Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-22, 04:38 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts

I don’t think these tires are the greatest, but they do have the Continental name, and $42 is a good price

Had to put new tires on this today. Got a slow leak which started leaking faster, it was a skabs patch that melted. Spent $148.06 at a bike shop in Douglaston, went for another ride in the afternoon. These photos are from yesterday.
Old 05-23-22, 01:19 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Followup- took the chain off , put it in a coffee can with two ounces of lawnmower gas, shook it around, reinstalled, re-oiled, and it’s shifting easier now, it was all gummed up.
Old 05-26-22, 05:32 PM
hotbike

Blick Art Materials in Carle Place

Rode the cargo bike to an art supply store to buy a can of spray paint. Ten miles there and 10 miles back.
Old 05-27-22, 12:36 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
A lost-ish week for me.......after 2+ years on the front lines, finally caught a bullet, knocked down but not out by covid. I've now done 3 short afternoon rides of around 25 miles without any difficulty, so hopefully that's behind me. In the interest of isolating from the ladies of the house, I spent the week "camping" although my setup was positively decadent.....a 55 year old canvas classic I camped in as a child and still use as a deer hunting base camp. Never had electricity though! Full disclosure, it was in my backyard

Now to do some real camping.........

Likes For kaos joe:
Old 05-29-22, 04:09 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
Got a bucket list ride done today, while my wife was wandering the New Paltz Craft Fair, I rode up from the fairgrounds to the Walkill Valley Rail Trail. Got in a decent 21 miles before lunch. The trail was not what I expected. I had seen folks complain that the gravel surface is too rough, it's not, its a pretty fine gravel, you could ride this on 28mm slick tires quite comfortably. It was unfortunately washed out north of the Rosendale bridge, requiring a road detour, which I opted to skip as I had to get back for lunch. Trail was not at all muddy either, which I have read, even after a lot of rain yesterday. All in all a very nice trail and ride.

Old 06-08-22, 07:56 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Afternoon solo 50 miles, after putting about 90 miles on the tandems over the weekend. I think I'm pretty much bounced back from the Wuhan flu.

Likes For kaos joe:
Old 06-09-22, 04:11 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
that beach looks good. glad you're rebounding. when Wifey tested positive we danced around ea. other in the house. the tent is brilliant. wonder if anyone ever hooked up an a/c to a backyard tent
Old 06-09-22, 10:44 AM
kaos joe

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
that beach looks good. glad you're rebounding. when Wifey tested positive we danced around ea. other in the house. the tent is brilliant. wonder if anyone ever hooked up an a/c to a backyard tent
Crab Meadow Beach in Northport NY, Connecticut coast on the horizon. Setting up a/c in the tent would take some engineering talent. It was nice and cool when I was out there. I considered bringing in a mini-fridge but didn't bother. My main concern was the safety of my 89 year old mother in law, and after all that effort she tested positive anyway and suffered milder symptoms than I did! My initial symptom was a stiff neck after 45 mile ride; nothing unusual there except I rode my "raciest" bike and thought maybe it was time to raise the handlebars......
Likes For kaos joe:
Old 06-09-22, 10:55 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
Crab Meadow Beach in Northport NY, Connecticut coast on the horizon. Setting up a/c in the tent would take some engineering talent. It was nice and cool when I was out there. I considered bringing in a mini-fridge but didn't bother. My main concern was the safety of my 89 year old mother in law, and after all that effort she tested positive anyway and suffered milder symptoms than I did! My initial symptom was a stiff neck after 45 mile ride; nothing unusual there except I rode my "raciest" bike and thought maybe it was time to raise the handlebars......
I hear ya. I have 2 elderly parents in NY. 92 yr old Mom has been tending to 95 yr old Dad. visiting the last 2-3 years, has been interesting, to say the least. Pops is in rehab now w/ pneumonia. no idea how he got it. they are both vaxxed 3 times. I've had 4 jabs. they've had visitors, so who knows. they only got tested once in the 2-3 yrs ... they say Pops is coming home at some point. that would be impressive. glad your M-I-L is doing well!

might be time to raise those bars, regardless, eh?
Old 06-09-22, 11:06 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Got a bucket list ride done today, while my wife was wandering the New Paltz Craft Fair, I rode up from the fairgrounds to the Walkill Valley Rail Trail. Got in a decent 21 miles before lunch. The trail was not what I expected. I had seen folks complain that the gravel surface is too rough, it's not, its a pretty fine gravel, you could ride this on 28mm slick tires quite comfortably. It was unfortunately washed out north of the Rosendale bridge, requiring a road detour, which I opted to skip as I had to get back for lunch. Trail was not at all muddy either, which I have read, even after a lot of rain yesterday. All in all a very nice trail and ride.

