Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Maynard to Lowell using Assabet River Rail Trail to Bruce Freeman Trail

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Maynard to Lowell using Assabet River Rail Trail to Bruce Freeman Trail

Old 09-07-22, 09:24 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
That crossing is the worst--it's totally unclear which way you are supposed to cross to stay on the bike path as neither the lights nor the crosswalk line up that way. I've probably done that crossing 20 times, and I still don't know what they expected bicyclists to do there.
yeah, now I just turn around at the Center Brickhouse Pizza Restaurant. not worth the hassle of all the road crossings
Old 09-07-22, 09:47 AM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I park here sometimes

Is that designated trail parking? Not doubting you, it's just that the Grist Mill condos are fairly new and I always assumed it was residents only in there. The Ginger Ale plaza (bank, Bertucci's etc.) is strictly anti trail users, to the point that they barricaded the access stairs to the trail, that's why I pointed out the designated lot by the CCA.
Likes For EVlove:
Old 09-07-22, 09:52 AM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

yeah, now I just turn around at the Center Brickhouse Pizza Restaurant. not worth the hassle of all the road crossings
The two crossings in Chelmsford center are both terrible but the stretch past that into Lowell is actually nice and leafy again, I was surprised. The tunnel at the very end is iffy wearing shades, not worth it IMO unless continuing into Lowell on the roads.
Likes For EVlove:
Old 09-07-22, 11:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by EVlove
The two crossings in Chelmsford center are both terrible but the stretch past that into Lowell is actually nice and leafy again, I was surprised. The tunnel at the very end is iffy wearing shades, not worth it IMO unless continuing into Lowell on the roads.

I ride down from Nashua and just head south from Rte.4 on the trail from the Brick House. I've given up on the Lowell end of the trail because it's just not enough riding to justify the crappy crossings. The extension on the south end to Concord is pretty good, though.
Old 09-08-22, 03:44 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Is that designated trail parking? Not doubting you, it's just that the Grist Mill condos are fairly new and I always assumed it was residents only in there. The Ginger Ale plaza (bank, Bertucci's etc.) is strictly anti trail users, to the point that they barricaded the access stairs to the trail, that's why I pointed out the designated lot by the CCA.
I always thought it was OK to park there I would have to look at the signage again. I've seen other ppl w/ bikes park there. can you show me that parking you're suggesting another way? maybe with a top view from google I just can't picture where it is & what CCA stands for. please excuse my ignorance, I just woke up :-)
Old 09-08-22, 06:53 AM
EVlove

I always thought it was OK to park there I would have to look at the signage again. I've seen other ppl w/ bikes park there. can you show me that parking you're suggesting another way? maybe with a top view from google I just can't picture where it is & what CCA stands for. please excuse my ignorance, I just woke up :-)
Gladly. CCA is Chelmsford Center for the Arts, sorry. Nice parking lot but very easy to miss from Route 4/North Road. Here's Chelmsford center in all its weirdness. The restaurant symbol at bottom left is the Brickhouse.

Likes For EVlove:
Old 09-08-22, 09:10 AM
rumrunn6

Gladly. CCA is Chelmsford Center for the Arts, sorry. Nice parking lot but very easy to miss from Route 4/North Road. Here's Chelmsford center in all its weirdness. The restaurant symbol at bottom left is the Brickhouse.

3 road crossings just to start yer bike ride ... yeah, not gonna do that!

I love Massachusetts but Ariel views, of some of their intersections, are just to darn amusing

THANK YOU!

BTW I have been in that center, for a piano recital! most enjoyable!
Old 09-08-22, 09:32 AM
EVlove

3 road crossings just to start yer bike ride ... yeah, not gonna do that!
Not really, one road (admittedly with a slow pedestrian light), two stretches of sidewalk across driveways. It's not that bad. I prefer parking in the shade and away from the constant coming and going over at the restaurant. During the summer it just gets too busy there, and driving in and out of the restaurant lot right by the light can be a challenge. See the shaded box? Yeah, most drivers have no clue what that is for.
Old 09-08-22, 09:46 AM
rumrunn6

Not really, one road (admittedly with a slow pedestrian light), two stretches of sidewalk across driveways. It's not that bad. I prefer parking in the shade and away from the constant coming and going over at the restaurant. During the summer it just gets too busy there, and driving in and out of the restaurant lot right by the light can be a challenge. See the shaded box? Yeah, most drivers have no clue what that is for.
ok right those are parking lots thank you I might give that lot a try. & yeah leaving that rest. Parking lot is weird. What do you know about that shaded box?
Old 09-08-22, 02:31 PM
EVlove

What do you know about that shaded box?
I should have said cross-hatched. At the light on 110 that's also the enter and exit for the restaurant, and the other businesses there. I avoid that lot. Even if drivers remember to leave the box clear (and many don't), it's not obvious at which part of the light cycle one is supposed to pull in/out, and chances are somebody gets annoyed in the process.
Likes For EVlove: