Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Favero Assiamo Power Pedals

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Favero Assiamo Power Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-22, 09:50 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 1,147 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Can you elaborate on your Fig. 3 chart? Eg. if I look at the Stages results. Is that 1 individual unit tested 13 different times? Or is this result of having tested 13 individual different Stages PMs?
It's from this study on the accuracy of power meters. Each dot is a separate device, so there are a total of 54 different devices from 9 manufacturers (and owned or used by 32 different individuals). The analysis wasn't just a comparison like Ray or GPLama do, the test was actually on a known and calibrated "bike treadmill," so this wasn't just a "relative to each other" test, it was an absolute accuracy test.

BTW, on the "consistency with itself is all that matters:" several years ago I discovered that the cheap plastic measuring cups I had been using were off. Two of the half cup measures didn't equal the one cup measure, etc. Obviously, each of the cups was consistent with itself, what was off was the relationship between each cup. You may know that baking is more demanding of accurate measurements than regular cooking. Even though I didn't know the measuring cups were off, over the years I had noticed that my baking was inconsistent *even though the cups were consistent unto themselves*. When I replaced them with new, accurate, measuring cups my baking improved. I'm not a professional baker, I just like eating. OTOH, if I never baked I may never have known. The need for accuracy and precision depends on what you're doing with the data.
Old 04-17-22, 10:34 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 692 Posts
Accuracy vs Precision

Originally Posted by RChung
several years ago I discovered that the cheap plastic measuring cups I had been using were off. Two of the half cup measures didn't equal the one cup measure,
This subject keeps coming up.
This is the difference between "Accuracy" and "Precision"... Terms that we incorrectly tend to use interchangeably.

You place a 1 pound weight on the same scale 3 times and get the following readings...
2.001 pounds
2.002 pounds
1.999 pounds

That scale IS a precision instrument, but it's sure NOT accurate.
With most of us comparing PM readings to our own prior performance, precision is required, accuracy would be nice.

My coach accused my Wahoo Kickr Bike PM of being wildly inaccurate when compared with my Road bike dual Stages PM.
I installed Garmin Vector pedals on the Road bike and compared. The Vectors read 3% high across a range of powers.
I then installed the same Garmin pedals on the Wahoo Kickr bike and compared. Again the Vectors read 3% high across the range of powers.

I was glad both my PM's read the same. But even with a 3% difference, I'd consider all 3 PMs accurate enough for my usage.

Barry
Old 04-17-22, 11:38 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Originally Posted by Barry2
But even with a 3% difference, I'd consider all 3 PMs accurate enough for my usage.
Yup. The need for accuracy and precision depends on usage. Sometimes needs change over time, so usage changes; sometimes they don't.

That said, post #14 above shows what a 4% average difference between two power meters looked like.

[Edited to add:] There are 28 posts in this thread and a quarter of them are by me. Damn you asgelle.

Last edited by RChung; 04-17-22 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-17-22, 08:16 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
[Edited to add:] There are 28 posts in this thread and a quarter of them are by me. Damn you asgelle.
And here I thought I was saving you from all that by referring people to what had already been posted.
Old 04-18-22, 07:13 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4396 Post(s)
Liked 4,842 Times in 2,996 Posts

My coach accused my Wahoo Kickr Bike PM of being wildly inaccurate when compared with my Road bike dual Stages PM.
Time for a new coach?
Old 04-18-22, 07:40 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Time for a new coach?
Nope, coach is a keeper.
I told him I don’t use an indoor trainer, “I have an indoor bike”, and I think he assumed the worse.
Even the Peloton does not have an actual PM. Those estimate power from resistance and cadence.
I was surprised to find out that even with Pelotons calibration kit, expected PM accuracy is about 15%.

Barry
Old 04-18-22, 08:05 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4396 Post(s)
Liked 4,842 Times in 2,996 Posts
Nope, coach is a keeper.
I told him I don’t use an indoor trainer, “I have an indoor bike”, and I think he assumed the worse.
Even the Peloton does not have an actual PM. Those estimate power from resistance and cadence.
I was surprised to find out that even with Pelotons calibration kit, expected PM accuracy is about 15%.

Barry
Why didn't you just tell him you had a Kickr Bike? Well known to be accurate and consistent. According to DC Rainmaker's detailed analysis, the Peloton Bike+ also has very accurate power measurement, but not the standard Peloton.
Old 04-22-22, 02:44 PM
OshkoshBiker

Bikes: DB Haanjo Comp, Trek 1.2, Murray MTB, Framed Minnesota 2.0, Top Fuel 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
As someone who studies the data from power meters vs. just using the sensors in your smartphone to calculate power, I agree that most users are putting way to much importance on a power meters claim they are super accurate. There are so many variables in the real world that mess with your power meter data. Anyone in a controlled environment can claim +- 1%, but my research tells me that in real riding conditions +- 10% is pretty good. There is a lot of noise in the data based on road condition, wind variances and so on.

