Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My first restoration

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My first restoration

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-21, 03:55 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
Some bits and bobs have started to trickle in.

1941 Magistroni Frejus Campione del Mondo headset.

Frejus Headset 03 by iabisdb, on Flickr

1942 Magistroni Frejus BB cups & spindle

Frejus BB 02 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Balilla Frejus aluminum calipers

Frejus Calipers 03 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Balilla aluminum levers

Frejus Levers 03 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Frejus Levers 09 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Genuine imitation reproduction Frejus saddle by Rudi (saddle #238)

Frejus Saddle 02 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Frejus Saddle 03 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Old 08-20-21, 07:58 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
just out of idle curiosity, do you find these on Italian ebay, or are you scouring the various craigslists across Italy?
Or is it a matter of knowing a guy who knows a guy?
Pretty cool that this stuff is still floating around out there, or at least gets uncovered in a shed now and then.

Steve in Peoria
Old 08-20-21, 08:08 PM
iab

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
just out of idle curiosity, do you find these on Italian ebay, or are you scouring the various craigslists across Italy?
Or is it a matter of knowing a guy who knows a guy?
Pretty cool that this stuff is still floating around out there, or at least gets uncovered in a shed now and then.

Steve in Peoria
Yes, All of those things. Usually, the guys I know come up with the best stuff. That, and a lot of patience.
Old 08-20-21, 08:16 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
I missed the start of this and am now caught up. VERY COOL. I see you got some premium quality brake blocks and I am very excited that this will be a rider.
Old 08-20-21, 08:35 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by CV-6
Excellent choice for both. Jack has a Carré and my 753 Lejeune at the moment. His work has always been stellar for me.
until it is not
Old 11-26-21, 10:28 AM
iab

More stuff has trickled in.

Derailleur

Campagnolo cambio corsa 01 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Dork disc (technically wrong, but a good placeholder)

Campagnolo Spoke Protector 01 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Frejus pedals

Frejus Pedals 06 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Siamt crank (yes they made these with a Frejus stamp, but I'll never find one}

Siamt 01 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Brake cable clamps

Cable clamps by iabisdb, on Flickr
Likes For iab:
Old 11-26-21, 11:26 AM
repechage

Nice looking crankset. I’m sure not cheap. The bottom line of this bike will be a sum I would be reluctant to total.
Old 11-26-21, 11:31 AM
iab

Originally Posted by repechage
Nice looking crankset. I’m sure not cheap. The bottom line of this bike will be a sum I would be reluctant to total.
I did total it. Shocked me, even over the course of the year. My first restoration and likely my last.
Old 11-26-21, 12:59 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by iab
I did total it. Shocked me, even over the course of the year. My first restoration and likely my last.
My neighbor buys restored cars almost like clockwork, then sells them off after a year or two. Profit from all save one.

every bike I have purchased that needed paint has me treading water at best. But I do get them into the color I want. Something to be said for that.
Old 11-26-21, 02:44 PM
iab

A "cheap" frame suckered me in. Even adding paint cost, the overall frame cost is not out of control. But new chrome on the fork, a few correct parts and getting out what was put in becomes doubtful. No matter, I have thoroughly enjoyed the process and the bike fits in many ways.
Likes For iab:
Old 11-26-21, 03:31 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
A "cheap" frame suckered me in. Even adding paint cost, the overall frame cost is not out of control. But new chrome on the fork, a few correct parts and getting out what was put in becomes doubtful. No matter, I have thoroughly enjoyed the process and the bike fits in many ways.
If it was always about fiscally responsible restoration this forum would be non-existent.......Given the depth of your existing collection, seeing something you went all out on is a treat I am anxiously awaiting even a photographic taste of.
Likes For markk900:
Old 11-27-21, 01:02 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by iab
I reviewed a long ignored 1953 bike today, Rims are correct, front hub is not, it is a much later Record... oops, it is a 32 spoke wheel, I have extra gran sport hubs, but now need a 36 hole old Fiamme rim. My oversight, normally I review all that very closely.
So it goes.
Need to restart the search for a cottered bottom bracket and cotters also. If I want to get really accurate, Universal brand pad holders. Willing to update the pads, I think proper braking is a safe decision.
The graphics are going to be a problem. Allegedly they were sent with the bike, but there were enough screwy decisions made by the seller when packing that I have little confidence they made it into the box.
I searched Everything three times. Fortunately did find the early Campag oversized dropout adjusters in a folded up bit of paper taped so furiously I had to cut them out.
Same seller sent the junk japanese 850 gram crankset- think early 70's Sugino Maxi but worse, but did not send the early quilted Unicanitor to "save weight". Ok, send it now and bill me, "we lost it" yeah, sure.
What ticked me off even more was images of the saddle including the underside were featured in the auction. I had another project that could really have used it.
Old 11-27-21, 08:04 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
... "we lost it" ...
"Well, find it, or send me an RMA and prepaid shipping."

