Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How do you get a job without a car?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How do you get a job without a car?

Old 11-22-15, 06:29 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
No ... I'm saying that's just the way it is: "If it happens that I need to drive as part of my job, my employer will provide me with a vehicle. I wouldn't be expected to use my own unless I really wanted to."
My point was only that in the end it's up to your employer, what your employer will provide you with or expect of you. So "my employer will..." can only be your hope - not an absolute.

But I would at least hope to maintain a similar stance. That being that if I were to be expected to drive my own car as part of my employment, my hope would be to find other opportunities that fit better with my intended lifestyle.
Old 11-22-15, 06:46 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
My point was only that in the end it's up to your employer, what your employer will provide you with or expect of you. So "my employer will..." can only be your hope - not an absolute.

But I would at least hope to maintain a similar stance. That being that if I were to be expected to drive my own car as part of my employment, my hope would be to find other opportunities that fit better with my intended lifestyle.
The thing is, if you will be required to drive your own car, that will be stated in the job ad. Or at least, that has been my experience. So then it's up to me to apply for that job or not.

But there is often room for negotiation prior to signing all the paperwork.
Old 11-24-15, 10:24 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Mobile155 brought this up in another thread and provided the link. I agreed that it would be a great idea for a thread on this forum. Sometimes it can be a special challenge to find a suitable job when you're carfree. Have you ever had any issues along this line? What advice would you have for carfree job seekers?

| How to Get a Job without a Car ? My Story -
How do I get a job without a car?

STEP 1. - After high school was over for the day, I walked 7 blocks to a local supermarket

STEP 2. - I asked the manager if he had an application for employment.

STEP 3. - Filled out application and was hired two days later.

That's how I got my first job during high school I used my own two feet to get the job and no car, bicycle or bus was used. (I did use the bus to get to school) I call this from of locomotion, pedestrian transport. LOL!

When I think about it, I only used a car once to secure a job once in 47 years. After securing that job, I either rode my bicycle or took the bus and walked 2 miles to the trucking company. I've only driven a car about two dozen times to work in my entire life.

With the internet, transit schedules and maps all online for free, it's much easier to determine bus and rail times than ever before. I remember how difficult it was to get this information back in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Not anymore. In the morning, I simply go to the transit APP and see how many minutes my bus is from my location and I walk to the stop 10 minutes before arrival.

In fact, it wasn't until 5 years ago that I finally discovered where every bus route in the state goes.
Old 12-04-15, 03:33 PM
heywood

Bikes: 2013 Brodie Section 8 , 2014 Easy Motion Neo City e-bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I only had one job that required i use a car (part time security guarding while in college), to get to a site that had no public transportation access.. it really wasn't worth it after factoring in costs so i quit.... Never been interested in jobs that require use of your personal car, i have no idea how automobile delivery people make a living, after factoring in car costs they must be making slave wages..Then again don't many north americans have a job so they can own a car, to get to the job..so they can pay for the car.. isn't that like a 'zero sum' thing?
Old 12-04-15, 04:56 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by heywood
I only had one job that required i use a car (part time security guarding while in college), to get to a site that had no public transportation access.. it really wasn't worth it after factoring in costs so i quit.... Never been interested in jobs that require use of your personal car, i have no idea how automobile delivery people make a living, after factoring in car costs they must be making slave wages..Then again don't many north americans have a job so they can own a car, to get to the job..so they can pay for the car.. isn't that like a 'zero sum' thing?
That's the way I see it.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-04-15, 07:06 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

i have no idea how automobile delivery people make a living, after factoring in car costs they must be making slave wages.
They don't. Trust me ... I know.
Old 12-05-15, 12:39 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
They don't. Trust me ... I know.
My sister went through that. She really enjoys driving and has spent years trying to make a living doing it. She went through years of near slave wages but finally (after close to 20 years of trying) got a job with a package delivery service and makes a decent living (after all expenses, about 25-30k/year, which in Rural US is a mid level wage).

Back to the topic of how to get a job without a car, I have seen that it really depends on the nature of the job. The job duties are not an important determinant; the determinant is what the job pays.

A job that pays more than 2x minimum wage seldom seems to require a car. Further, if one is needed, it will generally be provided.

At the same time, a job that pays 1-1.5x minimum wage almost always requires a car; this is true even if the car is not needed for the actual job. As an example, my daughter once applied at a McDonald's that was literally across the street from our apartment, at the time.

She was told that they needed someone with a car so that they could get to work on time.

Of course we know it had nothing to do with getting to work on time; she was able to point out the window and show where she lived. It is simply a gauge of commitment. People applying for higher pay jobs have generally already demonstrated their commitment through whatever is on their resume. They have established themselves.

