Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Incredible score - $40 Strida Mark I aluminum belt drive folder

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 11-25-21, 11:27 AM
molleraj

Bikes: 1993 (?) BikeE CT RoadE edition, 2007 (?) Dahon Speed D7, 2003 (?) Specialized Globe Sport, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1982 Peugeot P8

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 79 Posts

I am so excited I managed to snag this original Strida folding bike from between 1987 and 1992. The industrial design professor selling it said 25 people were interested, but I was only a 10 minute drive away. Shockingly nice ride (once I became accustomed to the handling) and comfortable seat. Only about 20-22 lbs. Aluminum, belt drive, single speed, drum brakes, fully functional except top joint, and only $40. All it needed for now was a rear tube replacement, but I also ordered a 3D printed top joint replacement (white ASA body with black ABS letters). Some ride pics and handling discussion up next...

Left side view. Note there is no kickstand. It's intended to be rested on the rear rack while folded.

Another left side view.

Crack in the top joint. I ordered a 3D printed replacement in ASA for $40.

Strida folded up. Like a stroller in shape.
Old 11-25-21, 11:29 AM
molleraj

Bikes: 1993 (?) BikeE CT RoadE edition, 2007 (?) Dahon Speed D7, 2003 (?) Specialized Globe Sport, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1982 Peugeot P8

The Strida has quite nimble and responsive steering that feels twitchy until you get accustomed to it.

I also found it has four speeds - 1) walking up a steep hill, 2) climbing an incline, 3) accelerating on a flat while pedaling, and 4) coasting downhill. Sadly the belt slips when I climb a steep hill, but I just slow down or walk as necessary. Very very comfortable and I barely feel bumps which I would on my Huffy Touriste and Dahon Speed D7. I am pretty impressed.
Likes For molleraj:
Old 11-25-21, 11:44 AM
molleraj

So far I have ridden it 27 miles around rural SW Ohio. Here are some photos from my journeys the past few days.

Rainy 5 mile ride. Photo at an intersection near home.

Former railroad crossing. Historic railway station (now house) on opposite side of the tracks.

Pedal power meets electron power at the local substation.

Nice park under the bridge with kayak/canoe launch

View from the kayak launch

Strida at a railroad crossing

Another, bigger local park

Indian Creek view from Indian Creek Metropark (Reily, Ohio)

My Strida and my shadow

Evening sunset with the Strida
Old 11-25-21, 11:49 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
Must have been hyped in the Industrial Design community. The ID director at my work commutes on one of these. He calls it "Vlad the Impaler"

Nice score!
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 11-25-21, 12:34 PM
molleraj

Originally Posted by thinktubes
Must have been hyped in the Industrial Design community. The ID director at my work commutes on one of these. He calls it "Vlad the Impaler"

Nice score!
Ha, thanks! I would guess so. The previous owner (ID professor) bought it for $220 in Boston and managed to get it on a plane as a "personal mobility device."
Likes For molleraj:
Old 11-25-21, 01:36 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by molleraj
The Strida has quite nimble and responsive steering that feels twitchy until you get accustomed to it.
I rode one once, back maybe 10 years ago in Burlington Vermont. I was selling something bike-related on Craigslist and the lady I was doing business with asked me if I wanted to see her Strida. Couldn't say no to that! I had no idea what it was, but felt pretty safe. She wheeled it out and I was relieved to see we were still talking about bicycles!! I got to take it for a spin. It really did take a while to get used to. The angles are slack, but the fork's got no rake!
Old 11-25-21, 04:17 PM
molleraj

Originally Posted by scarlson
I rode one once, back maybe 10 years ago in Burlington Vermont. I was selling something bike-related on Craigslist and the lady I was doing business with asked me if I wanted to see her Strida. Couldn't say no to that! I had no idea what it was, but felt pretty safe. She wheeled it out and I was relieved to see we were still talking about bicycles!! I got to take it for a spin. It really did take a while to get used to. The angles are slack, but the fork's got no rake!
Oh nice! What were you selling?

