Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Unjustly Maligned Shimano M-700SP RD

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-22, 09:35 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts

I have read several accounts here and elsewhere equating the Shimano Deore 'Deerhead" Super Plate (M-700SP) derailleurs to Suntour Mountech of the same vintage; and in doing so, implying they should be trashed as they gum-up and are effectively unserviceable. I have found this to be untrue.

Backstory:

I picked up an original '85 Schwinn Cimarron last year that was well taken care of, but also reasonably well used. The second owner from which I had purchased it had bought it from a doctor in the early 1990's. The bike clearly had been sitting for a while. My intention was/is to upgrade my current utility bike ('85 Schwinn Sierra) and I have finally gotten around to stripping it down for a thorough re-build before pressing it into service. The M-700SP RD was VERY full of crud. Although the pullies would turn, it would not drop into the bottom two gears. I was left with the dilemma as to wanting to keep it relatively original, but the rear derailleur clearly needed a full tear-down which conventional wisdom would suggest is a waste of time.

Differences between the M-700SP and the Mountech:

I have rebuilt Mountechs before...sometimes even successfully, but it is a royal pain. In looking at the M700, there are some clear differences. First, the upper jockey wheel on the Mountech is plastic, but it is steel on the SP. I have seen many a Mountech where the upper jockey wheel was trashed, broken, or even missing. Once the jockey wheel locked up, it was metal (chain) vs plastic (jockey wheel) and metal always wins. Secondly, the lower pivot spring in the Mountech is actually a clock-spring sort of affair within the upper jockey wheel. The chain provides an ample amounts of crud that, over time, accumulates inside the jockey/pivot mechanism, gumming that up and the derailleur no longer tensions properly. This is also a real PIA to re-construct once it is cleaned.

The SP is different. While both derailleurs have a third sprung point for the jockey cage (which is why they are probably considered the same), where the Mountech has a 3rd spring, the SP has a cable that connects it to the lower spring such that both pivot points operate from a single spring within the derailleur body, thus eliminating the third spring. There is really little or no room for crud to accumulate inside the upper jockey wheel, and if it did, the impacts would be far less significant.

Noticing this, I decided to simply re-build the derailleur and see how hard it would be compared to any other derailleurs. What else would I have to lose other than an hour or two?

Tear-down was relatively simple. Thankfully there is a complete diagram for the M-700SP on Disaeli Gears to work from. There was enough crud in the lower cage that I was not sure what was plastic and what was just caked on grease and dirt.

After three 20-minute sessions in an ultrasonic cleaner and further touch-up with degreaser, putting it back together was simple. I will further note that while it is a little more effort than a standard derailleur, the upper pully can be removed and cleaned out without completely taking the derailleur apart.

Here is the rebuilt derailleur, ready for another 35-years, hopefully.

Last edited by balindamood; 06-23-22 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-23-22, 10:02 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Well I'm not normally a fan of them either just because but the Ritchey build required their consideration as I had them in stock and just about any C+V MTB build discussion brings them up.

Mine were not too bad and I tore them down as to shine them up the best I could, the rear is not a specific Deerhead but same as or very close I think. the front is a Deerhead and the better condition of the 2 I had in stock. Both cleaned up well and seemed to adjust and function just fine with very little drama.

So they work fine and look the part as they should. I always think things like this are dependent on the skill and maintenance of the operator, if you're going to muck them up and ignore them, they will protest like many things. You can bet many who raced with them learned soon enough that you will take care of them or else, they seem to work well if maintained, its not rocket science or surgery.

Likes For merziac:
Old 06-24-22, 07:31 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Wow, a Superplate teardown!! I don't think I've ever seen inside one.

Is the top pulley of yours all-metal? Or just the "fence" riveted to it? Some of them (earlier ones I guess) had a plastic "fence" on the pulley and these were prone to coming apart. Not sure how shifting performance was affected by that, but it must be there for a reason.

I toured on a Superplate in the early 2000s, which I guess is like touring on a M952 XTR today?? It worked fine! Even survived the 2001 tornado in Siren WI. We were camped nearby but luckily the campground was not hit directly. I remember the sky turning green, our tents being blown down on top of us, and seeing lightning and hearing thunder at the exact same time. A testament to the Superplate mech's durability!
Old 06-24-22, 10:28 AM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Originally Posted by scarlson
Wow, a Superplate teardown!! I don't think I've ever seen inside one.

Is the top pulley of yours all-metal? Or just the "fence" riveted to it?
Yes. The top pully is all metal. Seems to be a steel outer ring riveted to a steel pully wheel. That one piece is almost as heavy as the entire derailleur body.
Old 06-24-22, 02:35 PM
flipchip
Chipper

Bikes: Commencal Stewart, Lemond Buenos Airies

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Well I'm not normally a fan of them either just because but the Ritchey build required their consideration as I had them in stock and just about any C+V MTB build discussion brings them up.

Mine were not too bad and I tore them down as to shine them up the best I could, the rear is not a specific Deerhead but same as or very close I think. the front is a Deerhead and the better condition of the 2 I had in stock. Both cleaned up well and seemed to adjust and function just fine with very little drama.