When applying for, what are, interchangeable jobs, the people are treated as interchangeable gears. For whatever reason (and yes, this needs to change) the car serves as a visible level of commitment, it helps to establish the person. Frankly, it is visible evidence that if the job were abandoned, the worker would suffer.
Old 12-05-15, 01:04 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Robert C
My sister went through that. She really enjoys driving and has spent years trying to make a living doing it. She went through years of near slave wages but finally (after close to 20 years of trying) got a job with a package delivery service and makes a decent living (after all expenses, about 25-30k/year, which in Rural US is a mid level wage).

Back to the topic of how to get a job without a car, I have seen that it really depends on the nature of the job. The job duties are not an important determinant; the determinant is what the job pays.

A job that pays more than 2x minimum wage seldom seems to require a car. Further, if one is needed, it will generally be provided.

At the same time, a job that pays 1-1.5x minimum wage almost always requires a car; this is true even if the car is not needed for the actual job. As an example, my daughter once applied at a McDonald's that was literally across the street from our apartment, at the time.

She was told that they needed someone with a car so that they could get to work on time.

Of course we know it had nothing to do with getting to work on time; she was able to point out the window and show where she lived. It is simply a gauge of commitment. People applying for higher pay jobs have generally already demonstrated their commitment through whatever is on their resume. They have established themselves.

When applying for, what are, interchangeable jobs, the people are treated as interchangeable gears. For whatever reason (and yes, this needs to change) the car serves as a visible level of commitment, it helps to establish the person. Frankly, it is visible evidence that if the job were abandoned, the worker would suffer.
Thoughtful post; it very well explains some attitudes about American workers and the automobile. Of course it's silly to equate cars with stability or some form of "success", but this attitude seems well entrenched. It places millions of poor and/or young Americans on the path to debt servitude. Maybe low-wage employers also see car ownership as a need (almost an addiction) that will motivate workers to stay employed, so as not to miss a payment.

In reality, ownership of an old car is probably the least reliable form of transportation available to many low wage people. "Car wouldn't start" is certainly a leading cause of tardiness and absence at starter level jobs. Transit, walking, and bike riding are all more reliable than an old car.

Also, IMO, refusal to buy a car equates with a good understanding of economics and a willingness to think for oneself--both excellent qualities in a new hire at any wage level.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-05-15, 01:32 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Given the limited reliable background information a potential employer has about a new employee, I'm not surprised at the emphasis on car ownership for low paying jobs. It really is an indication at least that this person has the discipline to stick around and get a paycheck. Unfortunately the world is full of flakes.
Old 12-05-15, 01:44 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Of course it's silly to equate cars with stability
Is it?

An employers only concern is if a new hire will be reliable. Why would it be a consideration if a correlation hasn't been demonstrated? With entry level, unskilled labor there's few parameters to judge an applicant by.

They say don't judge a book by its cover, but how does one judge an unwritten book that's nothing more than a cover?
Old 12-05-15, 01:54 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Given the limited reliable background information a potential employer has about a new employee,
The company I work for will only confirm the period of employment of an employee, and prohibits giving references in any form due to liability and privacy concerns.
If management is contacted, they must redirect the inquiry to corporate HR without making any comments or statements.
Old 12-05-15, 05:57 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
When I worked at Hughes Aircraft, I rode my bike to the interview. It had no affect on the interview.

But once I got started they discovered that my bike was better than a car. My job was taking parts between point A and point B. Sometimes that meant to facilities on the other side of LAX airport. Riding my bike was faster than driving because I could go door to door, whereas if I had driven, I would have to walk from the door to where ever the car was in the parking lot, drive to the other building and park in that parking lot and walk to the door. My bosses loved it.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 12-05-15, 06:19 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
When I worked at Hughes Aircraft, I rode my bike to the interview. It had no affect on the interview.
Where I work, not having a car isn't a problem. It might be more of a problem to admit not having a cell phone.
Old 12-05-15, 06:51 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Robert C

This is kind of what I was saying earlier when I said, "If it happens that I need to drive as part of my job, my employer will provide me with a vehicle. I wouldn't be expected to use my own unless I really wanted to."
Old 12-05-15, 07:06 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Thoughtful post; it very well explains some attitudes about American workers and the automobile. Of course it's silly to equate cars with stability or some form of "success", but this attitude seems well entrenched. It places millions of poor and/or young Americans on the path to debt servitude. Maybe low-wage employers also see car ownership as a need (almost an addiction) that will motivate workers to stay employed, so as not to miss a payment.

I remember my dad, a restaurant owner when I was a kid in rural Texas, would convince the best workers to buy a car. He'd even help them out, finding a decent car, advice and help financing it and so on. It was because, having a car payment meant they needed the job more. I was surprised that anyone fell for it but, depressingly it always worked.
Old 12-06-15, 12:43 AM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
That's the way I see it.
My wife must have a car to do her job as a in home health care provider, it consumes around 20% of her income. Her prior job that didn't require a car paid significantly less than the 80% net of her current job.

