Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Does a Chorus Ergo shifter have enough cable pull to shift a Shimano triple front?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Does a Chorus Ergo shifter have enough cable pull to shift a Shimano triple front?

Old 10-25-13, 03:48 PM
ronp6

Bikes: Seven Cycles ID8 & steel Axiom; Bridgestones: MB-1, RB-T, XO-1, '85 Orange Gran Velo; electrics: Bionx, Swytch, Eflow Nitro; Merlin early MB; Raleigh Twenty & a lot of comings and goings

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I really like Ergo shifters but like the gear selection of Shimano so I was going to use Chorus shifters with a Jtec widget for the rear but never thought about the front. I don't do much with modern Campagnolo but I thought Ergo shifters were all double or triple but didn't know about for a Shimano front Derailleur. Appreciate the help
Old 10-25-13, 05:19 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 255 Posts
Yes. Campy Ergo shifters work fine with any FD, have enough cable pull, and have the distinct advantage of being easy to trim the FD.
Old 10-25-13, 05:19 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm shifting an Ultegra triple FD with my Campy Chorus 10 speed microshift shifters. Works fine and with the 9 or 10 clicks you can trim if necessary. I do think the Campy triple FD work a bit better since the lever arm has a bit of a difference shape. I shift a quad chainring on my tandem with these same Chorus shifters.
Old 10-25-13, 07:55 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by ronp6
I really like Ergo shifters but like the gear selection of Shimano so I was going to use Chorus shifters with a Jtec widget for the rear but never thought about the front. I don't do much with modern Campagnolo but I thought Ergo shifters were all double or triple but didn't know about for a Shimano front Derailleur. Appreciate the help
First (pointy hood, 8 cog and 1997 9 cog) and second generation levers (round hood, 9 and 10 cog, not Ultrashift in which Chorus would imply 11 cogs) have 12 clicks on the left derailleur, of which 3-4 are used for a Campagnolo double and 7 for a Campagnolo triple.

There's a _lot_ of room left.

Ultrashift levers have six clicks and use all for a Campagnolo triple derailleur.
Old 10-25-13, 09:19 PM
ronp6

Bikes: Seven Cycles ID8 & steel Axiom; Bridgestones: MB-1, RB-T, XO-1, '85 Orange Gran Velo; electrics: Bionx, Swytch, Eflow Nitro; Merlin early MB; Raleigh Twenty & a lot of comings and goings

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks guys, what a great resource this is with access to people who know what they are talking about.

I had a 9 speed Dura Ace triple lever fail that I can't replace and since I loved the trim on Ergo levers, I was told they will shift a Shimano rear better with Jtek than the Dura Ace does and I had the Ergo levers it was the perfect opportunity! Much appreciated!