Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano Di2 Setup question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-20, 03:26 AM
PedalOC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm planning to remake my TT bike with Shimano Di2 electrical gearing. It'll be a 1x setup (no front derailleur). The plan is to put the Junction A EW-RS910 into the aerobar extension, and also the battery in the same extension. No junction B is planned. The RS910 has only two ports, so I have to use a JC130 Y cable. The question is: can I use the JC130 Y-cable to connect the battery in one of the cable and the right shifter in the other? I'll only use the right shifter since it's a 1x. Then a SD50 normal cable will go from the other port in the RS910 to the rear shifter.

PedalOC
Old 11-04-20, 11:00 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
1st - the RS910 I believe is much larger than most aerobars will accept. Same goes for the battery. You'd have to check actual measurements and fitment to be sure though. Theoretically ... 1 wire - Y - between battery and A junction...then the other end of the Y connected to a Di-Fly to use as a a coupler. Then a long wire to your derailleur.

BUT..... I can't tell you for sure it won't work but I highly doubt it will. The wire lengths needed and the physical space to put in what you want to put in... but yes, theoretically Di2 can run without a front derailleur and without a Junction B. You might find using a Junction B will make it easier though.

This is a fun intellectual exercise but as a design it kind of stinks. If you're doing it to save money and will be devastated if it doesn't work and you don't want to buy the needed parts then.... find someone who can wire it up with spares and show it works first.

Wiring aside - I really don't think you can fit everything in that you want to and make the wires that are there work. Physically.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 11-04-20, 11:38 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Wire it up on a table first to verify it works, but it ought to. The battery is as pointed out probably impossible to fit in any handlebar, but it and the RS910 could be located on/in the bottom tube if you have a port or opening. You can string together multiple wires to the desired length; there's a cable-to-cable joint, forget the part number, but there's usually one at the front of the bike to allow disconnecting the handlebars. You can have any number of those, it's just a simple double connector.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 11-05-20, 03:00 AM
PedalOC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
1st - the RS910 I believe is much larger than most aerobars will accept. Same goes for the battery. You'd have to check actual measurements and fitment to be sure though. Theoretically ... 1 wire - Y - between battery and A junction...then the other end of the Y connected to a Di-Fly to use as a a coupler. Then a long wire to your derailleur.

BUT..... I can't tell you for sure it won't work but I highly doubt it will. The wire lengths needed and the physical space to put in what you want to put in... but yes, theoretically Di2 can run without a front derailleur and without a Junction B. You might find using a Junction B will make it easier though.

This is a fun intellectual exercise but as a design it kind of stinks. If you're doing it to save money and will be devastated if it doesn't work and you don't want to buy the needed parts then.... find someone who can wire it up with spares and show it works first.

Wiring aside - I really don't think you can fit everything in that you want to and make the wires that are there work. Physically.
The reason for the simplistic wiring is that I want as little as possible hanging out in the wind, this being an older TT bike from the pre-electrical gearing era. If the battery and the Junction A will fit in there remains to be seen, but from how I understood you you think the wiring itself will make the system work?
Old 11-05-20, 05:46 AM
PedalOC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
Wire it up on a table first to verify it works, but it ought to. The battery is as pointed out probably impossible to fit in any handlebar, but it and the RS910 could be located on/in the bottom tube if you have a port or opening. You can string together multiple wires to the desired length; there's a cable-to-cable joint, forget the part number, but there's usually one at the front of the bike to allow disconnecting the handlebars. You can have any number of those, it's just a simple double connector.
Thanks for the advice!