Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rear Derailleur Options for 7 speed - Help Please

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-13, 03:06 PM
samholmes

Bikes: 2012 Orange Five Pro, 2002 Orange Evo Hardtail, 1987 Raleigh Type 8806 Lightweight 531c, 1977 Raleigh Record Ace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I have a vintage 87' Raleigh type 8806 lightweight 531 racer which is in need of a new rear mech. It has been surviving on a worn out Sachs New Success Aris 7 speed rear mech but its given up the ghost and I have been looking for a replacement. I cant seem to find anyone that can help me with a suitable replacement.

It has a nice set of vintage campagnolo hubs with a sachs-maillard 7-speed screw on freewheel, and sachs new success aris 7-speed indexed shifters all of which are running nice.

What replacement rear derailleurs are available? is sachs new success 7-speed indexing compatible with campagnolo / shimano derailleurs? preferably I would like to go for a vintage campagnolo mech to match other parts on the bike, although I cant find a 7-speed model. Is it possible to use an 8 or 9 speed mech or is the shift spacing going to be different. Shimano 600 ultegra tricolor would be another option if compatible?

any ideas would be great as I need to get her back on the road!

Thanks
Old 10-27-13, 03:33 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Search here for ideas: https://velobase.com/ or here: https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Home.html
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 10-27-13, 03:51 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
I don't know about the mid 80s Sachs stuff but the mid 90s rear ders share the cable pull specs with Shimano. The freewheels are Campy spaced. The 7 and 8 speed freewheels have the same 5mm cog spacing. Andy.
Old 10-27-13, 05:54 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Moved from Mechanics to C&V.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 10-27-13, 07:05 PM
ronp6

Bikes: Seven Cycles ID8 & steel Axiom; Bridgestones: MB-1, RB-T, XO-1, '85 Orange Gran Velo; electrics: Bionx, Swytch, Eflow Nitro; Merlin early MB; Raleigh Twenty & a lot of comings and goings

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can find out the cable pull of your shifters by making a mark at an identifiable place on the cable and shifting 1st to 7th and measure how much cable was pulled. Most of us have a 7 or 8 speed with shimano we could check if you post the cable pull. I'll bet if you measure the freewheel to compare against the 5mm Andrew provided above I think it will match since it was pretty standard. If it is a cassette the differences became much greater.
Old 10-27-13, 07:28 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Pretty sure that mid 80's Sachs, Shimano and SRAM all work nicely together. Mrs. Doc's Trek 420 mixte uses a Sachs 7 speed freewheel with Deore LX FD and RD and SRAM grip shifters. Flawless!