Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Fly 6CE vs TOOO DVR80

Old 04-12-22, 10:27 PM
lefteye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fly 6CE vs TOOO DVR80

Hi all,

I have posted a video showing a side by side (really, top to bottom) comparison of the two rear combo camera/lights. The DVR80 was a Kickstarter campaign, but the company pulled it and went directly to retail. TLDR: for the areas I tested, the DVR80 is superior.
https://vimeo.com/696386382
Old 04-13-22, 08:17 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
Nice comparison.

My Fly6 (latest Gen 3) footage looks waaaay smoother than what you are getting, but not quite as smooth as the DVR80. Did you have image stabilisation switched on? Mount a little loose? I can easily read number plates and get some "good enough" still images.

As for water ingress, recently on a rainy ride my Fly6 filled up with water through the rubber charge port on the top. Totally crapped out. Got three years out of it.
Old 04-13-22, 09:57 PM
lefteye

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! Sorry that your Fly6 drowned. It's especially annoying since they make claims of water resistance on their website. And is rain a forseeable event that a bike camera might see? For sure.

As to the image stabilization, I was so surprised at the difference that I checked to see if it was set on. It was. It may be that the mount is not as secure as it once was. I was looking at some footage from 2019, which looked much better. But it was from Norway, where the roads are generally much better than in the US.
Old 05-13-22, 10:58 AM
lefteye

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've dug a little further into the difference in stabilized behavior of the Cyclig vs the TOOO. The driver for this is that the Cyclic supplied mount failed, and rather than spend $40+ on another one that would fail, I decided to try a 3-D printed version of the Cycliq to GoPro adapter. It works, broadly speaking, but the Fly12 moves around quite a bit in the mount. I also played a bit with the Fly6 and its mount. It also moves a bit in the mount. I think repeated insertions and removals wear the four "wings" in the camera side of the mount, so play increases, and the result is worse shaking and poorer video quality. The design of the TOOO mount, while less universal, looks like it won't wear in that way.