Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 03-13-10, 10:55 AM
AL NZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Decals, not daughters...

try https://www.hlloydcycles.com/

I bought some last year and they winged their way from UK to NZ promptly, and I was very satisfied. They are on the BSA in my Avatar.

He packages tyhem with stiff card for protection.

Recommended ++
Old 03-13-10, 11:31 AM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey85
So, anyway...

I'm having trouble finding decals to go with my girlfriend's Raleigh Sports. I've tried to get ahold of JRrestore, but haven't heard back yet, nor have I heard from cyclart, whom I also emailed. Any other ideas? IT's a '73, and I can find decals from the older (30's-50's) Sports, as well as from other models, but cannot find a late 60's to mid 70's sports decal set.

ETA: As an aside, I find it interesting that the father of a son got ripped on because of supporting prevailing stereotypes, yet all of the fathers of daughters on here are talking about not letting their daughters date, scaring the crap out of their boyfriends and safeguarding their purity like the cure for cancer is in there.
have you tried greg softely's decals? his ebay storefront is cyclomondo.

and i'm not going anywhere near this son/daughter debate... perhaps that should be taken to a new thread?
Old 03-13-10, 11:32 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
double post...weird.
Forum Glitch... I get it a lot in FF on a Windoze machine but not with the Linux one. You should be able to delete the duplicate post.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-13-10, 11:48 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,029 Times in 1,245 Posts
FWIW, I'm just as tentative (maybe more) about my 12 year old son so let's not make assumptions about which type of parent is the most apprehensive about their children's future.

Wait a minute...this is a bike forum. Let's troll. Are mixte frames for men or women? Discuss!
Old 03-13-10, 11:53 AM
Andrew F

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are mixte frames for men or women? Discuss!
Yes, they are!
Old 03-13-10, 12:17 PM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston
have you tried greg softely's decals? his ebay storefront is cyclomondo.

and i'm not going anywhere near this son/daughter debate... perhaps that should be taken to a new thread?
I've tried cyclomondo, but cannot seem to find his email or get ahold of him to ask him specifically about the decals - he doesn'thave them on his store. Anyone have an email that they could PM me?

Al, I looked at that site previously, and didn't see anything, but will have to email him later. One would think that SOMEONE would be making decals for one of the most popular bikes (of all time) built during the bike boom by one of the biggest companies in the world.
Old 03-13-10, 05:17 PM
southpawboston

I've tried cyclomondo, but cannot seem to find his email or get ahold of him to ask him specifically about the decals - he doesn'thave them on his store. Anyone have an email that they could PM me?
i didn't keep his direct emails, but you can contact him through his ebay ID, which is gts753:

https://myworld.ebay.com/gts753/

he was able to put together a custom kit for me that wasn't listed on ebay. his decals are first-rate.
Old 03-13-10, 07:25 PM
Big Block

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 77 Posts
I've tried cyclomondo.... Anyone have an email that they could PM me? .
PM sent
Old 03-13-10, 09:37 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Wait a minute...this is a bike forum. Let's troll. Are mixte frames for men or women? Discuss!
Silly!... they are for people who are mixte! j/k
Old 03-14-10, 01:01 AM
buck mulligan
I'm shovel-ready!

Bikes: Raleigh Sports All-Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Okay, I know that everyone wants to drop the whole son/daughter thing, and I do too - but first, as the guy who first mentioned sons and so opened the floodgates, I just have one thing to say:

I certainly did not mean to imply that boys bear less responsibility for, shall we say, unfortunate occurrences than do girls. By extension, the parents of boys are likewise as responsible as the parents of girls. All I was trying to get at is the special father/daughter relationship, which I've observed in so many friends of mine (often quite enviously), and the emotional extremes it can lead to. I don't have that same sort of intense, extreme relationship with my son, although I can see that my wife does. Everything you guys are saying about your daughters, my wife says about our son. Meanwhile, I get to enjoy a much lower-key sort of relationship, much like the one that I suspect some of you guys' daughters have with their mothers. And that's all I was getting at.

Now, let's get back to talking about bikes. And someone else better jump in here, because if it's up to me, all I have to talk about is the SA hub I rebuilt tonight - and I'm sure that no one wants to hear about that!
Old 03-14-10, 12:31 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. But please explain one thing:

When do we get to hear about the hub you just rebuilt!?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-14-10, 12:51 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
Spring gives me an itch to try things out...

Been thinking I should build up a new 3 speed coaster hub I have sitting in the shop... and would then fit it to my fixed gear Kuwahara to test it out.
Old 03-14-10, 12:55 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

What kind, Sixty Fiver?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 03-14-10, 01:11 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Sturmey Archer of course.
Old 03-14-10, 02:12 PM
buck mulligan
I'm shovel-ready!