That was a good idea to ride the trail while your wife visited the crafts fair. I'm going to have to try that. My wife and I did the trail about 7 years ago. The larger gravel bothered her a bunch and she ended up falling but not getting hurt. I think suddenly transitioning into the part of the trail with the large crushed stone is scary for some. And that was the case with her. We both had 90's mountain bikes with smooth tires. We had no problems on the rest of the trail.

I do wish that smaller gravel could be used because I would prefer to ride with her. With the trail unchanged, there is no chance I could talk her into going again.

Anyway, it is one of my favorite trails.
Old 06-09-22, 12:43 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
That was a good idea to ride the trail while your wife visited the crafts fair. I'm going to have to try that. My wife and I did the trail about 7 years ago. The larger gravel bothered her a bunch and she ended up falling but not getting hurt. I think suddenly transitioning into the part of the trail with the large crushed stone is scary for some. And that was the case with her. We both had 90's mountain bikes with smooth tires. We had no problems on the rest of the trail.

I do wish that smaller gravel could be used because I would prefer to ride with her. With the trail unchanged, there is no chance I could talk her into going again.

Anyway, it is one of my favorite trails.
Seems like they renovated. The trail I rode, 10 miles from New Paltz to the Binnewater Rd. detour, is a fine gravel, easily ridable on 28mm tires.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 06-11-22, 04:45 PM
hotbike

Eastbound on Old Country Road

Old 06-11-22, 06:20 PM
hotbike

This is all I’m uploading from today’s ride.

Camera is mounted on the bike.

This is what makes it possible to ride in traffic.
Old 06-11-22, 06:59 PM
kaos joe

Seen on today's ride.

Short but fastish 33 miles today, immediately following a busy overnight shift. The Mrs was pleased to have outsprinted a guy on an e-bike UP one of the hills on Cove Rd in Oyster Bay. She did, ahhh, have some help from the dork on the front saddle, I maintain.
Likes For kaos joe:
Old 06-11-22, 07:08 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by hotbike
Sweeping Left Turn • Westbury

This is all I’m uploading from today’s ride.

Camera is mounted on the bike.

This is what makes it possible to ride in traffic.
You may not have alternatives, but I prefer to find alternate roads than something like Old Country. I think you are maybe inviting trouble riding a road with 2-3 lanes each direction where traffic speeds often exceed 50. As well OCR is a very, very busy road, nor something I would choose to cycle on, Are you sure you are safe ?
Old 06-13-22, 06:53 AM
hotbike

Originally Posted by Steve B.
You may not have alternatives, but I prefer to find alternate roads than something like Old Country. I think you are maybe inviting trouble riding a road with 2-3 lanes each direction where traffic speeds often exceed 50. As well OCR is a very, very busy road, nor something I would choose to cycle on, Are you sure you are safe ?
I would recommend Westbury Avenue, which is north of the LIRR Mainline, to anyone who’s concerned about traffic on Old Country Road.
But I’m watching my rear-view mirrors in addition to all the lights. I believe it’s safer to take the middle of the right lane than to hug the white line at the edge. I forced most motorists to make a full lane change, and the other two were waiting to make right turns.
Old 06-14-22, 05:02 PM
kaos joe

My first Captree ride of the year. Windy down there....who would have guessed?

Old 06-15-22, 05:43 PM
hotbike

13.6 miles starting at Oyster Bay LIRR, north on West Shore Road, West Harbor Drive, Bayville Avenue, Bayville Road, Horse Hollow Road, Birch Hill Road , Forrest Avenue, Pearsall Avenue, Glen Street, and Cedar Swamp Road. No photo today.
Saw at least a dozen other cyclists.
Old 06-18-22, 11:21 AM
kaos joe

Seen on today's beautiful windy ride, on which I managed to dump my bride onto the pavement from the tandem while at a standstill......