Worth a try?
Old 11-27-21, 08:57 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by rhm
"Well, find it, or send me an RMA and prepaid shipping."

Worth a try?
He offered a wasted period saddle instead.
On the offered saddle, the frame may have been recycleable. I tried various approaches to resolve the issue. This was long enough ago that the current eBay rules were less defined.

at the time the transaction value of the saddle I was expected was between $150-225.
Old 11-27-21, 09:04 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
He offered a wasted period saddle instead.
On the offered saddle, the frame may have been recycleable. I tried various approaches to resolve the issue. This was long enough ago that the current eBay rules were less defined.

at the time the transaction value of the saddle I was expected was between $150-225.
I hear you, or should I say, 'been there, done that.'

I have my vices, but I am not a gambler. Except for eBay. Ebay is definitely a form of gambling, and sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. Sometimes you get outmaneuvered, like the time I bought a pair of "alloy" fenders. I complained, after they arrived, that they were steel. Seller replied "steel is an alloy" and, of course he was right. He still misled me, but... eff it. You win some, you lose some.
Old 11-27-21, 09:12 PM
repechage

I purchased one other bike from Italy, a French bike even. I was the only bid. Shipping was more than the bike.
was lucky that time, seller made good.
on that one I was expecting, “ it was lost “.
the minimum bid was probably the least he would accept.
Old 11-28-21, 09:16 AM
iab

A few more pictures this morning. Finally made it to the stand.

Frejus 01642 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Frejus Fork 01 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Frejus Fork 02 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Frejus Fork 03 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Ambrosio Stem Bars 01 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Ambrosio Stem Bars 02 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Ambrosio Stem Bars 03 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Likes For iab:
Old 11-28-21, 09:57 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 543 Posts
iab I think this is a fantastic project and the bike is looking great! Frankly, I don’t get all the talk about the amount of $$ spent and being underwater. This a hobby/labor of love. Hobbies cost money. People buy new bikes that depreciate enormously, ergo - you are underwater, but that is viewed as “the way it is”.

Interesting that the bike is from 1942. Most sporting events in Europe were canceled since Adolf’s troops were steamrolling the continent. Kind of neat to think despite that there were dedicated people still brazing together bicycles.
Old 11-28-21, 10:03 AM
rootesgroup

Bikes: 1952-ish BSA Sunbeam, 1964 Schwinn Fleet, 1964 JC Higgins, 1970s Sears Step-Thru, 1969 Raleigh Sunbeam, Late 40's Raleigh Rod Brake, Late 40's BSA Sunbeam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
I prefer the janky old original bikes. I may remove somerust, clean, find missing/broken parts, lubricate and get them back on the road, but those are really preservation of the current condition, not restoring it to how it was once in the past.

This approach is also how I work on bikes. To each his own, of course, but I like an old fully functioning bicycle that I can enjoy. In fact, this is my approach for all the old stuff I work on, including cars and pinball machines. This approach is probably born out of not having spent the time to build restoration skills. Mechanical skills seem natural to me. I owe this to my Dad who never made a lot of money but provided for his family excellently with his ability to fix almost anything because he had to.

So, when I approach a bicycle project, I generally do the following:

- clean all parts of all rust. Metal parts, including chrome, are cleaned with 0000 steel wool, kept "wet" with polishing compound. A highly respected pinball guru that I know taught me that you can even use 0000 steel wool to clean up pinball playfields and parts if you keep the wool "wet", in the pinball case with some pinball friendly compounds.

- remove all old grease from all bearings and races. I soak the bearings in kerosene and clean them with an old tooth brush. I will blow them clean of kerosene with spray can brake cleaner, then wash them with Dawn detergent, then immediately blow them dry with my compressor.

