Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mavic Bibs are So Nice!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Mavic Bibs are So Nice!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-21, 01:23 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Mavic Bibs are So Nice!

The Pro's Closet has some Mavic bibs at closeout prices; I bought these two:

Mavic Cosmic Ultimate SL Bib Shorts Total Eclips | The Pro's Closet (theproscloset.com)

Mavic Cosmic Bib Shorts Black/White | The Pro's Closet (theproscloset.com)

"Total Eclipse" is Mavic speak for navy blue. Here are my thoughts comparing the two:

1. The fabric of the Ultimate SL is thinner and more compressive than the Cosmic. Although I bought both in the same size (XXL), the Ultimate SL feels marginally tighter.
2. Both bibs are the same overall length, but the leg gripper of the Ultimate SL is a band extending from the leg, while the leg gripper of the Cosmic is a silicon band under the fabric. They provide similar grip.
3. According to the respective product tags, the Ergo 3D Pro chamois of the Ultimate SL and the Ergo 3D Elite chamois of the Cosmic are the same except for the middle layer, which is Ortholite memory foam in the Ultimate SL and Ortholite foam in the Cosmic. Both pads feel the same to my bum.

The Ultimate SL is fancier than the Cosmic but I do not feel that it is worth the current $52.80 difference between them. (I got the Ultimate SL with a $25 coupon, and I am not sure even that smaller difference is justified.)

Both Mavic bibs are much nicer than the Gore C5 bibs (XL) I bought for $100 each a year ago or the Louis Garneau Optimum shorts (XL) I started with a few years ago. The Mavic chamois are firmer and so comfortable that I forgot I was wearing new bibs during my first ride in each.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 12-23-21, 01:26 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

So nice I ordered a third model (with another $25 off $100 discount), which also has an Ergo 3D Pro chamois (according to online reviews):

Mavic Allroad Bib Shorts Total Eclipse | The Pro's Closet (theproscloset.com)

These have longer inseams so I can work on the tan lines on my thighs.

Edit: The chamois on this model is an Ergo 3D Pro Endurance chamois, which is thicker than those on the other two. It feels too thick when I pinched it so I probably have to return this bib.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 12-24-21 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Updated Information.
Old 12-27-21, 01:59 PM
dbf73
TFO

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL7 eTap, Felt AR-B, Colnago Master Mapei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
How is sizing?
Old 12-27-21, 02:01 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by dbf73
How is sizing?
True European sizing, which means I had to go one size up.

As pointed out above (in post #1), I am XL in Gore bibs and Louis Garneau shorts, but got XXL in the Mavic bibs.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 12-27-21, 08:06 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I like Mavic Cosmic bibs so much that I just ordered another (in blue so I can distinguish from the two I already bought):

Mavic Cosmic Bib Shorts Eclipse/White | The Pro's Closet (theproscloset.com)

The shoulder straps are wider and thicker and provide a firmer and more elastic tug to keep the bibs in place. (If you are significantly above average height I imagine they can give you a slight wedgie.)

Now I understand why some reviewers state that the Gore C5 bibs (which have semi-sheer shoulder straps) feel cheap.
Old 12-27-21, 08:54 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
So do you like Mavic bib's bro?
Old 12-27-21, 08:57 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by krakhaus
So do you like Mavic bib's bro?
Heh heh, yes. My wife might confiscate my credit card if I order a fourth pair?

The Velominati should legislate a new guideline (if not rule) in my honor, about matching one's bibs to one's wheels.
Old 12-27-21, 09:13 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
The Pro's Closet has some Mavic bibs at closeout prices; I bought these two:

Mavic Cosmic Ultimate SL Bib Shorts Total Eclips | The Pro's Closet (theproscloset.com)

Mavic Cosmic Bib Shorts Black/White | The Pro's Closet (theproscloset.com)

"Total Eclipse" is Mavic speak for navy blue. Here are my thoughts comparing the two:

1. The fabric of the Ultimate SL is thinner and more compressive than the Cosmic. Although I bought both in the same size (XXL), the Ultimate SL feels marginally tighter.
2. Both bibs are the same overall length, but the leg gripper of the Ultimate SL is a band extending from the leg, while the leg gripper of the Cosmic is a silicon band under the fabric. They provide similar grip.
3. According to the respective product tags, the Ergo 3D Pro chamois of the Ultimate SL and the Ergo 3D Elite chamois of the Cosmic are the same except for the middle layer, which is Ortholite memory foam in the Ultimate SL and Ortholite foam in the Cosmic. Both pads feel the same to my bum.

The Ultimate SL is fancier than the Cosmic but I do not feel that it is worth the current $52.80 difference between them. (I got the Ultimate SL with a $25 coupon, and I am not sure even that smaller difference is justified.)

Both Mavic bibs are much nicer than the Gore C5 bibs (XL) I bought for $100 each a year ago or the Louis Garneau Optimum shorts (XL) I started with a few years ago. The Mavic chamois are firmer and so comfortable that I forgot I was wearing new bibs during my first ride in each.
Does the SL have any silicon at all? I'm allergic to the s**t.
Old 12-27-21, 10:29 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by one4smoke
Does the SL have any silicon at all? I'm allergic to the s**t.
Seriously? I don't think so.

Si is the symbol for silicon (Periodic Table - Ptable); SL is the acronym for Super Light.