Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Ultimate Cyclist App?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Ultimate Cyclist App?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-22, 03:19 PM
BikerDev

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Your App sounds similar to what I think Cyclique are trying to achieve. Maybe this actually is your App?
No not Cyclique. They’re more focused on introducing cyclists that have never met. We thought about that option too but were worried about the privacy and safety of that model. Not suggesting they don’t have that covered but we were conscious of ensuring peoples safety so kept it to known friends and the ability to ensure that cyclists could only connect with people they felt comfortable with becoming part of their friends circle.
The app we have is called Zuvolo. It’s on iOS and Android although Android is a little further behind than iOS as we built both platforms natively but have limited resource and time. We all have full-time jobs in development and UX.
As with all software, it’s a work in progress, it will never be finished and we know there are plenty of things to improve. But you gotta start somewhere right?!
Old 06-15-22, 03:29 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4401 Post(s)
Liked 4,849 Times in 3,001 Posts
Originally Posted by BikerDev
No not Cyclique. They’re more focused on introducing cyclists that have never met. We thought about that option too but were worried about the privacy and safety of that model. Not suggesting they don’t have that covered but we were conscious of ensuring peoples safety so kept it to known friends and the ability to ensure that cyclists could only connect with people they felt comfortable with becoming part of their friends circle.
The app we have is called Zuvolo. It’s on iOS and Android although Android is a little further behind than iOS as we built both platforms natively but have limited resource and time. We all have full-time jobs in development and UX.
As with all software, it’s a work in progress, it will never be finished and we know there are plenty of things to improve. But you gotta start somewhere right?!
Ah okay. Sounds interesting for anyone regularly organising group rides.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-15-22, 03:35 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
So, we built an app that would allow for a quick way to share an event with friends. We built a friends list so that you can connect with your cycling buddies which requires accept and reject options when accepting someone into your friends circle. You can then create an event and invite specific friends. Details of the event include date/time, route if you have a GPX file and then an option to add custom markers along the route, such as where you might be stopping for coffee or a bite to eat and any meeting points, such as when you're meeting up with another friend coming from a different direction (only those invited to the event can see these markers). Once the event starts you can share your location in realtime with people you specify, preferably your cycling buddies who are attending, you can see their speed, direction of travel, whether they have network connection issues and it's a quick way to determine if one of your friends is running late or how far away they are. Many of us also share that with our wives/partners etc too so they have a rough idea as to when we might be arriving home.
Facebook Groups, Facebook Events, Ride with GPS and Garnmin Livetrack stopped by to say Hi.
Old 06-15-22, 03:44 PM
BikerDev

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by prj71
Facebook Groups, Facebook Events, Ride with GPS and Garnmin Livetrack stopped by to say Hi.
That’s what Nokia and Blockbuster thought. Implementation will always be key. Apple are never first to the party but when they do turn up, they turn up in style.

Not suggesting we’re Apple by the way, I wish! You can always find a reason to not do something.
Old 06-15-22, 04:35 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I'm in a cycle club and they use a webpage with upcoming rides where anyone can publish an upcoming ride with the distance, route and speed target, capped at a certain number of riders. I'm also in offshoot group from the club who use whatsapp to publicize rides but in a very informal basis as the club rides tend to require lots of organization and questions like - "anyone have a 6mm Allen key to raise Barry's seat..."

A few thoughts:
- There may be some value in having an app for existing clubs. Eg they can use a paid-for admin account to maintain membership, fee payments, info page, upcoming events etc and members can publish rides. I'm sure maintaining a web site is a major task for most clubs and replacing this with a 3rd party app would be welcome. Perhaps charging clubs say $99/year and then the club offering paid membership (say $25/year, first 5 rides free) of which you get a cut. The club model may work for other clubs like hiking, horse riding or similar. Or maybe only charge clubs if they have over 100 members to encourage new clubs.
- Make the rides be able to limited to those who have completed previous rides. Eg in order to sign up for a 100mi "A" pace ride, you must have completed a 50mi "A" pace ride and to do the 50mi ride you must have completed a "B" pace ride and so on.
- Liability issues. If an organizer plans a 100mi ride over "dead-mans-pass" and some newbie collapses on the side of the road, is the organizer liable?
-A major issue with my club's web-based rides is that the as the only way to communicate is via email to the organizer but this is clumsy. You want to be able to easily communicate info before or during the ride. Eg you signed up but are running late and want to inform the group or the lunch spot is closed so you're changing venue. This should push to your bike's device (eg Garmin/Wahoo) so you see it while riding.
-a criticism of the cyclique app is you need to sign up just to take a peek. Due to the above posts, I wanted to check this out but don't want to sign-up just to kick the tires.
Likes For bluehills3149:
Old 06-15-22, 04:35 PM
PeteHski

That’s what Nokia and Blockbuster thought. Implementation will always be key. Apple are never first to the party but when they do turn up, they turn up in style.