I suppose it does have no rake given the angle between the rear and front tubes, and really the lack of a top tube. It feels surprisingly safe to me as well - I am also surprised it absorbs bumps so well.
Old 11-25-21, 04:39 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by molleraj
Oh nice! What were you selling?
I really have no recollection! Wheels, maybe? A frame? Kids bike? Someone had abandoned a bunch of bike parts on the corner outside my apartment that year and I'd taken them in, built some bikes out of them, and slowly sold them off for extra cash. I am poor now, but I was destitute in those days. Craigslist was my golden goose. I still have/use the smattering of Park Tools and tub of Park green grease from that haul. There was some hi-zoot WTB-branded stuff in there, some of which I sold and some of which I sent to family and friends.

I suppose it does have no rake given the angle between the rear and front tubes, and really the lack of a top tube. It feels surprisingly safe to me as well - I am also surprised it absorbs bumps so well.
Yeah, I bet the frame is pretty flexible. Really the only recollection I had was of getting on the Strida, almost falling off, and thinking "no way is this ridable" and then getting back on and wobbling down the road a ways before I got the hang of it.
Old 11-25-21, 07:50 PM
molleraj

Originally Posted by scarlson
I really have no recollection! Wheels, maybe? A frame? Kids bike? Someone had abandoned a bunch of bike parts on the corner outside my apartment that year and I'd taken them in, built some bikes out of them, and slowly sold them off for extra cash. I am poor now, but I was destitute in those days. Craigslist was my golden goose. I still have/use the smattering of Park Tools and tub of Park green grease from that haul. There was some hi-zoot WTB-branded stuff in there, some of which I sold and some of which I sent to family and friends.
Oh wow, I bet Craigslist was. So glad you profited off those abandoned bike parts!

Yeah, I bet the frame is pretty flexible. Really the only recollection I had was of getting on the Strida, almost falling off, and thinking "no way is this ridable" and then getting back on and wobbling down the road a ways before I got the hang of it.
​​​​​​​Yeah, my first ride was absolutely awful. I was somehow raising my knees and steering the Strida at the same time. I guess I pretty quickly learned not to do that.
​​​​
Likes For molleraj:
Old 11-25-21, 08:27 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Congratulations, that's a great score!

I have a Mk III and I rode the _____ out of it for several years. I took it on the train twice every day. The weird thing about the geometry is that the higher you put the seat, the closer you are to the handlebar. When you get up to my size (I'm about six feet tall) that means when you're riding the bike your posture is pretty close to standing upright or walking. It's geared much lower than my fixie, but I don't know the gear inches. Anyone know? Anyway, as I recall top speed was like 12 or 13 mph and that's spinning like crazy. I don't think you could gear it higher because the belt would slip. To get a little extra speed out of it I put shorter crank arms on it. I don't know about the Mk I, but mine took unicycle cranks. I put some crazy short cranks on it, I think they're 5", so I could spin faster, but I think I stopped riding the bike not long after that. It's not that the experiment failed so much as the bike was worn out and I wanted something else.

It's a brilliant design, a beautiful example of thinking outside the box. Is it a great bicycle? Well, it's a great folding bicycle. With folding bikes you have to decide whether you want a bike that folds up great, or a great bike that folds up. This is the former.

And yes, that's definitely C&V!

Last edited by rhm; 11-25-21 at 08:33 PM.
Likes For rhm:
Old 11-26-21, 02:51 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
My brother has the first version (with drum brakes) and a later version of the bike (with mechanical disk brakes).
He had problems with one of the wheel bearings on the first version and had to order a whole wheel to replace it, as they did not sell the pressed in bearing separately. The bearings on the later version seems to be holding up better.
It's good enough, I guess, as a town bike to do short commutes on or grocery shopping, if you strap on a basket on to the built in rear rack.
I tried riding both his Stridas and the "begging dog" - like riding position makes it quite uncomfortable after some time and distance though and the twitchy front end makes it tiresome. The belt drive surprisingly, was a bit noisy making chattering sounds that cannot be adjusted away. Must be some tolerance problems with the molded front sprocket. Not matching exactly with the teeth on the drive belt or vice versa. I tried adjusting the seat to improve the riding position, but adjustment range is just too limited to make real improvements.
I'm also a bit apprehensive about all the major plastic (Delrin?) frame parts on the bike that might eventually start cracking from UV and stress.
I think the Strida is more of just an engineering conversation piece than a real, practical daily rider bike. A Brompton or a Dahon, although not as cool looking, will be a much better choice.

