Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wheel Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-21, 09:21 AM
High Wheeler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wheel Build

Hi Everyone,
First post so please be lenient if I am overly ignorant or ask stupid questions...well here is my first one ! ;-)) So I have a pair of beautiful high flange record hubs which i would like to lace to a pair of Mavic Open Pros (36H) .Advice on spoke lengths ? and spoke recommendations ? (planning double butted...weight comes second to durability.) and indeed any advice which could be relevant or helpful would be much appreciated please.
Old 10-09-21, 09:29 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Find an online spoke calculator and figure it out. I don't have your rims nor your hubs in front of me so I don't know ERD or hub dimensions. Shoot for 3 cross.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-09-21, 09:34 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,212 Times in 2,361 Posts
Originally Posted by High Wheeler
Hi Everyone,
First post so please be lenient if I am overly ignorant or ask stupid questions...well here is my first one ! ;-)) So I have a pair of beautiful high flange record hubs which i would like to lace to a pair of Mavic Open Pros (36H) .Advice on spoke lengths ? and spoke recommendations ? (planning double butted...weight comes second to durability.) and indeed any advice which could be relevant or helpful would be much appreciated please.
First you have to measure the hub and rim. This article from Park is a good article on the measurements you need. Then you need to put those values into a spoke calculator. My go to is the Pro Wheel Builder calculator . It has data for most current rims and hubs. It’s not that good for vintage stuff (greater than about 10 years). You might check Damon Rinard’s SpokeCalc for older components. SpokeCalc is dated but you can also add your own data to the list.

My preference for spokes to get maximum durability are DT Swiss Alpine III. They are butted with a thicker head which increases strength and durability.

Finally, for building, I prefer Ric Hjertberg’s method. It comes from an old series of articles in Bicycling magazine from 1986. The lacing and tensioning section are still relevant. A link to them is here.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-09-21, 07:29 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Back in the day I was told that Campy NR hubs were made for 15g (1.8mm) spoke elbows. While I agree that 15g spokes fit very well in the Campy hubs of that era I, and many others, have used 14g (2.0mm) spokes with only the slight added spoke bowing needing some "working out" (there's a recent thread on this). But I would want to test fit a 2.3mm spoke end in the actual hub before suggesting it's a best choice, for that hub.

BTW butted spokes generally weigh less then the same length of a straight gage spoke with the same elbow end diameter. The added spring like nature of a skinnier spoke central section means that LH side spokes will be less likely to completely loosen during stress cycles. Andy
Old 10-12-21, 06:56 AM
High Wheeler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
cxwrench
C stands for charme and X for exceptionale ? ;-)) Responses like yours are the reason I am hesitant to join forums. I didn't ask for you to do the job for me ! just advice as I am a novice at wheel building for example ERD ? not a clue. Next time you are feeling as they say in France "mal baise' "perhaps you could keep your 'advice' to yourself.My apologies if I misunderstood your 'English' ?

Last edited by High Wheeler; 10-12-21 at 07:02 AM.
Likes For High Wheeler:
Old 10-12-21, 07:07 AM
High Wheeler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
cyccocommute
brilliant many thanks for all the info and taking time to answer me. People like yourself are the reason I joined Bikeforums.I am set to get on with it ! :-)
Old 10-12-21, 07:11 AM
High Wheeler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As I immerse myself in the project I am sure what you have shared will become more clear to me. Many thanks Andy
Old 10-12-21, 08:05 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I would assume the hubs have already been laced into wheels. It's good practice to look at the hub flanges to see how they were laced up before, and follow that lacing with the new wheels. Doing otherwise can increase the risk of cracks: https://rayhosler.wordpress.com/2011...eath-of-a-hub/
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 10-12-21, 08:30 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
I've used the method in the Park article with success, but it helps to have some spokes and nipples with a known length on hand, plus the digital calipers. You could use analog calipers since the spoke lengths will be rounded to the next closest size, but the digital calipers will prove more useful if you 'fall down the rabbit hole'.

Lacing a 3x 36 hole wheel is covered very well by the late Saint Sheldon and John Allen here. I found the instructions instrumental in getting my first wheels built. That said, there is an art to building a long lasting wheel, which you'll pick up on with some more reading. I think most of those that build their own wheels agree that having spokes very close in tension will result in a long-lasting wheel that doesn't go out of true quickly. Some of us count the turns of the spoke wrench, some of us use the tone the spokes make when plucked (like a harp) and some of us use a spoke tension gauge.
Old 10-12-21, 08:33 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
cxwrench
C stands for charme and X for exceptionale ? ;-)) Responses like yours are the reason I am hesitant to join forums. I didn't ask for you to do the job for me ! just advice as I am a novice at wheel building for example ERD ? not a clue. Next time you are feeling as they say in France "mal baise' "perhaps you could keep your 'advice' to yourself.My apologies if I misunderstood your 'English' ?
HW- Take a chill pill. cwrench said nothing bad or about you. Good information, not personal attacks. Andy
Old 10-12-21, 09:32 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
HW- Take a chill pill. cwrench said nothing bad or about you. Good information, not personal attacks. Andy
To be fair cxwrench could do some chilling as well. If you are going to take the time to respond, why not be helpful? Wheel building is a bit of a daunting task and saying “figure it out for yourself” isn’t helping to make it any less daunting.

To High Wheeler: It helps to develop a thick skin and to learn how to ignore unhelpful individuals. If you like, there is even an “ignore” feature on the User Control Panel (click your avatar)
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-13-21, 03:16 AM
ign1te

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
cxwrench
Pretty sure High Wheeler is a troll account.
Old 10-13-21, 09:02 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by ign1te
Pretty sure High Wheeler is a troll account.
Based on what? A new member asking a fairly routine question about wheel building is not a “troll” post. It’s a simple question about a very unsimple topic.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-13-21, 09:59 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Based on what? A new member asking a fairly routine question about wheel building is not a “troll” post. It’s a simple question about a very unsimple topic.
This is what makes you one of the good ones!
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 10-13-21, 10:52 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,221 Posts
There are a few contributors here that ad a little snark along with advice. You really need to look through it and take out what you need. If this was my first attempt at wheel building I would read through a few googled articles and videos and then come here with more specific questions. My take on CX answer was that 3 cross on a 36 hole rim would be your preferred route. Good luck.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 10-14-21, 12:46 PM
High Wheeler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Belch and fart i do a troll i am not ! Yes I will be less oversensitive.And thank you ALL for saving me from sifting through info on the net that i have no idea of its value and some useful pointers .I will come back to you with some photos when i have got some grease on my elbow.
Old 10-15-21, 08:20 AM
High Wheeler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ign1te