di2 user needs help

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-21, 03:28 PM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts

I recently had my bike updated with Ultegra Di2 and, so, far, I am very happy with it. I also have a EW-WU111 (D-Fly) wireless unit installed, but do not yet know what role it can play and what functionality it provides for the Di2 system.

I have linked the Di2 system to my Garmin Edge 1030 Plus by adding it to the 1030 Plus as a sensor. The 1030 Plus screen that was set up when I linked Di2 to it currently displays 3 pieces of info - 1) Gear ratio 2) Di2 battery level and 3) gear combo currently being used. I saw that there are a number of other data fields that I can display on that Di2-related screen on my 1030 Plus, and will play around until I find the data fields displayed that interest me the most.

Since this Di-2 related screen can display a lot info about my Di2 system and can also change the mode of Di2, I a wondering what other functionality I can get with the EW-WU111 wireless unit and what role Shimano's E-Tube Project app plays in all of this.

I have also read that the buttons on each of the hoods can also provide Di2 functionality thru the E-Tube app(?), but I am unsure what the actual functionality is. Can some experienced Di2 users help me along with this also?

Are there any YouTube videos recommended that can help educate a Di2 newbie?
Likes For oldwinger14:
Old 05-07-21, 03:41 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,804 Times in 3,314 Posts
This site has been helpful to me..... https://bettershifting.com/

It also has a bunch of links to useful Shimano material on Di2 also.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-07-21, 03:55 PM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Originally Posted by Iride01
This site has been helpful to me..... https://bettershifting.com/

It also has a bunch of links to useful Shimano material on Di2 also.
I had seen their Di2 for Dummies paper a month or two ago, and found it very helpful. I was unaware that they have written other docs, many of them look like they will be of great help. Thanks for bringing their website to my attention!
Old 05-07-21, 04:39 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Your 2nd paragraph answered your first paragraph.

In truth and having the same setup and GPS, I pretty much never access my Di2 system via BT or cable, other than looking at system battery status or having the gear combo displayed. I've never upgraded my Di2 system in the 3 years I've had it. It works, so I don't fix it and I do not trust Shimano to not automatically introduce some feature they think I need. The system shifts great and has always shifted great and thus I leave it alone, basically.
Old 05-07-21, 04:55 PM
oldwinger14

You mean companies, like Shimano or Apple that have a stranglehold on a technology niche, would force feed us with new technology that we don't need? Nah....they would never do that! 😁
Old 05-07-21, 06:10 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by oldwinger14
You mean companies, like Shimano or Apple that have a stranglehold on a technology niche, would force feed us with new technology that we don't need? Nah....they would never do that! 😁
When I installed Di2 I was pissed that Shimano locks out crank and cassette options to only those currently sold. I was using an apparently obsolete 11-23 cassette and found out I could not tell the system that was what was on the bike. It's a minor issue as you can use any crank and cassette you like, and the system will still mostly shift, but I was linked to a Di2 system that meant it would not correctly display. My attitude with Shimano was FU.
Old 05-07-21, 06:19 PM
oldwinger14

Originally Posted by Steve B.
When I installed Di2 I was pissed that Shimano locks out crank and cassette options to only those currently sold. I was using an apparently obsolete 11-23 cassette and found out I could not tell the system that was what was on the bike. It's a minor issue as you can use any crank and cassette you like, and the system will still mostly shift, but I was linked to a Di2 system that meant it would not correctly display. My attitude with Shimano was FU.
In many ways what you're saying sounds like many people's experiences with Apple. If all of your equipment is Apple, everything works without any hitches whatsoever. However integrating a product for any other manufacturer can sometimes be arduous at best.
Old 05-08-21, 08:14 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,804 Times in 3,314 Posts
Everyone likes what they got used too. Takes a while for some to warm up to the new stuff, or frequently the new way of doing the same stuff.
Old 05-08-21, 11:46 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 778 Posts
With the wireless unit and E-tube app, you can configure your system the way you want. For instance, I have my hood buttons programmed to scroll the screens on my Garmin 830. You can also program the shifting mode, and adjust the gears if needed.
Google "How to get the most out of your Shimano Di2 groupset". Very helpful.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 05-09-21, 07:03 AM
oldwinger14

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
With the wireless unit and E-tube app, you can configure your system the way you want. For instance, I have my hood buttons programmed to scroll the screens on my Garmin 830. You can also program the shifting mode, and adjust the gears if needed.
Google "How to get the most out of your Shimano Di2 groupset". Very helpful.
I took a quick look at the article that you mentioned. It looked very interesting and I will read it in more detail later. Thx!
Likes For oldwinger14: