Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

DI2 9070 Shifting issues

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

DI2 9070 Shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-21, 10:16 AM
octopus magic
Mmm cats

Bikes: Fuji Track Pro, Cinelli Strato Faster, Superb Sprint, Fuji Cross RC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
DI2 9070 Shifting issues

I recently built up a "new to me" demo frame with Shimano 9070, and I've been having one issue with the RD, in of the fact that I can't shift into the 11 while in the 53 (so it's not the default Shimano Small/Small issue). I've completely backed off the H limit screw and it still won't go down to the 11.

My thoughts are as follows:

1) The rear derailleur is bent somehow (I did buy it used).
2) The hanger is bent/misaligned (Frame was a demo frame buildup)
3) The B screw needs adjustment as it's a different frame than the one it was taken off?

The FD is new and in good adjustment, the chain is new, the cassette is new and properly installed.

Given the COVID situation, I'd rather not go to a shop, so is there anything else I can check before writing off the next few months of not having an 11 and then taking it to a shop? The bike shifts well otherwise. I've ordered a new hanger and will give that a shot just in case the frame was banged around in the shop/transit before brining it somewhere, but otherwise I feel like I don't need to dump more money into a new RD?
Old 01-19-21, 11:10 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
2x front? If so, sight between the two chainrings and see where on the cassette it appears to hit. Sometimes this is easier to do looking from the rear of the bike forward. If 3x then use the center ring as a reference. If this line is not hitting the middle cogs and appears to be hitting more on the low ratio side of the cassette, then your chain line is off too much. You likely just got the wrong crankset BB spindle length combo.

1) possibly but not likely, though you have to wonder why it was for sale if it was used.
2) this is very likely
3) I wouldn't think so.

Chain that is too long might be a possibility too.

I wouldn't fear going to a shop. Not as long as I can wear a mask and have minimal contact with others. I wear safety glasses too and resist any urge to rub my eyes or touch my face. But I suppose how you have to get there might be a risk.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-19-21 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-19-21, 11:33 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You say you've backed off the limit screw. Have you actually adjusted the derailleur so it will move further in that direction?
Old 01-19-21, 11:48 AM
octopus magic
Mmm cats

Bikes: Fuji Track Pro, Cinelli Strato Faster, Superb Sprint, Fuji Cross RC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
2x front? If so, sight between the two chainrings and see where on the cassette it appears to hit. Sometimes this is easier to do looking from the rear of the bike forward. If 3x then use the center ring as a reference. If this line is not hitting the middle cogs and appears to be hitting more on the low ratio side of the cassette, then your chain line is off too much. You likely just got the wrong crankset BB spindle length combo.
Crankset is a 9000 series double, and the bottom bracket is a recommended size (It's a press-fit BB86 that I put a Token Ninja).

1) possibly but not likely, though you have to wonder why it was for sale if it was used.
2) this is very likely
3) I wouldn't think so.

Chain that is too long might be a possibility too.

I wouldn't fear going to a shop. Not as long as I can wear a mask and have minimal contact with others. I wear safety glasses too and resist any urge to rub my eyes or touch my face. But I suppose how you have to get there might be a risk.
I guess I'll just replace the RD hanger and then see where that ends up with me. I hadn't thought of the chain being too long, I sized it via the chain stay length/gearing size (53/46 + 11-28) and there's no droop even on small/small.

My other thought is that the frame in of itself is kind of janky (It's a Cinelli that was made in China) and might just need a shop to realign the hanger.

You say you've backed off the limit screw. Have you actually adjusted the derailleur so it will move further in that direction?
I'm not exactly sure on how one would readjust a Di2 derailleur outside of the limit screws?
Old 01-19-21, 01:04 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by octopus magic

I'm not exactly sure on how one would readjust a Di2 derailleur outside of the limit screws?
Wow, ok. You need to read the manual. You can adjust Di2 just like you can adjust mechanical derailleurs...how would you set it up if you couldn't?

Quick version: Hold the button on the A junction box til the red LED is on, usually 2 seconds or so. When the LED is on steady the shifter buttons become adjusters. They move the derailleur 1/12th of a shift for each push. When done adjusting push the button again and the LED will go out, both green & red will flash to confirm which shift mode you're using and then go out.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 01-19-21, 01:26 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Yeah, you need to do as cxwrench suggests. I didn't even think you'd be mucking about with Di2 without reading the manual on how to install and adjust it. You can either do it with the buttons on the junction box as suggested or use the e-tube project software on your computer.

The manual has specific procedures you should go through to ensure it is lined up properly with the cassette cogs. Limit screws whether on Di2 or cable pulled DR's are only for limits, not adjustment.

This site might help you too or at least point you to the docs on the Shimano site you need.

https://bettershifting.com/
Old 01-19-21, 02:18 PM
cxwrench

As we always say: RTFM. I'd swear that only about 10-20% of the new(er) toggle link front derailleurs I see are set up properly, and that comes as a direct result of not reading the f***ing manual.