Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Everyone Waves? (just an intro)

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 03-25-22, 07:48 AM
DoDAH

Bikes: Catrike Villager

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Brand new here. Brand new (again) to cycling. Brand new to Bent cycling. Decided I was long overdue for getting back into shape. Started reading about trikes a week or so ago and pulled the trigger on a Catrike Villager. Brought it home yesterday, took a quick dusk tour down the street and back, then got up this morning and rode around the block (about 2 miles). EVERYONE looks, smiles, waves. Almost as friendly as when I'm on my Harley! These things are a) FUN b) bring out the best in people and c) would be a lot easier to get around in with about 25 pounds less around my midsection...which is one of the reasons I got it! Looking forward to some insight from all you brilliant veterans here.
Likes For DoDAH:
Old 03-25-22, 08:31 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Rides a Catrike Villager and a Harley? That's quite a contrast. People eventually get used to seeing you on the trike if you ride regularly. I can't count the number of times I have heard, "I see you everywhere." when I stop at a garage sale for a quick look. Not really true as most of my rides were within about a 10 mile radius from my home. It is nice however to hear the words, "I see you." which should put to rest the frequent (and quite idiotic) claim that when you ride a trike you suddenly become invisible to others on the road.
Old 03-25-22, 09:28 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Welcome yes trikes do get some added attention from the general public. Take your time build up the miles slowly it took me 150 miles to get my "recumbent legs. Add accessories you need to carry needed items lights and a flag tire pump spare tube Allen wrenches water bottles or Camelback bag some snacks etc. Most of all have FUN!👍😁

Old 03-27-22, 01:55 PM
DoDAH

Bikes: Catrike Villager

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bjjoondo
Welcome yes trikes do get some added attention from the general public. Take your time build up the miles slowly it took me 150 miles to get my "recumbent legs. Add accessories you need to carry needed items lights and a flag tire pump spare tube Allen wrenches water bottles or Camelback bag some snacks etc. Most of all have FUN!👍😁
Thanks for the accessory tips!
Old 04-12-22, 03:22 PM
Radsboy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I've been riding around here for 10 days or so and I have a similar experience: People wave, give me a wide berth, and smile. I have a bright helmet, flag, and a blinking tail light. So far so good!

TerraTrike Maverick; I love it!