Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Choosing frame color for vintage bicyle paint job.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Choosing frame color for vintage bicyle paint job.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-22, 10:53 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 351 Posts
Pearl White head tube no matter which color you select for the remainder of the bike. Do this and it will always look great.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 06-21-22, 10:31 AM
PimpMan

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
This is color i have selected.

Last edited by PimpMan; 06-21-22 at 10:47 AM.
Likes For PimpMan:
Old 06-21-22, 10:35 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Sidebar: Has anyone tried....

...the white appliance enamel?

I'm thinking about shooting a frame with it.
Seems durable enough.
Thoughts on it vs. Bikepaint?

White is the only color that works with my decals, so that was my consideration.
Old 06-21-22, 10:40 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
I lIke the color you chose. It fits well. For future reference note that any one of the PASTEL colors will work well with white tires...

Old 06-21-22, 10:50 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Originally Posted by bamboobike4
I am sold on RUSTOLIUM WHITE ENAMEL, hand painted with a brush if necessary. Note that the paint needs to be thinned with PENITROL at about 20%. You will also need a good soft CAMEL HAIR brush about 1" wide. Paint over sprayed on Rustolium Grey Primer. I am experienced in painting and it took me two tries to get my technique right so be slow and careful. Paint the bike one section at a time till ya get the hang of it.

I used to be a big fan of Rattle Can paint jobs as they were economical and easy to strip and redo if damaged. They were just fine as I store my bikes inside and was just ridding on pavement. I have now transitioned to low traffic torn up asphalt gravely routes and they really tore up my rattle can jobs. So lately I have been using the hand painted enamel that gives me a nice shinny THICK coating of paint. The only drawback I have is that the hand painted Rustolium Enamel needs to dry fully and that can be at least a week in our Central Texas HEAT...

Last edited by zandoval; 06-21-22 at 10:54 AM.
Likes For zandoval:
Old 06-21-22, 11:03 AM
PimpMan

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
I lIke the color you chose. It fits well. For future reference note that any one of the PASTEL colors will work well with white tires...
This light shades are only available for car rattle can paints cans that cost three times more than what i paid for this one.

I used to be a big fan of Rattle Can paint jobs as they were economical and easy to strip and redo if damaged. They were just fine as I store my bikes inside and was just ridding on pavement. I have now transitioned to low traffic torn up asphalt gravely routes and they really tore up my rattle can jobs. So lately I have been using the hand painted enamel that gives me a nice shinny THICK coating of paint. The only drawback I have is that the hand painted Rustolium Enamel needs to dry fully and that can be at least a week in our Central Texas HEAT...
I have also used clear coat for protection after using Rattle Can (Nitrocellulose paint) to create additional protective layer.

Last edited by PimpMan; 06-21-22 at 11:50 AM.
Likes For PimpMan:
Old 06-21-22, 05:42 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 252 Posts
Candy blue or candy red if you want it to look fabulous, it's a road / racing bicycle and you go with 2k / automotive paint. Simple blue or red gloss if it's a city / touring bike and you're going with powder coating. Could be with white bits. Deep / bottle green gloss or black gloss if it's a porteur bike - could be both colours at once. Duck egg blue possibly with cream accents if it's a mixte.
Old 06-21-22, 06:04 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by bamboobike4

I'm thinking about shooting a frame with it.
Seems durable enough.
Thoughts on it vs. Bikepaint?

White is the only color that works with my decals, so that was my consideration.
I did two BMX frames with appliance epoxy spray can stuff. One white, one black. I'd say durable enough. Tougher than straight Rustoleum or Krylon enamel. Hell, tougher than the factory paint on my Bianchi-made '89 Puch. My youngest boys ride those bikes, so they get scuffed up. No experience with Bikepaint.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 06-21-22, 06:06 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
@PimpMan, say, that color looks familiar...

1964 Raleigh-made Huffy Sportsman.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 06-22-22, 01:41 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
I did two BMX frames with appliance epoxy spray can stuff. One white, one black. I'd say durable enough. Tougher than straight Rustoleum or Krylon enamel. Hell, tougher than the factory paint on my Bianchi-made '89 Puch. My youngest boys ride those bikes, so they get scuffed up. No experience with Bikepaint.
I used Rustoleum Automotive (primer, paint and top gloss) enamel on two frames that needed repaint. One of them has been re-done after a year of using and can tell you this paint can be very, very tough and chipping resistant. Probably not worse than factory paint on currently mass produced bicycles, though I'm guessing powder coating already took over paint in the manufacturing process these days. But ideally you would have to leave it unused for months in a warm and airy place. If you wait just a couple of weeks, putting any clamps, annything that presses against the paint (even just the cable outers), is going to leave marks. The layer of paint might be thin and with all details of the frame construction nicely visible, but it's thick enough to get deformed. So what I learned from the whole process was: leave it be for a long time. It really needs time to cure, so when you think it's safe to handle, just put it away and come back in 6 months I'm guessing that would be the best procedure with any paint, perhaps with an exception of good 2k, automotive paint, body shop job.
Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 06-22-22, 03:35 PM
moe_g

Bikes: 1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I'm partial to the olivey green for the all white tires. If the tires were whitewall I'd say the emerald. I'm a green girl.
Old 06-23-22, 08:52 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Had a Raleigh Super Course painted by Acme of Portland 20 yrs ago. I reaquested a warm white head tube and seat tube panel. This is how it looked.
Likes For ollo_ollo:
Old 06-23-22, 07:35 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
I am sold on RUSTOLIUM WHITE ENAMEL, hand painted with a brush if necessary. Note that the paint needs to be thinned with PENITROL at about 20%. You will also need a good soft CAMEL HAIR brush about 1" wide. Paint over sprayed on Rustolium Grey Primer. I am experienced in painting and it took me two tries to get my technique right so be slow and careful. Paint the bike one section at a time till ya get the hang of it.

Would there be an equivalent clear product that could be applied over an existing paint job in a similar manner (after proper cleaning and prep of course)?
Old 06-23-22, 07:42 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I have a seafoam green tele that is like to see as a bike color. Are u worried about dirt on the white tires?
Another Fender colour Lake Placid Blue.
Old 06-23-22, 10:20 PM
zandoval 

Originally Posted by USAZorro
Would there be an equivalent clear product that could be applied over an existing paint job in a similar manner (after proper cleaning and prep of course)?
No, I don't think so. The Rustolium Enamel dries shinny enough. I have tried Rustolium Clear Seal in a spray can but was not impressed.