Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How many Klein riders out there?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How many Klein riders out there?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-22, 06:43 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
1990 Quantum -- Bought it for the color and admittedly dont have more than 5 miles on it yet. I'm too spoiled by brifters and am waffling on whether to pay the tariff for nice Dura Ace 7400 series brifters ($150-$250 or so ) --- but will likely do so as Spring gets here

I need to square away and service all the bearing sets , but need to research what to do with the bottom bracket

Definitely leave the BB alone, it will last almost forever.

Also would be possible to remove the crank arms and the bearing seals, but some bit of grit WILL end up inside of each bearing.

I've ridden older but similar Viscount BB's "to death" with no maintenance and couldn't kill them.

I would use the much-lighter, easier-to-find 10s STI levers, derailer, chain (and cassette on your 8s freehub), will perform better, feel better in your hands and offer wider ratio options like the 12-30t cassette.
The comparable 8s parts are boat-anchor heavy, less common to find, less ergonomic, etc.
The 8s chainrings should work fine with 10s chain (the small ring can be beveled slightly if needed to prevent chain skating).

Last edited by dddd; 02-15-22 at 09:02 PM.
Likes For dddd:
Old 02-19-22, 10:23 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
FranKleinbike. Built for a friend.

Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 02-20-22, 06:12 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 87 Posts

After rotating thru early Quantums to Race and Pros, both pre and post Trek, I’d have to say the deep paint and gorgeous ‘over-build’ of the early Quantums (NB chain-stays) was never excelled, but the later (still Chehalis) Races and Pros are exceptionally lighter and a better ride. The paint gets ‘thinner’ but the colors are just as vibrant, and the fork technology and geometry are outstanding. I’ve finally settled into two exceptional Pros and a beat up Race that cover all my needs, so the rest have to go at some point…just hard to let go of an old frame once you’ve ridden it for awhile.
Likes For Sonofamechanic:
Old 04-30-22, 02:54 PM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 92 Posts
I don't remember exactly when I got it, but I got my Performance around 10 years ago from a dentist in Natick, if I recall correctly. It's got Shimano 105 components. I think the rims are Mavic SUP. It's a Columbus fork. A year or two ago, I leaned it against a railing while I was rearranging my basement and it fell over against a concrete step, putting a dent in the top tube. I still ride it, but I still kick myself over that. Today, I finally got around to wrapping a strip from an old inner tube around the chain stay, then realized I'd wrapped it around the RD cable, too. Maybe it'll shift okay, anyway. If not, it's not a big deal to remove it. Guess I should just remove it and find another solution. Sigh.

Getting groceries

Clean and lube
Likes For RichSPK:
Old 05-01-22, 09:14 AM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by RichSPK
I don't remember exactly when I got it, but I got my Performance around 10 years ago from a dentist in Natick, if I recall correctly. It's got Shimano 105 components. I think the rims are Mavic SUP. It's a Columbus fork. A year or two ago, I leaned it against a railing while I was rearranging my basement and it fell over against a concrete step, putting a dent in the top tube. I still ride it, but I still kick myself over that. Today, I finally got around to wrapping a strip from an old inner tube around the chain stay, then realized I'd wrapped it around the RD cable, too. Maybe it'll shift okay, anyway. If not, it's not a big deal to remove it. Guess I should just remove it and find another solution. Sigh.
Yeah, it wouldn't shift at all with rubber wrapped around the chain stay. And if it had, it probably would have scraped the cable along the underside of the chain stay, which doesn't sound like a good idea. Guess I'll have to get a self-adhesive chain stay protector.
Old 05-17-22, 07:20 AM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Bikes: officially too many now...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 42 Posts
Quantum II project coming together

Likes For EnzoRWD:
Old 05-31-22, 07:21 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Originally Posted by EnzoRWD
Quantum II project coming together

Coral Reef? Gorgeous!
Old 05-31-22, 11:32 AM
Mike from Iowa

Bikes: 1939 The James Arrow Ace Convertible Touring Tandem, 1950 Dunelt cruiser, 1960 Robin Hood Sports, 1972 Humber Sports, 1986 Panasonic Touring Deluxe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 19 Posts
Klein Navigator

Here is a Klein Navigator I picked up in early March. It came to me already upgraded with Brooks bar tape, saddle, hand built wheels, and VO fenders. The drivetrain/brifters were also updated before I got it. All I did was add the VO front and rear racks. This is a shot from the High Trestle trail two weeks ago. I look forward to taking this touring this summer.
Likes For Mike from Iowa:
Old 06-11-23, 07:24 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
It's only been a year so time to bring this back to life.

