Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dogs, dogs, and more dogs!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Dogs, dogs, and more dogs!

Old 09-19-22, 07:33 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 2,297 Times in 1,109 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Kidding - but mentioning Pekes made me get a bit heartbroken over my Buttercup -- she passed last year from natural causes but epitomized "little dog syndrome" when she was younger
I understand. We had to say goodbye to my wife's first Peke Jack a little over a year ago. He didn't know he was my wife's dog and he thought he was mine. I shed more than a few tears when he passed. The newer Peke we got just a few months before Jack died. She is starting to think she is mine too and goes out on the patio with me when I come in from a run to cool down like Jack did and hops in the car and refuses to get out demanding a ride around the block.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 09-19-22, 08:47 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,583 Times in 2,897 Posts
I don’t see any dogs.

Old 09-19-22, 10:07 PM
Cyclcist11023131
Banned.

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Dogs

Today I came across unpleasant free range Dogs. They did not like Bear Spray. Just a tiny splash and they were done chasing me. I would hope it dissuades them from chasing Bikes at all.
Old 09-20-22, 10:34 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I understand. We had to say goodbye to my wife's first Peke Jack a little over a year ago. He didn't know he was my wife's dog and he thought he was mine. I shed more than a few tears when he passed. The newer Peke we got just a few months before Jack died. She is starting to think she is mine too and goes out on the patio with me when I come in from a run to cool down like Jack did and hops in the car and refuses to get out demanding a ride around the block.

That is a very demanding face !

Pekes have the ability to bring people together !

One of the selling points of my lady (Occasional Fiance' ) was she has a PEke named Annie as well !

I had a household of cute faces that played well, but at the same time were mistrusting and competitive with each other at the same time ! --

-- Annie -

Likes For DMC707:
Old 09-20-22, 09:18 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I'm in IL.... The people here are pretty good about keeping the dogs on a short leash. Even without ever seeing it happen firsthand, I think most people can visualize in their minds what might happen if a bike strikes an outstretched leash midway between a dog and its walker.
I can tell you what happens on a crushed limestone path, and the result of being 'clotherslined' by a long dog leash aren't pretty. I spent a few hours in an emergency department getting all the grit and other crap out of my badly scraped skin after being 'clotheslined' by a long thin black dog leash that was invisible = dog walker on one side of the trail and the dog just out of sight on the other side of the trail. I now avoid MUPs and rail-trails where such inconsiderate dog walkers are. I find the nearby country roads to be a lot safer.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 09-20-22, 09:25 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Dogs and bikes

This thread title reminded me about these two images I save a long time ago.

Enjoy.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 09-21-22, 05:00 AM
rvman

Bikes: Jamis commuter 2 , engwe EP-2 Pro 750 watt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
Dogs can be a nuisance but all you really need to do is squirt them in the face with your water bottle and their pursuit usually ends right there.. Some carry mace but I find a blast of water runs them off just as well..
this is exactly how I deal with dogs. Works good.
Old 09-21-22, 06:47 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I like dogs better than eBikes.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-21-22, 07:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I had a Great Dane come at me two days ago. I ignored him. He didn’t chase me down because he saw I was moving away from “his” turf. I was going uphill on a fully loaded bike, so it’s not like I could have outrun him. It was probably the third type of encounter in as many days.

Could it possibly be that dogs aren’t usually trying to harms us? For the ones who get too close, as squirt of water (as mentioned above) or yelling at them really loudly has always worked for me. Show them who’s top dog.

My last dog encounter actually looked like it was scary at first. I'm riding down a MUP when all of a sudden two big dogs are running directly at me from the opposite direction, barking and growling. I really had only three choices--try to ride through them, try a quick turnaround, or stop and hold my ground. I chose to stop, and put the bike between them and me, holding it up like a shield, yelling at them, and waving it like I was going to hit them with it. They immediately both sat up, looking at me and wagging their tails. I swear they thought I was going to play fetch with the bike (they had that "Throw it! Throw it!" look). At that point, I laughed, got back on the bike and rode between them. They trotted behind me a few feet, but clearly got bored and went onto the next person looking for someone to play.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-21-22, 07:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,474 Times in 7,312 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
My last dog encounter actually looked like it was scary at first. I'm riding down a MUP when all of a sudden two big dogs are running directly at me from the opposite direction, barking and growling. I really had only three choices--try to ride through them, try a quick turnaround, or stop and hold my ground. I chose to stop, and put the bike between them and me, holding it up like a shield, yelling at them, and waving it like I was going to hit them with it. They immediately both sat up, looking at me and wagging their tails. I swear they thought I was going to play fetch with the bike (they had that "Throw it! Throw it!" look). At that point, I laughed, got back on the bike and rode between them. They trotted behind me a few feet, but clearly got bored and went onto the next person looking for someone to play.
Maybe the solution for some people is to carry a sacrificial mini-pump to use a fetch stick.
Old 09-21-22, 07:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Maybe the solution for some people is to carry a sacrificial mini-pump to use a fetch stick.
Or a golf club.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-21-22, 08:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,474 Times in 7,312 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Or a golf club.

But how would one carry a gold club? Maybe I should start a thread asking?
Likes For indyfabz: