Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is there a difference between Shimano brake cables and shift cables?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-22, 10:34 AM
donhaller 

Bikes: GIANT TCR C1, Gary Fisher Aquila MTB, Custom Nishiki, TREK Antelope

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts

I replaced my shifter cables with new Jagwire Stainless Steel cables and was planning on changing my brake cables as well. A buddy told me they are different cables. True? if so, what cable is recommended. When shopping on Amazon and Ebay I saw no real differences???

Last edited by donhaller; 05-31-22 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-31-22, 10:38 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
The direct answer to your question is, "yes, there is a difference between Shimano brake cables and shift cables." There's a difference between brake and shift cables regardless of brand -- brake cables are typically thicker (1.2mm rings a bell to me) and have different cable ends than shift cables, which are usually thinner (1.0mm?).

Many people use the multi-packs you can get on Amazon and eBay, many people use only high-end stainless cables, and many people prefer to trust the quality of whatever the local bike shop carries (which is usuallly Jagwire). Most bike shops carry both standard and stainless varieties, so you usually have a few choices there.
Old 05-31-22, 10:39 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if shift and brake cables are different? If so I don't understand how anyone could not see that they are in fact very different.
Old 05-31-22, 10:49 AM
donhaller 

Well, I haven't had the brake cables out to inspect them and have not done this before. The shift cable replacements were easy enough. I just didn't know the brake cables were different. Thanks for the confirmation and now I need to order the correct configuration to replace my brake cables.
Old 05-31-22, 12:01 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Don, also be aware that Shimano compatible road bike brake cables and mountain bike/hybrid brake cables use different ends.
Based on your profile, you own both kinds.
Old 05-31-22, 12:09 PM
donhaller 

Originally Posted by rccardr
Don, also be aware that Shimano compatible road bike brake cables and mountain bike/hybrid brake cables use different ends.
Based on your profile, you own both kinds.
Thanks! Yeah this is for my road bike! So thanks for that clarification
Old 05-31-22, 12:16 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I think that on the very old bikes of the 70's that the cables were about the same diameter if not the same. But the terminus or whatever the proper word is for the thing on the end of the cable was different depending on whether it was to fit in a shifter or a brake lever.

When indexed shifting came along and particularly with STI's and their cousins, the shift cables got even narrower in diameter.

I might be speaking nonsense, someone else should double check what I'm spouting from just off the top of my head. <grin>
Old 05-31-22, 01:47 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
I would also recommend using the Jagwire Brake Housing from their top tier group as they are much less prone to compression sponginess. You'll notice a difference when switching from Shimano and others that the brakes will feel firmer and easier to modulate. Also, Shimano uses a 1.2mm shift cable and Jagwire plus some others use a 1.1mm. I've used both cables in JW or Shim housing and no issues so basically interchangeable.
Old 05-31-22, 08:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,957 Times in 2,645 Posts
Yes they are very different.

If I were buying new stuff I would go with Jagwire Elite Link kits for both brakes and shifters or at least the Pro Level and I would make sure I am getting the right stuff. Luckily your local shop can help you out both with getting the parts (if they don't already have them) and also with install. Buy local Billionaire Jeff Bezos does not need any more of your money, he is plenty rich without it plus he is useless when it comes to bike queries or fixing anything.

Always buy the best slick stainless (and ideally polished) cables and the highest quality housing for your bike as it will improve things quite a bit without costing a whole lot.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-01-22, 04:36 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by donhaller
I replaced my shifter cables with new Jagwire Stainless Steel cables and was planning on changing my brake cables as well. A buddy told me they are different cables. True? if so, what cable is recommended. When shopping on Amazon and Ebay I saw no real differences???
The inner cables are different and, crucially, the housings are of very different construction, shift housing being substantially weaker. Never use shift cable or housing for brake systems, ever.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 06-01-22, 08:30 AM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Just to add an illustration to the above info, here are end differences in the cables (note, don't pay too much attention to the cable lengths shown in the bottom right. Most likely the cable you buy will be sufficiently long and you just cut to fit). You can get road or mountain specific brake cables, or you can buy universal brake cable that has the road (mushroom) and the mountain (barrel) configuration on each end and you cut off what you don't need.

Likes For MudPie:
Old 06-01-22, 09:23 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I think that on the very old bikes of the 70's that the cables were about the same diameter if not the same.
The main change is that back then we used the same steel wound housing for brake cables and shifter cables. With indexed shifting came the new shifter housing with longitudinal wires. I don’t recall any change in cable widths.