Last edited by Chombi1; 11-26-21 at 02:58 AM.
Old 11-26-21, 11:45 AM
molleraj

Originally Posted by rhm
Congratulations, that's a great score!
Thanks!

I have a Mk III and I rode the _____ out of it for several years. I took it on the train twice every day. The weird thing about the geometry is that the higher you put the seat, the closer you are to the handlebar. When you get up to my size (I'm about six feet tall) that means when you're riding the bike your posture is pretty close to standing upright or walking.
I'm 5'10" and feel the same. The big issue for me is in my first rides my knees would hit the handlebars when I steered. I started leaning back in the seat and rode much better after then. Somehow now it feels more comfortable than a regular bike perhaps because my weight (135 lbs) isn't directed straight down a post, but rather on the side of triangle.

It's geared much lower than my fixie, but I don't know the gear inches. Anyone know? Anyway, as I recall top speed was like 12 or 13 mph and that's spinning like crazy. I don't think you could gear it higher because the belt would slip. To get a little extra speed out of it I put shorter crank arms on it. I don't know about the Mk I, but mine took unicycle cranks. I put some crazy short cranks on it, I think they're 5", so I could spin faster, but I think I stopped riding the bike not long after that. It's not that the experiment failed so much as the bike was worn out and I wanted something else.
That's super interesting. I think the Mk I has a one piece Ashtabula crank so that may not work...unless I find an Ashtabula crank with shorter arms.

It's a brilliant design, a beautiful example of thinking outside the box. Is it a great bicycle? Well, it's a great folding bicycle. With folding bikes you have to decide whether you want a bike that folds up great, or a great bike that folds up. This is the former.
I don't know, maybe I am weird but it feels so oddly ergonomic. My butt doesn't hurt despite the simple seat and I rarely feel bumps the way I do on other folders. I haven't ridden on a sidewalk though, yet.

And yes, that's definitely C&V!
Haha, awesome.
Old 11-26-21, 08:49 PM
molleraj

Originally Posted by Chombi1
My brother has the first version (with drum brakes) and a later version of the bike (with mechanical disk brakes).
He had problems with one of the wheel bearings on the first version and had to order a whole wheel to replace it, as they did not sell the pressed in bearing separately. The bearings on the later version seems to be holding up better.
Uh oh! Thanks for the heads up. How many miles until he had that problem?

It's good enough, I guess, as a town bike to do short commutes on or grocery shopping, if you strap on a basket on to the built in rear rack.
I tried riding both his Stridas and the "begging dog" - like riding position makes it quite uncomfortable after some time and distance though and the twitchy front end makes it tiresome. The belt drive surprisingly, was a bit noisy making chattering sounds that cannot be adjusted away. Must be some tolerance problems with the molded front sprocket. Not matching exactly with the teeth on the drive belt or vice versa. I tried adjusting the seat to improve the riding position, but adjustment range is just too limited to make real improvements.
Interesting! I don't know why I find the position so comfortable. That's weird re chattering. I only hear quick skipping going up a steep hill, at which point I just give up and walk.

I'm also a bit apprehensive about all the major plastic (Delrin?) frame parts on the bike that might eventually start cracking from UV and stress.
I think the Strida is more of just an engineering conversation piece than a real, practical daily rider bike. A Brompton or a Dahon, although not as cool looking, will be a much better choice.
Agreed. I do store mine indoors though and except for the top bracket the other parts seem OK. I will have to watch for sun damaging the plastics.

I thought it was just a cool idea, as you stated, and my Dahon Speed D7 is way more practical with its derailleur and larger rack, but this Strida is so dang comfortable. It's definitely going to be good for short rides (10-20 mi) on lightly rolling/even terrain.
Old 11-27-21, 06:22 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Current factory production fits a 100T chainwheel (the late Sheldon Brown might insist this is in fact a beltwheel ) and a 30T rear cog.

On the current versions with 16" (ISO305mm) tires, it's about 49 gear inches.
On the current versions with 18" (ISO355mm) tires, it's about 55 gear inches.

