Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

10 speed chainring with an 8 speed set up?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-12, 05:45 PM
ian0789

Bikes: to many!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I was looking to upgrade a few parts for my 2nd bike. I was looking at nashbar and came up with a few ideas but in the end I found that 8speed group sets are not as easy as to find when trying to upgrade a triple. I was looking at a chainring/crank combo and it was about a second away from buying it. I found out its a 10 speed crank but from what I gathered the difference would be nothing if I used it on my 8speed set up.

I also noticed people used 10 speed FD and RD on 6,7,8,9 speed set ups. So what is the bottom line when it comes to swaping out parts? I know I need to keep my cassette 8 speed as I am not changing out my shifters (Triple / Eight) or chain. But as for Chainring/crank and FD/RD does it really make a big difference and if it does are we talking chain slip / miss shifting or just a bit of noise?
Old 11-27-12, 08:55 PM
ronp6

Bikes: Seven Cycles ID8 & steel Axiom; Bridgestones: MB-1, RB-T, XO-1, '85 Orange Gran Velo; electrics: Bionx, Swytch, Eflow Nitro; Merlin early MB; Raleigh Twenty & a lot of comings and goings

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The rings on a ten speed crank are closer together than they are on an 8 speed. The chain for an 8 speed setup is wider and may rub on the rings. I have used a 9 speed chain and gotten away with it. You could try that if your chain is too wide. A 10 speed chain is too narrow for an 8 speed cassette since the cogs are thicker. You could also make shims to space out the rings to open up the distance.
Old 11-27-12, 09:16 PM
hockeyteeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^

Yup. I have 9spd rings with my 7spd chain and had to use some chainring spacers to keep the chain from rubbing.
Old 11-27-12, 09:28 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by hockeyteeth
Yup. I have 9spd rings with my 7spd chain and had to use some chainring spacers to keep the chain from rubbing.
In all the ratios or just the small/small combos?
Old 11-27-12, 09:37 PM
ronp6

Bikes: Seven Cycles ID8 & steel Axiom; Bridgestones: MB-1, RB-T, XO-1, '85 Orange Gran Velo; electrics: Bionx, Swytch, Eflow Nitro; Merlin early MB; Raleigh Twenty & a lot of comings and goings

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The problem is on the smaller rings other than the 2 or 3 smallest cogs; the big ring is fine unless you have a problem with the narrow front derailleur. Spacers are an easy solution and they could be shirt cardboard or thin washers with one edge flattened off with a file. They will be sandwiched between the ring and the crank so it doesn't have to be fancy.
Old 11-27-12, 09:48 PM
ian0789

Bikes: to many!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well thank you for the info, I found some conflicting posts that said it will work while others said spacers. I think I will just build up set slowly during the winter and make my end choice on cranks once I find a good deal on shifters.
Old 11-27-12, 10:18 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Commercially manufactured chainring spacers are readily available in numerous thicknesses, no need to kludge something up.