I'm back in the Klein family after yesterday's local pickup. I had sold my Frankenstein Quantum II last year but missed how well it rode. I had my eye on an earlier Quantum Race over in town and then the exact same year/model showed up for sale about a mile from the house. Plus it was less than 1/2 the price of the other one. Had some free time yesterday afternoon so I went and checked it out and then brought it home. It appears to be a pretty much unmolested and little used 23 year old beauty. Overall condition seems great once I cleaned it up. One major paint blemish and then tiny chip or two on the bike, no dings at all. Mismatched STI shifters for some reason but pretty sure I have the needed mate in my parts stash.

Gave it a quick clean and service last night and intend to take it out for a test ride today. Swapped out the Rolf wheels and dry rotted tires for some nice Zonda's I had and some new Vittoria rubber. It was 19 lbs 9 ozs when I brought it home. Listed weight in the 2000 Klein Tech Specs was 18.5 lbs. The wheel swap and bottle cage swapped dropped it to 19 lbs 1 ozs. These weights with those funky and heavy flat pedals. When I swap them for some proper Look Keo's it will drop more. If I really like the ride of this it may get the Dura Ace 7700 or Ultegra 6800 groupset I have stashed. If it proves to be harsher than the Quantum II I'll probably put the Rolf back on and pass it on at the low price I got it.

The crusty beast I brought home

After a quick clean and service and wheel swap.

Cassette looks pretty new and chain shows no wear. Need to pull and service the jockey wheels still and then degrease the RD better.

Need to hit the crank and chainrings with some serious degreaser.

The spot here is the only real paint damage

Brake pads felt fine on a real short test last night

One of the more subtle Klein paint jobs.

Need to figure out if that's a stain in the paint or adhesive residue above this metal plate.

Glad to get a chance to ride one with the originl fork. My other Klein had a replaced fork.
Old 06-11-23, 05:59 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Klein Quantum Pro fixie attempt

Had a Klein Quantum Z set up as a fixie (cracked rear dropout so converted to horizontal dropouts) but the Campy Pista crankset outclassed the bike…so swapped out and built up this Quantum Pro with the Campy Pista crankset and a set of White Industries ENO hubs (rear is eccentric flip flop) laced to Mavic CXP30’s. Seems a better set up for a fixie but need to do some climbing to see if eccentric hub holds under vigorous pedaling. Still need to pick up a Campy front brake caliper (Shimano 600 in the meanwhile.) Lots of fun to look at anyway.

Old 06-15-23, 12:31 PM
Chuckk
Groupetto Dragon-Ass

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 370 Posts
Got a second Klein last Fall to go with my '98 Quantum Race that was already posted.
1989 Klein Quantum from the second owner.
It was raced for the Helotes Cycle Shop by the original owner, then passed on to his buddy who raced for their mountain bike team as his training bike.
Repainted and re-decaled along the way, Campy crank and Phil hubs. Aluminum fork, but is that Klein or aftermarket?
Stiff, but not as bad as the second owner warned me!
Likes For Chuckk:
Old 06-15-23, 01:29 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Originally Posted by Chuckk
Repainted and re-decaled along the way, Campy crank and Phil hubs. Aluminum fork, but is that Klein or aftermarket?
Early Quantum’s came with polished aluminum fork—so best guess is its original. Re. stiffness…its still amazing to me how comfortable a Klein Quantum rides when a Cannondale aluminum frame of the same era is an extremely ‘brittle’ ride—and yet somehow Klein keeps the stiffness for acceleration.
Old 06-15-23, 04:08 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Meine Klein ist groß. 63cm. Wheelbase must be 44 inches. I had a Cannonwhale and a Performance Elite, still have the Klein but have not ridden it in 25 years.
Old 06-16-23, 06:48 AM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir_Name
Huh, no ****. That lines up with the blue spray on the steerer tube peeking out from under the current coat. This bike may have made its rounds.
And I'm even later. That sounds so much like the boron stayed dark teal Team Super (just like the brochure photo) a local bloke rode in the eighties in my neck of the woods. A few summers ago, it was sitting in the window of my LBS with no takers, and it was given to one of the long term shop rats. I think the main reason for the failure to sell was the resolutely narrow spaced rear DOs. I never got to sit on that bike, so no visceral impressions for me. The closest thing to an epiphany for me riding a prototype bike was an all too short spin on a Slingshot road prototype. For such a weird bike, it was an amazing climber and far less wiggly than one would expect.
Old 06-16-23, 06:53 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Yes, the Klein does not take a fat rear tire despite wicked long chain stays. I could not fit my beloved Specialized Expeditions on it. I think 28 or maybe 32mm was the widest