Not suggesting we’re Apple by the way, I wish! You can always find a reason to not do something.
I agree with this sentiment.
Garmin get away with some seriously crap, unintuitive, bug-ridden software simply because there isn't a lot else on the market. They could easily become the Nokia of the GPS world at some future point.
Strava is far from perfection too. The data analysis/training metrics/planning side of their app is particularly weak.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-15-22, 04:39 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by bluehills3149
-a criticism of the cyclique app is you need to sign up just to take a peek.
This ^ right here is why I haven't actually used Cyclique yet!
Old 06-15-22, 04:47 PM
BikerDev

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A few thoughts:
- There may be some value in having an app for existing clubs. Eg they can use a paid-for admin account to maintain membership, fee payments, info page, upcoming events etc and members can publish rides. I'm sure maintaining a web site is a major task for most clubs and replacing this with a 3rd party app would be welcome. Perhaps charging clubs say $99/year and then the club offering paid membership (say $25/year, first 5 rides free) of which you get a cut. The club model may work for other clubs like hiking, horse riding or similar. Or maybe only charge clubs if they have over 100 members to encourage new clubs.
- Make the rides be able to limited to those who have completed previous rides. Eg in order to sign up for a 100mi "A" pace ride, you must have completed a 50mi "A" pace ride and to do the 50mi ride you must have completed a "B" pace ride and so on.
- Liability issues. If an organizer plans a 100mi ride over "dead-mans-pass" and some newbie collapses on the side of the road, is the organizer liable?
-A major issue with my club's web-based rides is that the as the only way to communicate is via email to the organizer but this is clumsy. You want to be able to easily communicate info before or during the ride. Eg you signed up but are running late and want to inform the group or the lunch spot is closed so you're changing venue. This should push to your bike's device (eg Garmin/Wahoo) so you see it while riding.

-a criticism of the cyclique app is you need to sign up just to take a peek. Due to the above posts, I wanted to check this out but don't want to sign-up just to kick the tires.
This is so insightful. This includes many of the ideation sessions we've had just throwing out some ideas out there to figure out whether they would be worth having and considering some of the implementation from a backend and frontend perspective. You should join our team

Last edited by BikerDev; 06-15-22 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-15-22, 04:50 PM
BikerDev

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This ^ right here is why I haven't actually used Cyclique yet!
This is interesting. It's something we've battled with since inception. I've always argued that we need a way to give people the option to get a feel for the app before signing up but we've struggled with the way it has been built. It's so reliant on our backend services and APIs we're not entirely sure what we could offer people if they don't sign up first and create a username. Nonetheless, we keep trying to figure it out and I agree with you wholeheartedly.
Old 06-16-22, 07:48 AM
prj71

The thing is what you are trying to do already exists.

I belong to a few private facebook cycling groups. For mountain biking, people announce time, date and place to meet up and ride. For road biking they do same along with a posting a link for the route that was created in Ride with GPS that can be downloaded onto numerous bike computers. If anyone wants to track where anyone else is at you can use Garmin live tracking or there is an app called Glympse.

Then if you develop an app and charge a monthly subscription fee...less people are going to want to use it.
Old 06-16-22, 10:28 AM
BikerDev

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I belong to a few private facebook cycling groups. For mountain biking, people announce time, date and place to meet up and ride. For road biking they do same along with a posting a link for the route that was created in Ride with GPS that can be downloaded onto numerous bike computers. If anyone wants to track where anyone else is at you can use Garmin live tracking or there is an app called Glympse.

Then if you develop an app and charge a monthly subscription fee...less people are going to want to use it.
Most new to market products already exist in one form or another but the way it has been approached from a UX and implementation point of view is what makes it stand out from the crowd.

We don’t intend to charge the user, we’re thinking more along the lines of charging the organisers. We want to be able to offer the service free to cyclists.

