Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Seating tires with air compressor. Adapter?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-22, 04:07 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts

I've recently gone to tubeless and need to find an adapter for my air compressor for seating tires. My air compressor has a Schrader attachment, but the tube has to have that nub in the center for it to release air into the tube. Those adapters you can screw onto the Schrader valve don't have anything to open up the valve on the Schrader compressor adapter. What is the adapter I need called and where do I find one? Thanks!
Old 09-26-22, 04:30 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
When you use a presta/schraeder adapter, the knurled screw on the top of the presta valve acts as the nub on a schrader:

Old 09-26-22, 07:30 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
You're using presta valves, correct? Take the core out of the tube. Just use a standard air compressor nozzle gun that has a pointed end. Once the beads set, cover the tip of the valve until you screw the core back in. Then let the tire deflate, and keeping the bead sealed, add sealant, add valve core, and re-inflate.

Last edited by Rogerogeroge; 09-26-22 at 10:20 PM.
Likes For Rogerogeroge:
Old 09-26-22, 10:51 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,406 Posts
From the description it seems that you have a ball chuck of the compressor. As you note, they depend on the valve's stem to depress the pin and start air flow.

Your problem is that your current PV/SV adapter is either too long and/or has too thin a wall, so there's nothing at the right height to engage the chuck's pin. Easiest solution is a shorter adapter, so the PV nut is just slightly sub-flush. Otherwise you can improvise something to make up the gap, ie. a 1/8" ball bearing.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-27-22, 07:44 AM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Originally Posted by FBinNY
From the description it seems that you have a ball chuck of the compressor. As you note, they depend on the valve's stem to depress the pin and start air flow.

Your problem is that your current PV/SV adapter is either too long and/or has too thin a wall, so there's nothing at the right height to engage the chuck's pin. Easiest solution is a shorter adapter, so the PV nut is just slightly sub-flush. Otherwise you can improvise something to make up the gap, ie. a 1/8" ball bearing.
Yep - there's a ball chuck in the adapter which is preventing me from being able to use it. I think I've found an adapter online that will work for me. It'd be great if I could find something local so I could see it before I buy it. The online descriptions I'm reading aren't really clear because their focus is on filling auto tires with Schrader valves with the Presta as an add-on.
Old 09-27-22, 02:42 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 326 Posts
The hose I use for seating tyres has a screw-on fitting for a Schrader valve and a quick coupling to attach it to the compressor. There's no valve in it so it's always open. An eBay search for "screw-on Schrader hose" found several that would do, just add the coupling to suit your system.
Old 09-27-22, 03:10 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
A company called "Prestacycle" sells a presta valve inflator that has a lever operated valve so it can be attached to an air hose with a quick connect and allows controlled airflow. It works well for "blast" seating tubeless tires with the presta valve core in place or removed.

They are available either as a plain inflator of with a digital or analog pressure gauge. Here is the lowest cost version: https://www.prestacycle.com/product/...tire-inflator/. I have one of these and it works very well.
Old 09-27-22, 03:45 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
I just cut the Schrader chuck off and put a Silca presta chuck on instead:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
silca-head.jpg (49.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-27-22, 04:18 PM
mtnbud

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I just cut the Schrader chuck off and put a Silca presta chuck on instead:
I like it!