I think your theory only applies to those at the bottom of the income scale, and/or who choose vehicles not suitable for their income.
Old 12-06-15, 01:18 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Given the limited reliable background information a potential employer has about a new employee, I'm not surprised at the emphasis on car ownership for low paying jobs. It really is an indication at least that this person has the discipline to stick around and get a paycheck. Unfortunately the world is full of flakes.
You never knew any flakes who own cars? Really?

NOT owning a car is often a sign of maturity, an ability to defer immediate gratification in service of long-range goals. It can also show a sensitivity to larger social, economic, and environmental concerns that employers should value in their employees..

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-06-15, 01:25 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by kickstart
My wife must have a car to do her job as a in home health care provider, it consumes around 20% of her income. Her prior job that didn't require a car paid significantly less than the 80% net of her current job.

I think your theory only applies to those at the bottom of the income scale, and/or who choose vehicles not suitable for their income.
I think that once again you are a little overly sensitive. The posting of pro-carfree statements on this forum should not be seen as a criticism of the lifestyle adopted by yourself and your wife--and indeed the vast majority of people in developed countries.

You really don't have to point out the great features of cars every time somebody mentions the great features of being carfree. I'm well aware of jobs that require the use of cars, and so is everybody else. However, the topic here is getting a job WITHOUT a car. I doubt if carfree/carlight people would even apply for a job like your wife's, but they can probably find other great jobs in health care that do not require them.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 12-06-15 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-06-15, 01:30 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by wphamilton
I remember my dad, a restaurant owner when I was a kid in rural Texas, would convince the best workers to buy a car. He'd even help them out, finding a decent car, advice and help financing it and so on. It was because, having a car payment meant they needed the job more. I was surprised that anyone fell for it but, depressingly it always worked.
I often suspected that this is a major reason why they want low wage employees to have a car, or rather a car note. For a young worker, it's an early introduction to the wonderful world of debt servitude.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-06-15, 02:27 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You never knew any flakes who own cars? Really?

NOT owning a car is often a sign of maturity, an ability to defer immediate gratification in service of long-range goals. It can also show a sensitivity to larger social, economic, and environmental concerns that employers should value in their employees..
You spin a good line. But I'm not hiring anyway. You've got a lot of other people to convince.
Old 12-06-15, 03:00 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

You spin a good line. But I'm not hiring anyway. You've got a lot of other people to convince.
I'm not trying to convince employers. I wouldn't want to work for anybody who couldn't understand basic facts about human nature, such as that car ownership status is a piss poor indicator of suitability for a job.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-06-15, 03:07 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not trying to convince employers. I wouldn't want to work for anybody who couldn't understand basic facts about human nature, such as that car ownership status is a piss poor indicator of suitability for a job.
For those looking for a job you're better off recognizing this prejudice as common, and doing what you can to demonstrate discipline and stability. Believing that other people, particularly car drivers (most of the world) think you're smart for not having a car might not be the best position to adopt.
Old 12-06-15, 10:20 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I think that once again you are a little overly sensitive. The posting of pro-carfree statements on this forum should not be seen as a criticism of the lifestyle adopted by yourself and your wife--and indeed the vast majority of people in developed countries.

You really don't have to point out the great features of cars every time somebody mentions the great features of being carfree. I'm well aware of jobs that require the use of cars, and so is everybody else. However, the topic here is getting a job WITHOUT a car. I doubt if carfree/carlight people would even apply for a job like your wife's, but they can probably find other great jobs in health care that do not require them.
Don't be silly,

The conclusion Heywood made that you agree with isn't a "pro-Carfree" statement. While certainly true in some instances, its an observation on the consequences of poor money management that can afflict motorist and carfree alike.

There's enough legitimate reasons for some people to be carfree that intellectual dishonesty is unnecessary.
Old 12-07-15, 02:23 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Where I work, not having a car isn't a problem. It might be more of a problem to admit not having a cell phone.
Using a cell phone/smart phone is strictly forbidden according to the training materials where I work. But the owner insists that you must be available via mobile whenever you are at work, and preferrably when you are not, as well.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 01-11-16, 11:42 AM
heywood

Bikes: 2013 Brodie Section 8 , 2014 Easy Motion Neo City e-bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
That severely limits potential job prospects, potential job growth and advancement, and potential income. But there are obviously benefits. I have found that around me, people who are car free or car light do it because their current job allows them to.
Never limited my job prospects or advancement.. unless driving was part of your job why would you want to drive? If I lived in an area that required me to have a car i'd just move..I actually did that once and happier for it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.