Old 06-18-22, 05:47 PM
hotbike

Mineola LIRR Station

Steel plate in road

Road Closed

Precast concrete

Willis Avenue

Oyster Bay Branch

Roslyn Road

Pedestrian tunnel

Roslyn Road pedestrian tunnel

Pedestrian plaza OVER the Willis Avenue bridge portal

Eighteen miles around Mineola with this great new camera mount.
Old 06-18-22, 11:33 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Any suggested route for riding to Montauk? In-laws are flying the kids down for a week leaving the wife and I alone. Since it seems like Montauk is one of those things everyone does when they live on the island she came up with the idea of riding there. I assume since there's some popularity to it there's a common route? Also, anything special out there we shouldn't miss? I know its one of those places people like going to but I have no idea what's special about it and have never been out that far. We're planning to leave early and come back on the train.
Old 06-19-22, 10:15 AM
kaos joe

Russ, I'll forward you a good route later today I think you'll like. Happy Father's Day!
Old 06-19-22, 10:46 PM
kaos joe

Ok Russ, busy day today. Off we go to Montauk.

Most of our Montauk rides originate at the Massapequa Park LIRR station, which makes for about 102 miles to Montauk village and 114 if you go all the way to the point and return to town. Unfortunately you missed the annual MPBC Montauk ride, the "Ancient Mariner" century which was yesterday. If you want alternatives to my directions I'm sure a number of participants have downloaded their versions to RideWithGPS or GarminConnect, etc.

From the station, head east on Front Street, and turn right on Park Ln to get to the south side of Sunrise Hwy. Turn east again on Sunrise and bear right at the fork onto Old Sunrise. This will get you thru Amityville, Lindenhurst, the name eventually changing to Oak St, Railroad Ave and Trolley Line Rd. You'll pass along the north side of Argyle Lake in Babylon. Just past Babylon High School, left on Deer Park Ave, quick right on George, left on Cooper, right on John St. These turns are all within a couple hundred yards. John becomes Union Blvd for a long eastward haul to a L on Montauk Hwy at the Bayard Arboretum. Stay on Montauk thru Oakdale and into Sayville.

Now IMHO none of the 22 miles up to Sayville are particularly nice or scenic. If you prefer to save yourself these miles, park at Sayville LIRR and ride south into the village on Railroad Ave and turn L (east) on Middle Rd (rt 65). Follow 65 to a L at Atlantic, a R at Weeks, a L at River and a R at Division into Patchogue, where Division becomes Baker. Going thru Patchogue painlessly requires a series of quick turns always pointing you north or east. From Baker, L on Rider, R on Edwards, L on Bay, R on Liberty, L on Grove, R on Swezy, L on Roe, and finally R on South Country for a long stretch.

Not far past Gateway Playhouse bear R on Beaver Dam. Careful, there is or, hopefully, was, a seam on Beaver Dam that broke a friend's leg. This is a gorgeous stretch though. L on Old Stump at the end, and back to Montauk Hwy.

At this point I'm going to refer you back to 3 previous posts I made about this route, on this thread. Post #1996, on page 80, gives directions for the rest of the voyage from this point on east.. And posts #1976 and 1977 have some pics.

Now I know you're a good photographer, & hope you do the ride and take some nice shots for us!

Last edited by kaos joe; 06-19-22 at 11:00 PM.
Likes For kaos joe:
Old 06-21-22, 11:15 AM
hotbike

Rode to Williston Park this morning to purchase fishcakes, egg rolls, buns, and buckwheat soba noodles. 16.4 miles round trip.
Edit: did 8.1 more miles to Glen Cove and return.

Last edited by hotbike; 06-21-22 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-25-22, 10:09 PM
kaos joe

Great group of 15, on only 14 bikes, 42 miles up to Pryibil Beach on East Island, since it was definitely a beach day. A nice stopping place for cyclists on hot days. I usually cool my head under the beach showers. Kids usually amused by this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.