So they work fine and look the part as they should. I always think things like this are dependent on the skill and maintenance of the operator, if you're going to muck them up and ignore them, they will protest like many things. You can bet many who raced with them learned soon enough that you will take care of them or else, they seem to work well if maintained, its not rocket science or surgery.

Holy how tall are you? Those wheels almost look like 20 inchers on that frame.
Old 06-24-22, 02:43 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by flipchip
Holy how tall are you? Those wheels almost look like 20 inchers on that frame.
Yeah, I get that a lot, no sense of humor about fit, I never raced or wanted to be hunched over at all. I go to great lengths to get the bars in my comfort zone.

6 ft tall, 38 in inseam, my daily rider is a 66cm so....

Likes For merziac:
Old 06-24-22, 03:59 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
The problem with mine was that the little internal linkage that's made out of a cable and two little cable ends had snapped. If that little cable goes then you are SOL unless you make yourself a whole new linkage somehow. I would be fine running one otherwise. They are pretty cool except for that stupid little point of failure.
Old 06-24-22, 04:17 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
its not rocket science or surgery.
There goes any self-esteem I had left as a bike wrench.
Old 06-24-22, 04:18 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by tricky
The problem with mine was that the little internal linkage that's made out of a cable and two little cable ends had snapped. If that little cable goes then you are SOL unless you make yourself a whole new linkage somehow. I would be fine running one otherwise. They are pretty cool except for that stupid little point of failure.
Used to be some motorcycle shops made cables from scratch, pretty sure some restorers still do it, whether they can or will do this would be the question.
Old 06-24-22, 06:24 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Used to be some motorcycle shops made cables from scratch, pretty sure some restorers still do it, whether they can or will do this would be the question.
I've watched a few vids about how to do it. It would of course need to be adapted to the tiny little cable ends on that linkage though. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...orcycle+cables
Old 06-24-22, 06:30 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by tricky
I've watched a few vids about how to do it. It would of course need to be adapted to the tiny little cable ends on that linkage though. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...orcycle+cables
You might be able to start with a standard brake cable, trim the barrel end as it looks to be a smaller version of that and then only have to cast the other one.
Likes For merziac:
Old 06-25-22, 01:42 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Originally Posted by balindamood
Yes. The top pully is all metal. Seems to be a steel outer ring riveted to a steel pully wheel. That one piece is almost as heavy as the entire derailleur body.
I think that the overbuilt steel pulley may have been a later update, based on experience with the plastic ones degrading on Shimano Superplate and possibly even the competing Suntour Mountech derailleurs. Although I'm not sure if there ever were all-plastic versions, I'm sure early ones came with a plastic outer ring (or as I called it, a "fence"). But I'm not sure if there ever was a plastic pulley as well. This is probably the secret to these things holding up. The Mountech pulley was plastic and degraded horribly after very little use.
Old 06-25-22, 01:45 PM
scarlson 

You might be able to start with a standard brake cable, trim the barrel end as it looks to be a smaller version of that and then only have to cast the other one.
I don't like casting cable ends. Casting is finicky. If it's a simple shape, I usually will crimp a piece of brass or copper around the cable (in approximately the right shape) and then solder it on, and finish up with some filing. This usually works and requires less dedication than casting.
Old 06-25-22, 01:53 PM
merziac

I don't like casting cable ends. Casting is finicky. If it's a simple shape, I usually will crimp a piece of brass or copper around the cable (in approximately the right shape) and then solder it on, and finish up with some filing. This usually works and requires less dedication than casting.
I know its tricky, mc shops used to do it all the time, never seemed like a good idea to me, oldschool craftsmanship lost to the sands of time like so many things.

This might be a good candidate for that if the recess is not too small, drill a hole in a small piece of tubing, jam the cable in and go one way or the other, cut it flush and solder it up.
Old 06-25-22, 03:38 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

I think that the overbuilt steel pulley may have been a later update, based on experience with the plastic ones degrading on Shimano Superplate and possibly even the competing Suntour Mountech derailleurs. Although I'm not sure if there ever were all-plastic versions, I'm sure early ones came with a plastic outer ring (or as I called it, a "fence"). But I'm not sure if there ever was a plastic pulley as well. This is probably the secret to these things holding up. The Mountech pulley was plastic and degraded horribly after very little use.
This derailure has a Jan '85 date code. The only other deerhead bike i have down right now is not a super plate. I will have to climb up in the barn and look at the '83 and '85 Montare and the '85 Ascent and see what they have. Perhaps later this weekend.
Likes For balindamood:
Old 06-25-22, 04:47 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Now I feel the need to take my deerhead RD out of my parts stash and clean it up. But then I'd have to buy a bike for the it . . .

Nice job of explaining what you did to get it running.
Old 06-25-22, 05:35 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Okay. After digging about, I have only one other super plate; also with a steel upper jockey wheel and a 1985 (september) date code.
Likes For balindamood: