Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Any info on this Magneet?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-22, 06:42 PM
LBCwanabe 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 132 Posts

My parents picked this up for me. I live the color but know nothing about it. Can anyone give me any info? Thanks!

Likes For LBCwanabe:
Old 02-26-22, 06:47 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
I like it. It looks like it has some bike boom panache.

Old 02-26-22, 08:13 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
Uhm…ITS ORANGE! I like it already , and it looks mostly original. Someone will be along that actually knows something about these. This is the second one I’ve ever seen and the other one was the same color.
Old 02-26-22, 08:51 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Though I am unfamiliar with the marque itself, I have seen many many very similar Bike Boom road bike offerings...

Basically, and not meaning to sound offensive, the OP's bike is pretty entry level. That is not a bad thing but, to me, it suggests that I would not spend a great deal of money getting it road worthy and safe to ride. I don't always follow my own advice though, as can be seen in my entry level Torpado. Though not quite bottom of the line, the Torpado is pretty close. I bought components, decals and paint in an effort to build the bike as close to original as I could. That said, when compared to the OP's Magneet, my Torpado did/does have a couple of things going for it with the lovely chrome lug work and chrome socks...

So, my best advice is to get the bike road worthy and safe to ride - then ride it for a while. If the ride is to your liking, then you can consider spending a bit more, or even a lot more, to get it just the way you want it.
Old 02-26-22, 08:52 PM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
Dutch made ....inexpensive 'bike boom' 10 speed
Old 02-27-22, 12:23 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 141 Posts
Magneet was part of the Intercycle group.
I think this was their cheapest model, same basic frame as the Batavus and Fongers, just a different name

349 guilders in the mid 70s at my LBS.

Living in Gazelle country these were scoffed at in general though we grudgingly admired the Batavus Professionals.
Old 02-27-22, 04:51 AM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
This is a catalogue from 1971, Magneet was since 1969 owned by Batavus, they used the brand till in the eighties.
I think yours is an earlier one when I check this one,

Old 02-27-22, 05:39 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
Serial number says it's a 1972 bike. The Batavus / Margneet / Germaan / Fongers / Phoenix Sprint model sort of straddled the gap between "normal" sports bikes (which weren't very sporty) and the more racing-oriented models during the seventies. They were - and still are - quite popular. I still see them regularly.

They seem to respond well to upgrades. I rather like sykerocker 's Magneet Sprint.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 02-27-22, 07:10 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 1,575 Times in 731 Posts
I like it. There's a lot of neat details that will pop after a clean and polish; the cool stem, the seat stay tops, the decals, the front hub...

Last edited by BTinNYC; 02-27-22 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-27-22, 08:04 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I have a 1973 spec sheet which lists the Sprint de Luxe as being Huret or Simplex equipped and having wingnut equipped hubs. Assuming the bicycle has original components, the presence of SunTour derailleurs and standard hex nuts suggests that the bicycle is post 1973. Other items. like the plastic spoke protector, presence of a chainring guard, stem mounted shift levers and safety levers also suggest newer than the previously mentioned dates. It would be interesting to know the date codes on the SunTour derailleurs.

It looks like it may have a kickstand plate in place of a traditonal chainstay bridge. This, in conjuction with the plate style brake bridge, would place the bicycle at lower entry level, similar to a department store bicycle.

FYI, the 1973 MSRP was $135.00 US. It was the better of the two lightweight models imported into the USA by B.M. Lawrence & Company and was also known by the model number M-45. There was a lower M-42 Spint at $115.00 US. These prices seem quite high for the era and level of the bicycle, though they did come with some accessories, as the spec sheet mentions the kickstand and a MAFAC tool kit being included.
Old 02-27-22, 04:26 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
From 1968 to at least 1985 Batavus used a serial numbering system where the first digit denotes the build year. So the number I see on the aluminum plate above the rear brake is either from '72 or from '82. And it's not '82, as the Magneet brand wasn't used anymore by then. See if it matches the number on the BB shell.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 03-03-22, 06:01 PM
LBCwanabe 

Originally Posted by T-Mar
I have a 1973 spec sheet which lists the Sprint de Luxe as being Huret or Simplex equipped and having wingnut equipped hubs. Assuming the bicycle has original components, the presence of SunTour derailleurs and standard hex nuts suggests that the bicycle is post 1973. Other items. like the plastic spoke protector, presence of a chainring guard, stem mounted shift levers and safety levers also suggest newer than the previously mentioned dates. It would be interesting to know the date codes on the SunTour derailleurs.

It looks like it may have a kickstand plate in place of a traditonal chainstay bridge. This, in conjuction with the plate style brake bridge, would place the bicycle at lower entry level, similar to a department store bicycle.

FYI, the 1973 MSRP was $135.00 US. It was the better of the two lightweight models imported into the USA by B.M. Lawrence & Company and was also known by the model number M-45. There was a lower M-42 Spint at $115.00 US. These prices seem quite high for the era and level of the bicycle, though they did come with some accessories, as the spec sheet mentions the kickstand and a MAFAC tool kit being included.

Old 03-03-22, 06:19 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
Originally Posted by LBCwanabe

-----

front mech marking indicates December 1972 date of manufacture

rear mech marking indicates October 1972 date of manufacture

lines right up with a 1973 model year product

​​​​​​Date of Manufacture of Bicycle Components can be used to date a bike: component dating

-----

-----
Old 08-18-23, 07:16 PM
LBCwanabe 

I finally got out for a ride on this bike 👍

Likes For LBCwanabe:
Old 08-19-23, 03:10 AM
DanseMacabre

Bikes: 1957 Motobecane camping bike, 1974 Manufrance Super Course STC, 1977 Peugeot camping bike, 1978 Liberia C15

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 43 Posts
Hope you liked the ride
The rims seem to be aluminium? In that case, no real need for any upgrades Just enjoy it as it is, or change things according to preference.
Old 08-19-23, 05:24 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Very nice job rehabbing the bike. What did you do with the TA water bottle cage that came on the bike? Assuming it is salvageable (it has a fair amount of rust at least from the pic), someone will want it. I know I keep my eye out for them. There is a bike local to me that I am mildly tempted in buying just to get my hands on another TA water bottle cage.