Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cantilever Nostalgists: Kool Stop MTB Pads

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-20, 07:23 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts

Refusing to let go of my 1996 GT Outpost MTB as a commuter, touring bike, and everything else bike, I just replaced the Shimano Altus cantilever arms with a set of Tektro Oryx cantilevers, which made a big difference. However, the real improvement is the set of Kool Stop MTB pads (black) I just installed yesterday.

I have always been pretty much satisfied with my GT's braking abilities, but now I am almost a little TOO satisfied, as I'm finding I might have to re-train my hands to compensate for all the extra grip these pads bring with them!

I've ridden V-Brakes and I've heard all about disc brakes and I'm sure both have their advantages, but if you are wistful for old times and you don't want to give up your cantilevers, do yourself a favor and grab a set of these. They come in threaded and non-threaded and in black, salmon (wet weather), or a black/salmon combination. Heads-up, though, they are very long pads and might interfere with using a wider tire and narrow fork. I had been using (and loving) Schwalbe Big Apples on my bike and now, between the beefier Tektro cantilevers, the long Kool Stop pads, and my narrow 1990's front fork, I've had to switch to a more narrow tire. Not a big hardship for me, but possibly a dealbreaker for others.
Old 07-26-20, 11:13 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
It's been common knowledge for a few decades that both fresh pads and Kool Stop's in particular improve braking performance. Andy
Old 07-26-20, 12:36 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I am a fan of both cantilever brakes and Kool Stop pads; I have cantis on all of my bikes except for the one that uses HS33 hydraulic rim brakes, and that one has Kool Stop pads.
Old 07-26-20, 12:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cross and the recent City pads are shorter .. they have a version with full length V brake Spacer stack of domed & cupped washers..

the Cross pad holder.. uses The Dura Ace style pad replacement... as does TRP Adjust (toe) in place plain post..
As it was Magura had Kool Stop Mold the rubber & ship them to Germany, where they glued the back on..
Now KS makes HS 33 pads complete.. including a special compound for unicycles..

https://www.koolstop.com/english/rim_pads.html

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-26-20 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-26-20, 05:40 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
It's been common knowledge for a few decades that both fresh pads and Kool Stop's in particular improve braking performance. Andy
Thanks for pointing that out. To clarify, I have been through three different sets of brand new pads in a couple of weeks and the Kool Stop MTB's are far and above the best of all of them.
Old 07-26-20, 07:55 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
In my years the first "upgraded" pads were the Scott Mathouser (sp) ones available in both inserts and their unique bonded to finned shoes. Predated KS by a lot of years, although now KS produces them (or at least so I believe). Small world. I ran the SMs for a few decades and still have some spares. However these days I find the Shimano OEM pads to be as good as I need and until the various sets i have in duty wear out I'm good. Andy (who has a few cantis but no linear pulls in service.)
Old 07-26-20, 09:46 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
I met Richard Everett, the founder of Kool Stop, at Interbike years ago, and he told me Scott Matthauser hired him to develop a brake pad compound back in the '70's, which would become the famous salmon colored pad compound with iron oxide in it. His company, Kool Stop, came later....I'm a little fuzzy on the timeline, but Scott Matthauser went out of business and Kool Stop even approached the (previous?) owners about using the SM name at one point. At the time I talked to Mr. Everett, he was most excited about Kool Stop's dual compound, all conditions pads, the ones that are part salmon compound, part black compound. Personally, I prefer just the salmon compound for rim brakes.

This was years ago, and my memory is not 100% clear on the conversation I had with Mr. Everett, other than I do remember he was extremely nice and was pleased that I was interested in the history of his company.
Old 07-27-20, 05:48 AM
Papa Tom

I initially tried to get the salmon/black compound, but the company I ordered from sent the all-black ones in error, plus they sent me a set with un-threaded posts. While waiting for the correct ones, someone talked me into the all-black ones, as I only ride in the rain if I get caught in it, which is almost never. I changed my order and now have a set of all-black, threaded Kool Stop MTB pads, which I am loving so far.

The seller told me to keep the un-threaded ones, so if anybody needs them, make me an offer that will at least cover the shipping cost.