The implementation you are referring to requires a number of different services and products. We’d like a single point of entry.
Old 06-16-22, 04:29 PM
PeteHski

Do you find Garmin Livetrack to be reliable or intuitive? A few of us use it occasionally (or at least attempt to use it) and I find it hard work to configure and prone to failure. I honestly find the whole Garmin software hard work and I only tolerate it because there aren't many alternatives. If Apple made bike head units I'm pretty sure I'd switch instantly.
Old 06-16-22, 04:43 PM
BikerDev

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you find Garmin Livetrack to be reliable or intuitive? A few of us use it occasionally (or at least attempt to use it) and I find it hard work to configure and prone to failure. I honestly find the whole Garmin software hard work and I only tolerate it because there aren't many alternatives. If Apple made bike head units I'm pretty sure I'd switch instantly.
If you get the time, I'd be really curious to know how you'd compare our version of live tracking vs Garmin.
No need to consider other parts of the app, just simply create an account (it would be impossible to do live tracking without this and it's free) hook up with a few friends and simply share your location with each other and see what you think. As I mentioned previously, we don't store any privacy data, we have no interest in that, and if you want to delete your account, you can simply do so in settings and it's immediate and your account is fully wiped, there's zero possibility to retrieve it!
No worries if not but I'd definitely value your opinion. Just search for Zuvolo on the App Store if you're interested. Many thanks.
Old 06-16-22, 05:21 PM
PeteHski

If you get the time, I'd be really curious to know how you'd compare our version of live tracking vs Garmin.
No need to consider other parts of the app, just simply create an account (it would be impossible to do live tracking without this and it's free) hook up with a few friends and simply share your location with each other and see what you think. As I mentioned previously, we don't store any privacy data, we have no interest in that, and if you want to delete your account, you can simply do so in settings and it's immediate and your account is fully wiped, there's zero possibility to retrieve it!
No worries if not but I'd definitely value your opinion. Just search for Zuvolo on the App Store if you're interested. Many thanks.
I'd be happy to give that a try, but it's only going to work for me when cycling if I can see the location data directly on my Garmin head unit. When riding my phone is hidden in my back pocket. But I will try it off the bike to see how it functions and it could still be pretty useful to locate other riders on the map when stopping at feed stations or cafes etc.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-17-22, 01:50 AM
BikerDev

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd be happy to give that a try, but it's only going to work for me when cycling if I can see the location data directly on my Garmin head unit. When riding my phone is hidden in my back pocket. But I will try it off the bike to see how it functions and it could still be pretty useful to locate other riders on the map when stopping at feed stations or cafes etc.
Thanks PeteHski - yes totally get where you’re coming from in terms of phone hidden away. In the past, we have tended to use it just as you suggested, leave the app running whilst phone is locked and then take it out when needed to see where buddies are, your friends can obviously also do the same to find out whereabouts you are as well. We find it nice to have the bigger screen for a broader overview of everyone.
Old 06-17-22, 03:37 AM
PeteHski

Thanks PeteHski - yes totally get where you’re coming from in terms of phone hidden away. In the past, we have tended to use it just as you suggested, leave the app running whilst phone is locked and then take it out when needed to see where buddies are, your friends can obviously also do the same to find out whereabouts you are as well. We find it nice to have the bigger screen for a broader overview of everyone.
Sounds ideal. A group of us are doing the L'Etape du Tour Sportive next month, so this will be perfect for keeping track of where everyone is.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-17-22, 07:38 AM
prj71

I've had no problem with it at all and have found the Garmin software easy to use. Seems pretty straight forward. Start livetrack and and share the link with whoever you want.

Me and few friends sometimes use Glympse as well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US
Old 06-17-22, 05:57 PM
PeteHski

I've had no problem with it at all and have found the Garmin software easy to use. Seems pretty straight forward. Start livetrack and and share the link with whoever you want.

Me and few friends sometimes use Glympse as well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US
I have my Garmin set up to start Livetrack automatically, but it often doesn't start for no obvious reason. If I ride with say half a dozen people, chances of everyone getting Livetrack to work first time are slim at best. When it does work it's okay, but I wouldn't say it's intuitive. I think Garmin software is a bug-ridden dog's dinner of a mess on all sorts of levels. But that's been discussed at length elsewhere. I use it because ultimately it does what I need, but it's not particularly nice to use.
Old 06-18-22, 07:12 AM
BikerDev

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds ideal. A group of us are doing the L'Etape du Tour Sportive next month, so this will be perfect for keeping track of where everyone is.
PeteHski we ran an event this morning for cyclists. Thought I’d post a screenshot of how the riders look to show you how the app looks when viewing other riders. They were obviously in ‘event mode’ in the app so all riders were visible. But when you just share with friends it’s a similar experience but just a few of you on the map without the countdown and other buttons.

Zuvolo app.
Likes For BikerDev:
Old 06-20-22, 09:15 AM
prj71

I have my Garmin set up to start Livetrack automatically, but it often doesn't start for no obvious reason. If I ride with say half a dozen people, chances of everyone getting Livetrack to work first time are slim at best. When it does work it's okay, but I wouldn't say it's intuitive. I think Garmin software is a bug-ridden dog's dinner of a mess on all sorts of levels. But that's been discussed at length elsewhere. I use it because ultimately it does what I need, but it's not particularly nice to use.
Interesting. I have not experienced that with my Edge530 and Garmin Connect.