Kind regards,
Chuck
Cykelstrom.com
Old 04-22-22, 02:53 PM
asgelle

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by OshkoshBiker
There is a lot of noise in the data based on road condition, wind variances and so on.
How do road conditions or changes in wind affect power meters? The ones I use comprise strain gauges and a reed switch. I don't see how road conditions or wind would compromise their accuracy.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 04-22-22, 03:08 PM
OshkoshBiker

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
There is a certain amount of noise due to impulses that the strain gauges pick up from just going over a rough road or bump which are not a result of power dissipation. Depending on how the signal is filtered or averaged to eliminate the noise affects the power measurement. Also, if you pedal hard and fast vs. say a smooth pedaling motion, the rider can induce a different kind of noise in the signal. Wind can affect power measurement in high gusts and cross winds which catch the cyclist and bicycle creating an impulse which can also be picked up by the strain gauges through the movement of the cyclists mass on the crank. There are a myriad of things that happen while riding and my experience is that the sensors are super sensitive, in some cases too sensitive and the accuracy can depend on the signal processing to eliminate those noise sources which impact accuracy.

Kind regards,
Chuck
Cykelstrom.com
Old 04-24-22, 06:16 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Originally Posted by OshkoshBiker
There is a certain amount of noise due to impulses that the strain gauges pick up from just going over a rough road or bump which are not a result of power dissipation. Depending on how the signal is filtered or averaged to eliminate the noise affects the power measurement. Also, if you pedal hard and fast vs. say a smooth pedaling motion, the rider can induce a different kind of noise in the signal. Wind can affect power measurement in high gusts and cross winds which catch the cyclist and bicycle creating an impulse which can also be picked up by the strain gauges through the movement of the cyclists mass on the crank. There are a myriad of things that happen while riding and my experience is that the sensors are super sensitive, in some cases too sensitive and the accuracy can depend on the signal processing to eliminate those noise sources which impact accuracy.

Kind regards,
Chuck
Cykelstrom.com
That's interesting. Have you taken the data from different power meters and back-calculated what the gusts, cross winds, pedaling type, and road roughness must have been?
Old 04-24-22, 07:49 PM
OshkoshBiker

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
That's interesting. Have you taken the data from different power meters and back-calculated what the gusts, cross winds, pedaling type, and road roughness must have been?
I have not done such a study as my resources are limited. My observations are based on looking at opposing force power meter estimates, smartphone sensors, and a crank based power meter as the standard.

Kind regards,
Chuck
Cykelstrom.com
Old 07-03-23, 11:55 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
I just got some Assioma Duo-Shi power meter pedals that work with Shimano SPD-L pedals and I personally would highly recommend.

I am 5'5" and pretty darn narrow so I was pretty nervous once I ordered these since I kept hearing about the massive Q-Factor, plus the bike these went on has a fairly large Q-factor from the big bottom bracket. I am decent at wrenching but a lot of stuff I take to the LBS but assembling these on my Shimano 105 SPD-L pedals was quick and painless. First ride I did notice the increase Q-Factor but to my surprise I was totally comfortable but maybe this shouldn't have come as a surprise since I grew up riding hardtails. The only issue is reclipping in was sometimes cumbersome due to the extra Q-Factor, but again no discomfort at all.

I am new to power but the accuracy seems right on par with my single sided SRAM Force D2 Quark Left Crank power meter on my other bike.

At $500 I think you are getting a pretty great value even if you are not including the pedal body cost since I would assume most people already have SPD-L pedals to begin with, this is probably one of the cheapest and easiest way to get into power with also having the most versatility. I can put these on any bike in a matter of minutes.
Likes For Jrasero:
Old 10-30-23, 02:42 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
For anyone wondering, about dual vs single sided power meter, the difference in terms of accuracy is minor. Any power meter is better than no power meter since you have some sort of baseline to measure power regardless of accuracy. Now after you know your average output, then yeah that's when accuracy starts to matter but like anything in cycling it's marginal gains especially when your factor in money.

IMO Favero Assioma DUO-SHI are one of the best value dual sided power meters out there ($520) if you have Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL pedals or lower and you are okay with the added Q-Factor