Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano brake rotor compatibility?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-23-22, 12:15 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts

I have a 2022 Trek Emonda with SM-RT800-S rotors (the closed face style). Apparently, they are either out of stock or no longer made? What is the direct replacement? I found Shimano XT/Ultegra RT-MT800 Disc Rotors, will that work? Thanks!
Old 09-23-22, 12:58 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
RT-MT800 is a Deore series rotor for mountain bikes. Not Ultegra. Did you mix up the number? Or is RT-MT800 what you are actually asking about?

Here is the current compatibility chart from Shimano.
https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/co...460&acid=C-461

Probably best to go in on what ever your brake caliper model is and then look at the rotors that are supposed to be compatible with it. If your stuff is older than this, then look in the archive which is a link at the top.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-23-22, 04:05 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
ANY rotor that's the same size and attachment method will work. You could use SRAM or whatever if that's all you could find.
Old 09-23-22, 04:15 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
RT-MT800 is a Deore series rotor for mountain bikes. Not Ultegra. Did you mix up the number? Or is RT-MT800 what you are actually asking about?

Here is the current compatibility chart from Shimano.
https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/co...460&acid=C-461

Probably best to go in on what ever your brake caliper model is and then look at the rotors that are supposed to be compatible with it. If your stuff is older than this, then look in the archive which is a link at the top.
Thanks for the chart!! I was asking about the RT-MT800 as it was marked compatible on an online store. I see is is compatible on the chart as well even though a "mtb" rotor. It looks like Shimano has introduced a new road rotor to replace the SM-RT800 called RT-CL800 in Ultegra, or in Dura Ace, the RT-CL900...
Old 09-23-22, 05:41 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
ANY rotor that's the same size and attachment method will work. You could use SRAM or whatever if that's all you could find.
That's pretty much it. As long as the diameter and attachment method (6-bolt or Centerlock) match it will fit. Another consideration is pad compatibility. Some rotors are specified for resin pads only while others allow metallic or semi-metallic pads also. Finally, more elaborate rotors have light weight centers, cooling fins, and other enhancements while less expensive rotors are just a stamped one piece disc.
Likes For HillRider: