Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Is There a "Single Power Button" Lighting SYSTEM Available These Days?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 06-25-22, 05:09 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts

Having been hit during the night hours, I typically use two 750 lumen headlights combined with 3 Cygolite Hotshots in the rear.

The rear of my helmet also has a custom mounted Niterider Solas, used in extremely hazardous conditions.

If you've ever been rear ended and had spinal injuries, you'll understand that drivers need to be overly alerted to your presence.

They're programmed to look for cars, not bikes!

I do most of my errands on bike and often need to power down all my lights upon arriving at the store, etc......only to have to power all of them back on again, upon leaving.

I sometimes make several stops and as you can imagine, that's a lot of time spent pushing and holding down buttons!

I've been a little out of the bike lighting "loop" so I'm wondering if there is some sort of SYSTEM out there now, where all the lights are (or can be) rigged to one switch...???

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by michaelm101; 06-25-22 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-25-22, 05:27 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
Yes buy a garmin or such then buy a bunch of ANT+ lights turn the garmin on and all the lights come on and garmin will notify you when batteries are low. the way the light can change with daylight and night changes too.
Old 06-26-22, 07:29 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Cateye Sync.

Another approach: dynamo hub and wired-in headlights and safety lights. Bike moves, lights come on. You can get the ones where the lights stay on for a while (stand lights) when you're stopped at an intersection.
Old 06-26-22, 08:55 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelm101
I've been a little out of the bike lighting "loop" so I'm wondering if there is some sort of SYSTEM out there now, where all the lights are (or can be) rigged to one switch...???

Thanks in advance!
A Garmin with an ANT+ light network (eg: Garmin's own headlight and radar/tail light, Bontrager lights) will do this, so if you put your Garmin to sleep (or shut it down) the lights will go off, and when you power it back up, they will come back on.

The main problem is that the Garmin and all of the lights are high-value theft targets.