Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Damaged bike during test ride - what would you do?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-22, 10:03 AM
Velogoth

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

I had a bit of a nightmare scenario on a recent craigslist purchase of a vintage bike. I'm curious to hear how other people would have handled this situation.

I arrived at this guy's house, and his wife was the only person there. She claimed to have no knowledge or interest in bikes, so I knew from the start I was going to be SOL trying to negotiate price. I was a little annoyed, but the seller and I had previously discussed his firm minimum price, which I had thought was a little on the low side anyway.

So I took the bike for a short test ride. Shame on me for not testing the shifting before riding (I did do my safety ABC check), because when I tried the DT shifter, the chain immediately dropped into the wheel. It broke 4-6 spokes and gouged up the hub pretty good. (I THINK it's salvageable with some filing and polishing.)

I was confused and upset in a lot of ways all at once.
1. I had just completely porked this rear wheel on a test ride.
2. They had me riding a very dangerous bike with no warning.
3. It was an older bike and I should have known to check the shifting.
4. I had never used a DT shifter before, did I do something wrong?
5. This was a CL meetup, so unless I bought the bike this was going to be a very complicated situation, and the seller wasn't even present.
6. I hadn't been planning to re-build this rear wheel, but I also wasn't THAT upset (this was an Ambrosio Elite rim that's famous for being a PITA to mount tires on).

I ended up just buying the bike at the agreed price, since that seemed the simplest solution, and I did really like the bike.
Old 03-15-22, 10:08 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
You broke it, you bought it. That's the right thing to do.

Unless there was specific talk before hand about responsibility and liability. Hopefully you weren't set up for it failing.
Old 03-15-22, 10:22 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Personally, if I were selling or buying a bike from CL used I would provide or bring a simple fluid trainer and skewer. Ride it on the trainer for a minute while shifting the gears and braking. Then I would do the short test ride. This assures that there won't be an in-motion failure that could lead to worse issues, and the owner gets to see first hand any issues instead of it being a trust thing from the test ride.

Hindsight being 20/20, you did the right thing. It just stinks it happened to you, sorry to hear about that. I don't necessarily believe it was your fault at all, but know of no other good solution.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 03-15-22, 10:41 AM
soyabean

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
When someone is trying to pass off a broken bike to me, the only way I'll leave with it is on my lowball offer, or I don't and walk away with a smile.

My spidey senses also pop up red flags at times to ignore a deal. The OP gave an excellent scenario.

I'm never sad walking away empty handed, because it saved my valuable real estate back home for someone better.

Then I look for nearby fast food and take out something yummy to justify my trip out there.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 03-15-22, 10:49 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Eh, not sure I agree. It takes no special skill to shift a bike -- so if it went awry, that was a pre-existing problem. Not the poster's fault.

But I suspect we're not talking about a huge amount of money, and the poster wanted the bike, so the outcome is probably fine.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-15-22, 10:57 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3951 Post(s)
Liked 7,296 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Velogoth
I ended up just buying the bike at the agreed price, since that seemed the simplest solution, and I did really like the bike.
All is good then. Just pretend the malfunction occurred after you bought it, and consider it normal wear and tear.
Old 03-15-22, 10:59 AM
Velogoth

Originally Posted by Koyote
Eh, not sure I agree. It takes no special skill to shift a bike -- so if it went awry, that was a pre-existing problem. Not the poster's fault.

But I suspect we're not talking about a huge amount of money, and the poster wanted the bike, so the outcome is probably fine.
It was a 1986 Miele Beta in good condition, very little wear on drivetrain & rims, just cosmetic paint dings; $250. Full Shimano 600 EX. I figured it was worth that in frame and parts, worst case.
Old 03-15-22, 11:05 AM
Velogoth

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
All is good then. Just pretend the malfunction occurred after you bought it, and consider it normal wear and tear.
A wise response. Thanks.
Likes For Velogoth:
Old 03-15-22, 11:21 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 941 Posts

Unless there was specific talk before hand about responsibility and liability. Hopefully you weren't set up for it failing.
Old 03-15-22, 11:25 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Velogoth
4. I had never used a DT shifter before, did I do something wrong?
The derailleur has stops (like any derailleur). The chain shouldn't go on the inside.

That doesn't mean you couldn't have taken a bit more care to make sure things were operating properly first. But not taking more care doesn't make it your fault.