Stridas have been fitted with Schlumpf Speed Drives and Efneo three-speed cranks. There's a factory model, the Evo, with a Sturmey-Archer three-speed bottom bracket gearset.
Old 11-27-21, 06:30 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Riding Korea's beautiful Four Rivers route - 600km - on a Strida:

Likes For tcs:
Old 11-27-21, 06:36 AM
tcs
Palmer

How they fold:

Old 11-27-21, 08:23 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
How they fold:

That graphic is cute but not helpful. How they fold is: the 'down tube' unhooks from the 'head tube' and folds up to parallel the 'seat tube', and this frees the 'head tube' to fold down to parallel the 'seat tube. This brings the two wheels side-by-side and magnets at the hubs of the wheels attract one another to hold the whole shebang together. Separately, you pull the ends of the handlebar out and they fold down. With folded handlebar you can still steer the folded bike from the stem as you walk along behind it. It rolls forward effortlessly, but due to the freewheel it can only roll a few feet backward before the wheel locks up. It's long, but it's thin.

I've pretty much given up tourism, flying, and that kind of thing; but if I were to spend a week in a new and fascinating place like, say, Athens or London or ... well, pretty much any big old city, I think a Strida would be a great thing to bring along. Anyplace you can walk, you can ride a Strida and probably not piss off the other pedestrians. You can ride it as slow as walking, or up to about three times walking speed, which saves a lot of time, all without giving up anything in terms of public transit. It's amazing how fast you can dismount and fold a Strida; I used to ride mine to the 7th Ave door of Penn Station in NYC, dismount at the curb, and start walking. Without stopping, or even slowing down, I would fold the bike as I walked across the sidewalk to the escalator or stairs; by the time I got to the stairs, the bike was fully folded. This took about five seconds. Getting on the train, I'd roll the bike in front of me until I found a seat, sling the bike up onto the overhead rack and secure it with my helmet and sit down before anyone behind me realized I had a bike with me.
Old 11-28-21, 04:19 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
That’s weird enough for me to like
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 11-28-21, 12:31 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,522 Times in 1,742 Posts
Cool bike! I really like the way they look. But they also look like they would have an effective TT length of less than 10" when I put the saddle at my preferred height.

Old 11-28-21, 12:36 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Why???
Old 11-28-21, 12:38 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,522 Times in 1,742 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
With folding bikes you have to decide whether you want a bike that folds up great, or a great bike that folds up.
Agreed. Such a pity that 99.9% of the folding bikes seem to be in the first category.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 11-28-21, 10:45 PM
djm323

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I rode a Strida briefly some time ago. Steering was quick (compared to a 406 Bike Friday) — the short handlebars are a factor in addition to the geometry. As has been noted, this one-size-fits-all bike doesnt work well if youre tall since its inverted triangular frame reduces reach as the seat is raised. I ride a large frame and it seemed quite crowded for me.
Old 11-30-21, 12:26 PM
tcs
Palmer

...if I were to spend a week in a new and fascinating place like, say, Athens or London or ... well, pretty much any big old city, I think a Strida would be a great thing to bring along. Anyplace you can walk, you can ride a Strida and probably not piss off the other pedestrians. You can ride it as slow as walking, or up to about three times walking speed, which saves a lot of time, all without giving up anything in terms of public transit.
...managed to get it on a plane as a "personal mobility device."

Strida offers carry bags. I'm told they can fly as 'golf clubs'.

These odd little bikes certainly have their fans.

IIRC 2022 will mark 35 years of production.
Old 01-27-22, 12:15 AM
molleraj

A friend of mine in Boston spotted one outside his office recently - a much newer model. Must have been used to get to and from the T. Anyway, my biking friends were pretty impressed with the price of mine. Hopefully I will get the 3D printed bracket soon.
Likes For molleraj:
Old 07-14-22, 12:38 AM
molleraj

Six months later, I finally got the top joint 3D printed. It works and looks great. I also replaced the cracked foam grips with new ones that have contours to fit the fingers. I made a YouTube video about the repair here:

Unfolded against a pole

Folded up. Nice black and white theme throughout.
Likes For molleraj:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.