- all bearings and surfaces are replaced with a name brand synthetic grease. I don't grease the old Sturmey archer hubs as they were meant to use only oil and I keep up with the oil maintenance. If the bearings are not in a cage I will most likely replace them with new bearings. Race surfaces are polished to try to remove any minor scratches.

- shiny metal parts will be treated with Quick Glo to protect them after they have been polished as much as they can be. Quick Glo is said to last about a year on autos, maybe not as long on bikes but it has worked well for months so far.

- mudguards or fenders will be cleaned of all rust. the underside is fair game to any protection method. I have used a Rust protection spray paint that is as close to the fender color as I can get. It need not be perfect as it will generally not be seen. If the underside is very rusty I will clean off the rust and use The Eastwood Auto Restoration company's rust encapsulator before spraying a color over it. The topsides will be cleaned of all dirt and rust. I may actually do a little paint touch up if the color is an easy to match black or white. the fender tops are lastly coated with a dead flat clear matte spray paint. This leaves them without shine, pretty much as they were when I got them but they are protected. The frame may get a clear coat or just a good waxing. The worse the paint is, the more likely that I will use a clear coat.

- all of the mechanical aspects are tended to. I am not great at all of these aspects but I am learning and getting better with practice. Everything is on the table, whatever is required.

I end up with an unrestored but very respectable looking bike that works as it should and provides the enjoyment that I want from it.

Last edited by rootesgroup; 11-28-21 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-13-22, 10:05 AM
iab

It is complete. More pics - https://www.flickr.com/photos/681231...57718286844181

Frejus 01 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Old 02-13-22, 10:48 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
Interesting project, well done. The backend is new to me. I can picture the shifting, but cannot picture myself doing it. If there is criticism in that, it is directed at me. I was going to suggest adding Frejus Decals until my brain caught the down tube. I like decal less bikes, but yours is kind of special and should be recognized.
Old 02-13-22, 10:59 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
Thanks for posting the Flickr album! So many cool details!
The lugs are impressive, that chainring spider is so unique, and even the Frejus labeling on the hubs is an unexpected detail (to me, at least).

Can I ask about the lube fitting on the headtube? When I see them (which isn't often), it's usually just above the lower bearings. Does the mid-tube location do anything special, or was it just "good enough"?

A great restoration! I hope to see it someday and hear some of the stories of the process.

Steve in Peoria
Old 02-13-22, 11:20 AM
iab

Originally Posted by delbiker1
Interesting project, well done. The backend is new to me. I can picture the shifting, but cannot picture myself doing it. If there is criticism in that, it is directed at me. I was going to suggest adding Frejus Decals until my brain caught the down tube. I like decal less bikes, but yours is kind of special and should be recognized.
The decals on the bike are proper for 1942. You start to see the big garish ones in the early 50s.
Old 02-13-22, 11:30 AM
iab

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
Thanks for posting the Flickr album! So many cool details!
The lugs are impressive, that chainring spider is so unique, and even the Frejus labeling on the hubs is an unexpected detail (to me, at least).

Can I ask about the lube fitting on the headtube? When I see them (which isn't often), it's usually just above the lower bearings. Does the mid-tube location do anything special, or was it just "good enough"?

A great restoration! I hope to see it someday and hear some of the stories of the process.

Steve in Peoria
Is it an oil fitting or is it just a bump? Many times on newer bikers the bump is for a frame pump to run along the top tube. Frejus had a head tube oiler on their Campione del Mondo model, in the middle of the tube, from the early 40s until about the late 50s.

For Frejus it was common to have the hubs, calipers, headset, BB cups, BB spindle, saddle and crank branded. Mostly just Frejus but here I found a Frejus CdM headset and Frejus CM hubs. In this case, I could not find the Siamt crank branded and just went with a "blank" one. Also, quite rarely (actually, only once) I have seen Frejus branded Balilla levers, but again, could not find a pair. Binachi and Legnano would brand the stem, but for some reason I don't think Frejus ever did.
Likes For iab:
Old 02-13-22, 11:32 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Overall a wonderful restoration - the crank especially is a work of art - so delicate and flowing.... So glad you put your magic touch on this one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.