It's moot anyway because you took the bike. Good luck with it.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 03-15-22, 11:48 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
That's a tricky situation, and one where opinions and finger pointing can be abundant. In my opinion, if the item was being sold "as-is", it becomes the buyer's responsibility to inspect the item and be ginger in the handling of it. If it was described as "runs great" or "just tuned", then that falls on the seller who was either mistaken or dishonest.
Old 03-15-22, 11:52 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by urbanknight
That's a tricky situation, and one where opinions and finger pointing can be abundant. In my opinion, if the item was being sold "as-is", it becomes the buyer's responsibility to inspect the item and be ginger in the handling of it. If it was described as "runs great" or "just tuned", then that falls on the seller who was either mistaken or dishonest.
Let's re-contextualize the situation: suppose you are checking out a used car, and the motor blows while you are on the gentle test drive. Are you responsible for paying to have the engine rebuilt, or for buying the (now non-functioning) car?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-15-22, 11:55 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
I remember seeing a sign in gift shop that read "Nice to look at, nice to behold, but if you break it consider it sold."
Old 03-15-22, 11:57 AM
soyabean

Unless there was specific talk before hand about responsibility and liability.
Exactly.

I make this very clear to anyone test driving my bikes for sale. The buyer must agree completely, or they can't test it.

They are responsible if they crash or drop the bike. Yes, it has happened.

And if they didn't show up in their own car because they commuted over here, they must leave a deposit which is 100% of the sale price.
Old 03-15-22, 12:13 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by soyabean
They are responsible if they crash or drop the bike. Yes, it has happened.
??? The OP didn't crash or drop the bike.
Old 03-15-22, 12:16 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I'd ask for a discount due to the messed up rear wheel.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-15-22, 12:19 PM
soyabean

Originally Posted by njkayaker
??? The OP didn't crash or drop the bike.
I was replying to Iride01 and I was talking about me.

Replies on threads can entice general discussion and need not be specific to the OP.
Old 03-15-22, 12:21 PM
njkayaker

I was replying to Iride01 and I was talking about me.

Replies on threads can entice general discussion and need not be specific to the OP.
Iride01 post didn't make much sense. He said the OP "broke it" (which doesn't exactly seem to be the case).
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 03-15-22, 12:22 PM
soyabean

Iride01 post didn't make any sense.
Yes. And?
Old 03-15-22, 12:24 PM
njkayaker

Yes. And?
Your post agreed with it. So, your post, in the context of this thread, doesn't make much sense either. QED.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 03-15-22, 12:28 PM
soyabean

Your post agreed with it. So, your post, in the context of this thread, doesn't make much sense either. QED.
Good for you.
Old 03-15-22, 12:31 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Good on you OP, that was the right thing to do.

In my own case, anything I list on CL or the like that is test ride/driveable, I specifically ask the interested party on arrival to give me the cash sales price and as post #2 succinctly put it "you break it, you bought it". I also do the same in reverse in that if I am at a sellers looking at something I always have them hold the cash while I test ride, or similarly have my wife there with cash in hand as security.

Sort of a shame that the simple proper setting of a limit screw could have eliminated this as a possibility, but also shame on you for not checking before the ride. Once again thought, kudos on doing the right thing.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 03-15-22, 12:36 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
I haven't done a test ride on any of the C&V bikes I've bought, but then they were all under $500 and I could tell by looking at them and measuring whether or not they'd fit, and since the first thing I'd be doing to them was tearing them down and rebuilding them, how well they were working at that moment is pretty much moot. Hell, one of them had a tire - possibly the ORIGINAL tire from 1982 - where the bead had popped off the rim!

Often C&V bikes are just pulled out of a garage and the tires inflated a bit. Owners might or might not check the brakes and shifting, and in the case of all but one of the C&V bikes I've bought in the last couple years, I wouldn't trust the bike to go and stop properly before I'd worked on it, and this incident highlights why.

In this case, if you want the bike, and the price is affordable for you, I'd just pay it. As my wife says, "Tuition in the school of life."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-15-22, 12:37 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Sort of a shame that the simple proper setting of a limit screw could have eliminated this as a possibility, but also shame on you for not checking before the ride. Once again thought, kudos on doing the right thing.
I'm still not understanding why that is the OP's responsibility. By that logic, I should check the oil level in a used car before test driving it. Does anyone do that?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-15-22, 12:38 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Good on you OP, that was the right thing to do.

In my own case, anything I list on CL or the like that is test ride/driveable, I specifically ask the interested party on arrival to give me the cash sales price and as post #2 succinctly put it "you break it, you bought it". I also do the same in reverse in that if I am at a sellers looking at something I always have them hold the cash while I test ride, or similarly have my wife there with cash in hand as security.

The OP's situation is a bit fuzzy. It's not clearly the OP's fault like "crashing or dropping" the bike would be.

But, for example, if a pedal broke off in careful testing and the seller pulled the "you broke it, you bought it" line, they would probably have to learn to breathe with a bike up their nose.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-16-22 at 12:28 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.