Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trouble with Silca Hiro chuck . . .

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-20, 07:35 PM
pakossa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

Never was crazy about the chuck that came on the Silca pump I got a while back (losing air while putting it on and off, chuck blowing off, etc.). Recently found out about the Hiro chuck, figured that would be better, but it seems to be much WORSE! Only way I found to get the chuck on and off without losing half the air from the tire is to leave the lever closed all the time. Is that the way its supposed to work? (I thought the lever should be open when putting it on and off.)
Old 02-08-20, 07:43 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
This may help.
I have to ask. Are you sure the air coming out when you release the chuck is not just the air left in the pump hose? Very common to hear a big ssssttttt coming from the pump when releasing the chuck.
Old 02-08-20, 07:46 PM
pakossa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I'm ABSOLUTELY certain its not the air coming out of the hose, because the tire is almost FLAT after that (about 20 psi left in it).
Old 02-08-20, 09:08 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Years ago I switched to unthreaded valve stems to use with my Silva pump. I found that the threaded stems just chewed up the chuck seal, while there was enough grip on the smooth stem to hold the chuck in place at the pressures I used (100-110 psi). There aren’t many tires with 50-60mm smooth stems, but they’re out there, and the chuck seal lasts for years.
Old 02-09-20, 07:43 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
Years ago I switched to unthreaded valve stems to use with my Silva pump. I found that the threaded stems just chewed up the chuck seal, while there was enough grip on the smooth stem to hold the chuck in place at the pressures I used (100-110 psi). There aren’t many tires with 50-60mm smooth stems, but they’re out there, and the chuck seal lasts for years.
FYI, the modern urethane pump gaskets hold up to threaded stems better than the traditional butyl rubber gaskets.
Old 02-11-20, 09:17 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
When you use the Hiro chuck, do you shove it down hard enough to depress the presta valve? If so, you’re doing it wrong. I unscrew the valve, open the chuck, slide until the threads give a little resistance, then close the chuck. The air pressure when you pump breaks the seal (which is only held by air pressure in the tube), unlike a Schrader valve where the chuck has to overcome spring force.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 02-12-20, 08:40 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
When you use the Hiro chuck, do you shove it down hard enough to depress the presta valve? If so, you’re doing it wrong. I unscrew the valve, open the chuck, slide until the threads give a little resistance, then close the chuck. The air pressure when you pump breaks the seal (which is only held by air pressure in the tube), unlike a Schrader valve where the chuck has to overcome spring force.
+1. This is the way to use it. I bought a Hero chuck in 2010 as an aftermarket replacement for the OEM chuck on my Park PFP-4 floor pump. The chuck was ridiculously expensive ($75!) but worth every cent. It has been flawless in daily use requiring only one replacement gasket in all that time. As noted, just push the chuck onto the valve stem until it seats on the threads and close the side lever. Adjust the required force to close the lever by threading the end cap looser or tighter to get a good seal but not needing excessive closing force.
Old 01-28-22, 10:58 AM
LetRip

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Correct way to use a Silca Hiro Locking Chuck

Originally Posted by aggiegrads
Spot on advice, for way too long was pressing down too hard, realised this error recently and now its so much more straightforward (cue slaps head emoji)
Old 01-29-22, 09:35 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Recently splurged and bought the Silca floor pump with Hiro head and compared it to my old Specialized pump with rubber hose and flip chuck that does have to be pushed on the valve firmly - I was disappointed with the Silca pump that I received - foot base was very hard to attach , not a fan of the stiff braided hose , was as difficult as the Specialized getting from 90 to 100 lbs , and had to think too much in placing the Hiro on the valve otherwise the spokes prevented closure of the lever - I had seen the video and so I knew not to push the chuck down too much.

I returned the pump to Silca but unfortunately their policy only provides store credit - and so my old pump is Ok for now but I'm thinking of getting a compressor and like the Park head but an alternative would be the Hirame head which looks to be designed similar to my Specialized .

Last edited by blinky; 01-29-22 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-29-22, 06:18 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by blinky
... but an alternative would be the Hirame head which looks to be designed similar to my Specialized .
Other than cosmetic, I can't see any difference between the Hiro and Hirame.
Old 01-29-22, 07:03 PM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Other than cosmetic, I can't see any difference between the Hiro and Hirame.
I was wrong , took another look at the demo video for both , think I was opening the lever too far before attaching to the valve - other responders pointed OP to the solution of the issue - in my case I proved that it wasn't rational to get a new pump after checking out the Silca , a mistake .