Bikes: Raleigh Sports All-Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
When do we get to hear about the hub you just rebuilt!?
Well, about that....

As some of you may recall, I'm rebuilding my '72 "All-Gold" Sports. I'm dealing with some handicaps, though - in particular, I don't have a dedicated work area. When I disassembled the rear hub I didn't have the luxury of leaving parts laid out in order until I could clean and reassemble it. Instead, I had to bag assemblies together in Ziplock bags as logically as I could, and hope for the best.

(Actually, I could also have used photographs and notes to help me keep track - and to a certain extent, I did - but I always seem to notice the limitations and errors in my notes and photographs when I go to rely on them.)

So, anyway, last night I got around to rebuilding the hub led mostly by online instructions from sheldonbrown.com, supplemented with some exploded-view drawings I dug up online. And, I must say, there were some tense moments when I was convinced that I'd never figure it out - mostly when it came to fitting the pawls and pawl springs - but ultimately it all worked out. Right now the hub is purring like a kitten.

And now, today - wheel truing!
Old 03-14-10, 03:24 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Yeah, the pawls and pawl springs are the trickiest part for me, too.

Old 05-11-10, 04:27 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Boldly reviving the 3-Speed thread to introduce mine. I finished him a couple months ago and completely forgot to share him with C&V... I hope these photos don't turn out too big...

My candy-apple red 1974 Raleigh Ltd-3 - he's been give the name "Sir Walter" as a little play on words.

The only functional changes aside from flushing/regreasing hubs/bearings/headset, etc, was to put some new grips and new tyres on him and he's good to go. I decided to make him comfortable, so I ended up finding a mid-70's Brooks B-66 saddle on eBay, and throwing brass bell, NOS rear rack, and Wald basket on him so I could make him my grocery/errand bike.

But I think my favorite part is just the finish and feel of the cork grips ($10 Dimension cork grips, another eBay steal). They're cushy and smooth, and feel much better under the hands than the rougher rubber grips which it was equipped with.

A view of the cockpit:

To prevent inquiries - yes, I still have the chainguard, I removed it because it didn't effect my riding and I liked the look of the bike without it.

Last edited by Maddox; 05-11-10 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-11-10, 05:02 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Maddox - That is a beautiful bike... that needs it's chainguard.

It looked nekkid.
Old 05-11-10, 11:36 PM
Veloria
Lug Princess

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

My husband and I ride a pair of DL-1s; mine a 1973 and his a 1972. Best bikes ever.
Old 05-12-10, 05:41 AM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 85 Posts
Beauty! I really miss mine! What kind of tires are those?
Old 05-12-10, 07:35 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Now that I'm riding three-speeds, I see the wisdom of chainguards. I don't have to tie up my trousers. I just jump on. This is a bigger convenience than I thought it would be. It's so nice not to need any equipment other than a helmet. I still like to wear gloves as a safety garment. I have fallen and ripped my gloves, which means I would have ripped my hands without gloves.

My two three-speeds are a 1966 Hercules, which is a Raleigh Sports with another label, and a 1973 Raleigh Twenty folding bike.

Old 05-12-10, 09:58 AM
David Newton
Wood

Bikes: Raleigh Sports: hers. Vianelli Professional & Bridgestone 300: mine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
My wife likes her chain guard, me, not so much.

I have single-speeded both our bikes, her's a '62 Raleigh ladies Sports, mine a India-Hercules sports-clone. Her's is all steel, where mine is converted to all alloy components. I don't know what steel the Hercules made of, but it is lighter than her Sports frame, and is very resilient.

I know I've mentioned it before, but it is flat as a pancake here in our town, and single-speeding makes a simple bike simpler.
Old 05-12-10, 11:34 AM
southpawboston

i can't stand the stock "hockey stick" chainguards that raleigh supplied with many of their 3-speeds. my pants have caught on them, my shoes have caught on them, and they haven't protected me from getting chain grease on my pants... the french alloy chainguards seem a little bit better, with less sharp edges and better coverage. but full chaincases seem best.
Old 05-12-10, 12:23 PM
supton
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found myself tagging the chainguard. I think it's because I've been riding clipless the last few years, and am not used to platforms again. Plus, aren't the BB's wider on Raleighs? Still, I like the chainguard, less of a grease threat.
Old 05-12-10, 03:58 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bibliobob
Beauty! I really miss mine! What kind of tires are those?
I'll let Veloria correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 99.9% certain they're Schwalbe Delta Cruisers in Creme (DL-1's use size 28" of course).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.