Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tcr advanced disc vs Sprint allez disc

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-13-21, 07:01 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I'm looking for a speed oriented road bike that's not ridiculously pricey, and have it narrowed down to these 2, with potential consideration for a caad12 or 13 disc.

My priorities are speed, price, disc brakes, 12 mm thru axles, and a bb that doesn't talk.

Im looking for feedback from people who have ridden/raced/owned both of these bikes and have opinions or observations on either of these bikes that aren't listed on the websites.
Old 11-14-21, 06:35 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
well... I don't meet your criteria, but I have a rim brake allez sprint. I'll remain objective.
1) the front mech hanger is soft aluminum and not replaceable. Be careful with it.
2) The headset is proprietary and specialized has already discontinued the rim brake version. However, the disc brake version uses a different headset.
3) The ride is fairly rough, mainly due to the aero seatpost. The seat rail (NOT seatpost) clamp mechanism also tends to slip. You'll need to use some sort of grit paste.
4) The bottom bracket is BB30. IME there's nothing bad about it as long as you use a thread-together or one piece BB. The OE praxis got rough really quickly so I went to hambini. I'd recommend that on any pressfit bike.

Less relevant:
5) The praxis crank that came with my allez sprint had serious shifting issues. I was told by the shop to get a shimano crank (and that worked). The disc brake model seems to come with a different praxis crank, though.
6) The spokes that came with my wheels were so flexy that they would touch the rear mech under high torque. The shop's solution was to put a spacer behind my 11 speed cassette (ie, a bodge). I ended up replacing the rear wheel. Again, the disc brake version has different rims so maybe the spokes are also different.

Last edited by smashndash; 11-14-21 at 07:40 PM.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 11-14-21, 07:14 PM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
well... I don't meet your criteria, but I have a rim brake allez sprint. I'll remain objective.
1) the front mech hanger is soft aluminum and not replaceable. Be careful with it.
2) The headset is proprietary and specialized has already discontinued the rim brake version. However, the disc brake version uses a different headset.
3) The ride is fairly rough, mainly due to the aero seatpost. The seatpost clamp mechanism also tends to slip. You'll need to use some sort of grit paste.
4) The bottom bracket is BB30. IME there's nothing bad about it as long as you use a thread-together or one piece BB. The OE praxis got rough really quickly so I went to hambini. I'd recommend that on any pressfit bike.

Less relevant:
5) The praxis crank that came with my allez sprint had serious shifting issues. I was told by the shop to get a shimano crank (and that worked). The disc brake model seems to come with a different praxis crank, though.
6) The spokes that came with my wheels were so flexy that they would touch the rear mech under high torque. The shop's solution was to put a spacer behind my 11 speed cassette (ie, a bodge). I ended up replacing the rear wheel. Again, the disc brake version has different rims so maybe the spokes are also different.
That's a lot of **** ups on a new high end bike 👀
Old 11-14-21, 07:31 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood
That's a lot of **** ups on a new high end bike 👀
you're telling me. I almost got into a fight with the mechanic at the shop because he basically brushed me off saying "this is what you get at this price".

I've replaced literally every part on this bike besides the fork, frame, headset bearings and shifters. And the headset bearings are going once I get my hands on a replacement.
Old 11-14-21, 10:11 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
wow wtf. and the bikes these days aren't even in stock. I think 2022 prices are going to be even more ridiculous. might just get the tcr that's you can actually find
Old 11-15-21, 08:11 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
My wife loves her TCR Disc. I would fully recommend.

I have a rim brake Allez Sprint. The headset issue is real. My headset imploded even though the bike spends 95% of its time on the trainer. I was annoyed to have to buy a complete headset to replace just the stupid lower bearing for it.
Old 11-15-21, 08:57 AM
smashndash

Yeah I have (at least) 2 friends with last-gen TCRs. They have no complaints that I know of.

the new one seems to be a minor evolution over the old
Old 11-15-21, 10:42 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
wow wtf. and the bikes these days aren't even in stock. I think 2022 prices are going to be even more ridiculous. might just get the tcr that's you can actually find
It must have been quite awhile since you've been to a bike shop.

Speed is all on you. Though lighter and aero will help, but at some point there is even a tradeoff between them as aero usually requires more material and therefore a few ounces more weight.

The two in your title have the lower stack heights that will let you get in a more aero position than the other mentioned.
Old 11-15-21, 02:54 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
My wife loves her TCR Disc. I would fully recommend.

I have a rim brake Allez Sprint. The headset issue is real. My headset imploded even though the bike spends 95% of its time on the trainer. I was annoyed to have to buy a complete headset to replace just the stupid lower bearing for it.
Was this a tolerance issue on the frame head tube? I'm struggling with how a headset bearing in 2021 just goes kaput. I'd hate to see how long the BB bearings last. My understanding is specialized has better manufacturing tolerance than most other huge bike companies, but it doesn't sound like that's the case, especially with them going back to the BSA BB for the SL7.
Likes For spectastic:
Old 11-15-21, 04:31 PM
smashndash

Was this a tolerance issue on the frame head tube? I'm struggling with how a headset bearing in 2021 just goes kaput. I'd hate to see how long the BB bearings last. My understanding is specialized has better manufacturing tolerance than most other huge bike companies, but it doesn't sound like that's the case, especially with them going back to the BSA BB for the SL7.
The lower bearing has 0 sealing, basically. The balls are super tiny too. If you get an allez sprint, I would service the headset regularly.

Also the allez sprint has a BB30 shell, which is a dead standard. Nobody actually uses direct fit 6806 bearings with a narrow crank (ie S-Works, original cannondale etc) anymore.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 11-15-21, 07:04 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
As terrible as this sounds, the Allez Sprint is a bargain racer. Every item outside the drive train is spec'd to hit the price point. I know as I have been servicing Specialized bikes at a Specialized dealer for decades. FWIW, Specialized is no more tolerance savvy than any other bike brand.
The frame is a great go faster frame. Building a go faster bike around that frame is doable and will result in a nice performer.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 11-16-21, 10:03 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I can't really say what the issue was. When I built the bike, I left the steer tube long, to make sure I was happy with everything before cutting it too much. After a year or two, I pulled the fork to cut it, and when I did, half of the lower headset bearing came out with the fork. The bearing itself had just come apart. I've never seen anything like it. It just fell apart.

I'll also add that the lower headset bearing came installed in the frame. I originally thought that Specialized had forgot to include it when I got the frameset because it sits fairly high in the headtube.

And because it is an odd size, I had to buy a replacement from Specialized, and they only sell complete headsets.
Old 11-16-21, 09:25 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
well hopefully specialized listens to their customers. maybe they'll go with BSA with the next gen allez sprint. I hope so. But there will also likely to be a price hike, in which case it might just be better to get a tcr now.