Otto
Old 06-01-22, 10:09 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by ofajen
The main change is that back then we used the same steel wound housing for brake cables and shifter cables. With indexed shifting came the new shifter housing with longitudinal wires. I don’t recall any change in cable widths.

Otto
When I first replaced the the shifter cable on my '78 Raleigh Competition GS, what I took off was quite a bit larger diameter. I don't think it was quite as big as the brake cable, but certainly not as small a diameter as what I replaced it with.

At the time I did this back circa 2010, there was a site talking about how the diameters changed over the progression from down tube friction shifters and just 5 speeds on the rear to more modern indexed shifting with more speeds on the rear.

Of course now that I need some backup I can't find the site or article I thought I'd read. So it's not a big worry one way or the other for me.
Old 06-01-22, 11:06 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
If it's of any help, I wrote in some detail about the shifter, brake cable, and housing standards - with pics and all.
Likes For Bike Gremlin:
Old 06-01-22, 12:36 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
It's clear that I was off with my thickness recollection above. I appreciate the resources listed giving the correct info!
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 06-01-22, 01:32 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
The inner cables are different and, crucially, the housings are of very different construction, shift housing being substantially weaker. Never use shift cable or housing for brake systems, ever.
Well, I switched to the linked housing from the cheap TRLREQ brand and it is the same for brake and shift cables and superior, mostly vastly, in other ways. Actuation is more precise, tight turns are possible, no housing ends are needed, the links are reusable and color combinations can be used to mark individual cable runs.
Old 06-01-22, 05:38 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
BTW unless you have a problem with yuor cables rusting, stainless cables are not better than galvanized cables. Galvanized cables are self lubricating and less brittle.
Old 06-02-22, 06:31 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Simple. Buy a Shimano shift cable and a brake cable, Compare, The difference will be obvious
Old 06-03-22, 05:33 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
I think that on the very old bikes of the 70's that the cables were about the same diameter if not the same. But the terminus or whatever the proper word is for the thing on the end of the cable was different depending on whether it was to fit in a shifter or a brake lever.
You could buy a 'universal' cable that had a brake terminus on one end and a shift terminus on the other end. Handy to carry as a spare on a long tour.
Likes For tcs:
Old 06-03-22, 08:12 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by tcs
You could buy a 'universal' cable that had a brake terminus on one end and a shift terminus on the other end. Handy to carry as a spare on a long tour.
Well that's interesting. I wasn't aware of that or if I was then old age and dementia have addled my mind. <grin>

Since the bike was just acquired by me in 2010 it's probably very likely the cables weren't original to the bike made in 1978. Perhaps this better explains why they seemed the same size.
Old 06-03-22, 09:21 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Please provide a link to this as I've never heard of it. The cable diameter is different, 1.6mm for brake and 1.1-1.2mm for shift. Explain how this would work. There are 'universal' brake cables that are mountain on one end and road on the other, and shift cables that are Campy on one end and Shimano/SRAM on the other...but a cable that doubles as both shift and brake? I doubt it.
Old 06-03-22, 11:47 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Otto
This, and the size (1.2mm shfit vs 1.5mm for brakes) and the cable ends are different.
Old 06-03-22, 12:11 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Please provide a link to this as I've never heard of it. The cable diameter is different, 1.6mm for brake and 1.1-1.2mm for shift. Explain how this would work. There are 'universal' brake cables that are mountain on one end and road on the other, and shift cables that are Campy on one end and Shimano/SRAM on the other...but a cable that doubles as both shift and brake? I doubt it.
You want an internet link to something that was available 40+ years ago...

In the 10-speed, friction shift, single pivot brake, pre-mountain bike era, things were more forgiving. As were people.
Likes For tcs:
Old 06-03-22, 12:15 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by tcs
You want an internet link to something that was available 40+ years ago...

In the 10-speed, friction shift, single pivot brake, pre-mountain bike era, things were more forgiving. As were people.
You might also have to explain that 40 years ago, 10 speed was 5 on the rear times the 2 on the front.
Old 06-03-22, 02:33 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Well that's interesting. I wasn't aware of that or if I was then old age and dementia have addled my mind. <grin>

Since the bike was just acquired by me in 2010 it's probably very likely the cables weren't original to the bike made in 1978. Perhaps this better explains why they seemed the same size.
Yeah, I can’t recall yea or nay, but it could totally work. Shifters (at least the thumb and DT shifters I have) can handle brake cable width and since all housings back then could handle it, too, why not have a combo brake/shift cable? Back then, the only shifter housing would usually be the 12” section (of brake cable housing) from chain stay stop to RD.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.